Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What is the most casual way to tape + enjoy the show w/friends?  (Read 11870 times)

Offline psychwolf

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: What is the most casual way to tape + enjoy the show w/friends?
« Reply #45 on: April 13, 2014, 05:38:03 PM »
Hey everyone, just wanted to check back on this thread. Thanks for all of the comments. I totally understand the need to set the noob on the right path, and I appreciate any comments. And it's awesome to know about that taping booth -- what a great idea!  I knew there were venues out there cool with taping like that.

I posted my first "tape" in the new tapes thread (I still have to figure out the logistics of posting to the Live Music Archive so for now: https://soundcloud.com/psychwolf/sleepcomesdown-live-at-the), but my first experience was really cool. I just went with a small Tascom DR05, and talked to the sound guy who let me put it right by his booth. I set the levels low (probably too low since I was cautious), turned the limiter on, and would check in on it periodically. People were really cool about it.

I took the recording back the next day, equalized and leveled it with sound forge (since I had the level very low), and then posted the flac to soundcloud and gave the band a torrent of the files. All-in-all, a great experience and I felt like I was actually helping the bands get some live shows out there to their fans (turns out they were video recording the same night). That's why I wanted to get into this since I'm always going to shows, liking bands, and finding myself trying to tell people what a band is like over and over.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #46 on: April 14, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »
Good news! I'm happy to see we didn't scare you off. :)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2014, 05:39:50 PM »
Here's a pic of the setup Im doing. Pictured below is where the 100' GAKables XLRs are being installed at the Stage Stop in Rollinsville, CO. The cables will run from the mic stand mounted on top of the rafter FOB about 15' from stage, to the left along the top of the rafter, back down the side wall, then right along the top of the next rafter, down the brick column, meeting up with the snake going to back of SBD, with enough room to run directly into the Midas SBD for matrix, or to the side of the SBD to plug into a rig. This is a way to record without interfering with your tape, but it helps to know the owner and the sound engineer to get approval for such an install.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com