Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: I'm Officially Retired...  (Read 21164 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I'm Officially Retired...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2014, 07:29:59 PM »
Pul-eeze.  Stealth taping wore you out?  I mean how hard is it? You shove a couple mikes into a hat and press the "record button." 

You STFU, but I STFU when I'm not taping. 

I guess you can't turn your head and check out the babes, but other than that how difficult is it?

I've been stealth taping since 1970--my first rig was a cassette with a Sony stereo mike duct taped to a Popeil Pocket Fisherman Pole.  Its actually gotten easier.  As Ron Popeil would say, I just set it and forget it. 

Maybe I'm a little tongue in  cheek but I urge you to reconsider.  Open Taping is on the decline and we need more experienced tapers.

The 'wore me out' part basically meant that, for me, after maybe a couple hundred shows, stealthing eventually killed my desire to go out to shows anymore.  Enough so that when I needed cash, it wasn't that big a deal at that point in my recording life that I sold all my stuff and got out. 

Hard work?  Yeah, I agree with you...not hardly.  As someone else has said, it's more being diligent and focused. 

But yeah standing there in silence even if you feel like letting go an occasional woo woo, ignoring a friend that might come up and say hi, having to hold it when half way through the show you already feel a need to pee in a cup, it's just not where I'm at in taping anymore.

I think another difference for me is that, when it comes to a show, for me it's never been only about getting a good recording.  I don't go to shows just to record...I'm there to enjoy a show too.  That's why I've never really been too bothered by the people that alot of tapers consider douchebags.  Even though I completely understand the POV and empathize with the trials and tribulations of my taper brothers, I've never had too much of a problem with anyone at shows that are just there having fun, though there are certainly exceptions. 

I'm not disagreeing with anything that the guys that like stealthing have said, I think it's fantastic that people do it.   If it was the only option available to me, I'd probably be doing it but I think my approach would probably be like Fatah Rourke's.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 07:45:41 PM by tonedeaf »

Marshall7

Re: I'm Officially Retired...As a Stealth Taper
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2014, 08:08:58 PM »

stealthing is often more of a pain in the ass than it's worth especially if a crowd is badly behaved.

And to disagree...I often find open taping is more of a pain in the ass.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2014, 10:16:19 PM »
In my completely anecdotal experience, taping has always been better received in New York, the South and certain other places than in places like LA or even DC. A lot of it has to do with whether the venues are controlled by cool people, uncool people, or by massive corporations, among other factors.

FWIW, don't slag DC...  Even the 9:30 will let you record (where they want you) if the band says it's OK and signs a waiver saying they'll pay the 9:30 $5K if they release any of it...  LOL.  Most of the places here are cool if the band is though. 

It does depend a lot on who is running things but I don't think that's geographical.  Just luck of the draw (other than LA as I understand it). 

There are friendly places and unfriendly places and I find that friendly/unfriendly factor extends to almost everything about them (much more than just recording). 

I pretty much only go to places I like the vibe of.  If it seems likely I can record open while there I ask and go that route.  If that's going to be an issue or the venue doesn't allow I just go low key.  It really has no impact on my enjoyment of the show either way (though does impact how much crap I need to drag along with me).  It's like sleepwalking at this point...  Most of my friends who are regulars I couldn't tell they were taping if I didn't know they were.  Some of the musicians here who know me used to ask me afterward if I'd recorded something when I didn't have the stand up or a camera running.  Now they just know, even if they couldn't tell... 

But yeah, if it isn't fun for you don't do it... 
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 10:28:41 PM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2014, 11:08:18 PM »

The 'wore me out' part basically meant that, for me, after maybe a couple hundred shows, stealthing eventually killed my desire to go out to shows anymore.  Enough so that when I needed cash, it wasn't that big a deal at that point in my recording life that I sold all my stuff and got out.

As the best of friends, let me be the first to say you're a pussy.  I've had only one chance to tape a decent show in the last 4 years (Fu Manchu - shut out by the band), so I have no sympathy for you! 

