Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Pitch/speed correction for analog transfers  (Read 2479 times)

Offline hobbes4444

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Pitch/speed correction for analog transfers
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:23:43 PM »
so my nak deck does a very nice job playing back my old analog masters.  however, i think the pitch is slightly off compared to the speed of the old D6C i used to make the recordings.  i tried the speed correction tool in audacity and it doesn't seem stable/consistent when i speed correct a segment.  is there a better (free) method to fix the slight speed issue with these transfers? 
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Pitch/speed correction for analog transfers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »
so my nak deck does a very nice job playing back my old analog masters.  however, i think the pitch is slightly off compared to the speed of the old D6C i used to make the recordings.  i tried the speed correction tool in audacity and it doesn't seem stable/consistent when i speed correct a segment.  is there a better (free) method to fix the slight speed issue with these transfers?

Do not use Audacity for speed correction.  It is terrible for that (and many higher end processes).  Fortunately as a taper you have ears to notice (unlike some who use it and don't). 

As you found it is virtually certain that any two analog tape recorders will run at different speeds (creating a pitch variance when a tape is played back elsewhere). 

Assuming you had stable speed end to end on the master (and assuming they all recorded at the same running speed over time) you should be able to find a consistent offset.  If so you can apply that to each recording (either cassette side by cassette side, or to the entire edited result, if consistent).  The best thing to use is a solid audio editor.  Audition (or Cool Edit before it) is very good for this (using the Pitch Correction function in semi-tone scale, not %, and not Pitch Bender).  You can save your pre-set there and keep using it on all of them if there is a common offset.  Other professional editing tools will also have that function.  It all depends on what you use (just don't use Audacity). 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:07 PM »
Thanks!  Yes, the D6C yielded fairly consistent results from what I recall, and the Nak deck seems solid, just a touch fast.  So a set it and forget it should work.  Will look into Audition.  A few friends may have it.

Thanks!!
DPA 4061 (unmatched HEB and stock), AT933 hypercard caps (Sound Pro), Nak 300s, chopped Nak 300s
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 10:35:56 AM »
Does you NAK have "Manual Playback Azimuth Correction"?
What model do you have?
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline hobbes4444

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 01:41:06 AM »
Yes, I have a Cassette Deck 1 with azimuth control
Denecke AD-20
Church 9100 mini XLR
D8, M1, R-09, MTII

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com