But I hear you on the "wore out" part...  I guess it was just Life, but I started to tape less, then the music scene I liked dropped off in Raleigh, and then we had kids...

Take a break...  Maybe you'll get back to it one day...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Online yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2014, 12:48:41 AM »
Stretch out..  go pee..  don't step on any toes..  get the goods..  don't step on any toes..  go pee..  stretch out.
The future will appreciate it!
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline andy_landy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2014, 05:00:01 AM »
Thats pretty cool. My ex-wife of 10 years, is (still) convinced (and we've been divorced for 4 years now) that when I was out taping shows (some involving traveling) that I was in fact - not out taping/seeing shows- I was running around with "other women"

although she never came out and said it directly, i know my ex-wife felt the same.

the handful of times i had technical issues and didn't manage to successfully record... i know she was thinking "he could have been doing ANYTHING while he was out"

retired? not a bit of it. yes i am doing more open than stealth these days, and yes there are times i deliberately choose to not record (either when i am playing or doing foh - i find recording is a distraction from the real task in hand)... but i can't see myself retiring any time soon :)

stevetoney

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2014, 07:19:07 AM »

As the best of friends, let me be the first to say you're a pussy.  I've had only one chance to tape a decent show in the last 4 years (Fu Manchu - shut out by the band), so I have no sympathy for you! 

...and here's some friend-love back atcha.   :flipa:

Here's what I've recorded over the last week plus.

Manhattan Project 4/10
The Chopshop 4/12
Deltanine 4/16
Pigions Playing Ping Pong 4/16
Manitoa 4/17
The Mantras 4/17
Turquaz 4/19
Alan Evans Trio 4/19

Five nights out recording over the stretch of 10 days.  Two of those events were outta town and required drives of 75 and 90 minutes each way.  The last four years I've averaged 150 recordings a year.  I'm working towards my 700th show uploaded to archive.

Pussy indeed!   ;).
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:38:35 AM by tonedeaf »

stevetoney

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2014, 07:36:25 AM »

By the way Terry.  I think you might have quoted my response out of context.  I haven't retired from taping, I've only retired from stealthing.  The OP thread title said that, but apparently someone was bothered that I brought up a stealth subject, so I changed the thread title so at least the word isn't in the title.   ::)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 07:40:07 AM by tonedeaf »

cashandkerouac

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2014, 11:38:53 AM »
what about Jerry Band recordings as one example?  for those of us who like that kind of thing... aren't we all very glad that people didn't play by the rules?  sometimes  >:D is the right thing to do.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
By the way Terry.  I think you might have quoted my response out of context.  I haven't retired from taping, I've only retired from stealthing.  The OP thread title said that, but apparently someone was bothered that I brought up a stealth subject, so I changed the thread title so at least the word isn't in the title.   ::)

That edit to the title made the subject much less clear. It becomes clearer reading through the thread more carefully but I sensed some confusion re: the subject. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2014, 12:18:26 PM »

Wait.... We're NOT supposed to say stealth? Really? I thought we were all tapers here?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2014, 02:30:03 PM »
Well I am 100% stealth, but can understand why you might retire after so many shows. I'm fairly light at 1 show a month typical so I don't get burn out. But I have to say I would not want to go open; mainly because the bands and venues I tape in would likely not permit it, but also, sad as I am, I get a bit of an adrenilin kick out of a stealth operation.   >:D

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2014, 02:52:25 PM »

There are creative means for which one can present ones self in a better light to gain open access recording.
This poses the greater challenge for me at least when comparing it to the old days of smuggling recording gear into a venue.  Mellowing with age?

Nick's stand out comment to me after the show was:  "I love Tapers"!  I was the only person recording.  I came in and set up as I wanted with no problems from venue staff and was able to supply Nick with a copy, as well as the opening band.  Point being is that it made for a better recording than it would have been if I had been is stealth mode and allowed me to also enjoy the show and not look like a stiff all night.

That made my day.
I don't think there would be this many responses if we knew it was a thread about stealthing. (auto correct just told me I typed "steal thing(s)"

Its funny, in NYC, before everyone had a phone with email, if you had time, you could arrive early-- BEFORE the band actually showed up, talk to the the venue, have a few beers, get the best seat, and then the manager would tell the bandleader that you were there to tape and they'd come out and talk to you and you could either do it or not. Before Bill Frisell's success, you could actually tape at the Village Vanguard. Most shows didn't sell out there and if you could just get off work and show up and drink a bit. Lorraine was happy you were a customer and there were something like 40 people who would show up and 5 of them would have mics on the tables...

Musicians were happy you were there and excited you showed interest. My friend Pete, who got me into the whole crazy scene, as recently as 1999 saw Marc Ribot after we were leaving a Tom Waits show at the Beacon theatre and Marc asked, "you still going around taping shows?" Now Marc is an avid anti-anything that doesn't get me paid activist. (And he's right to feel that way.) Don't even HOPE to tape at the Vanguard today, in the day of phone-sized 24/96 recorders.

I think it all boils down to intent some days, or maybe time & money. The world is really big and nobody's paying for music the way they used to, so there is a real backlash against taping in some aspects of the "industry."

Now that I have a kid and I'm wrenched away from the whole scene of anything I actually care about music-wise, there aren't as many shows that I will actually go to.
And fewer that I can actually make it to before the opening act. In fact, now that I think about it, if I had to show up early at a bar I'd be too toasted to make it through to the main attraction!
For me, getting there 10 minutes before the band means almost always having to stealth.

By 2009 in NYC, most of the bands I taped were OK with it but asked me to not be so obvious and I ended up with a system that didn't include setting up mics where people would later ask for copies of the tape, and the artists would have a copy they could grab the next morning.

I WISH I could get there early and set up, and I WISH people weren't becoming more and more assholes around me, but that doesn't seem likely any time soon.

But I am always happy to hear someone can make a change that goes against all their obsessions.

once again, lost in all the noise

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »
Pul-eeze.  Stealth taping wore you out?  I mean how hard is it? You shove a couple mikes into a hat and press the "record button." 

You STFU, but I STFU when I'm not taping. 

I guess you can't turn your head and check out the babes, but other than that how difficult is it?

I've been stealth taping since 1970--my first rig was a cassette with a Sony stereo mike duct taped to a Popeil Pocket Fisherman Pole.  Its actually gotten easier.  As Ron Popeil would say, I just set it and forget it. 

Maybe I'm a little tongue in  cheek but I urge you to reconsider.  Open Taping is on the decline and we need more experienced tapers.

Well said.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »
I think I've managed to maintain my sanity while stealthing by following a few rules.

1. Don't let idiots/assholes ruin having a good time at a show. Yep, they might have ruined the recording, but once that starts happening I write it off. Sometimes it turns out you can't even hear them.
2. Occasionally I'll be on the fence if I want to record a stealth show. I have shirt with mics in the collar and run a super minimal rig. I put little to no effort in and hope for the best. At the very least I have the recording "for my records."
3. For shows I skip recording and then wish I did, I try to put behind me as well. Remember the vast majority of people at the show will never get to listen to it again, and they live. There is always next time and you can't have it all.

Yep there are times when I take recording undercover very seriously. I've learned what bands are worthy of this and prepare myself in advance.

I think it's important to accept that it's okay to take a break from both stealthing shows and open shows.

This. Man it's hard to do, but you feel so much better once you're able to "let it go". If you can fix an issue, fix it, but sitting there being enraged at someone who has no idea they're even bothering you is a quick route to a heart attack and/or general bad time.

Hey Steve, maybe you want to retire from taping altogether and sell me your MK41Vs... I'm just sayin...  >:D >:D >:D >:D >:D
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com