Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best use of ~$400 to upgrade my setup?  (Read 9574 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Best use of ~$400 to upgrade my setup?
« on: June 14, 2014, 11:48:35 PM »
Please see my sig for what I'm running now.  I have a modest amount of money I'm willing to spend on upgrades, and would appreciate advice on where I'd get the most long-term benefit for my money.  I record classical and jazz, almost 100% acoustic concerts.  I was bitten by the upgrade bug a couple of weeks ago when I borrowed some AKG and Schoeps mics along with a Zoom H6 to do a concert for a friend. 

Here's my short list of what I'm considering:

1. Recorder w/ phantom-powered XLR inputs.  I currently have nothing portable for 48V mics, and would like to start using my Naiant omnis (or other mics) while still having a line in for my CA-14s.  4 channels a plus but not a necessity.  Don't care much about the build-in mics as long as they're decent for quick rehearsals.  What I'm wondering is if any recorder in my price range is going to perform any better than my M10.  If not, I'll stick with it.
Options that look good:
- Tascam DR-100mkII
- Roland R-26 (over my budget new, but maybe can find it less used)   
- Zoom H5 (they seem to have addressed the knob movement issue of the H6)

2. If I keep my M10, then I'm considering a Naiant tinybox set up for both PIP and 48V inputs.  This would allow me to run the mics I own now plus anything I would theoretically buy or borrow down the road, and the quality of the preamps is going to be better than the build-ins on a portable recorder.  Although running my battery box into the M10s MIC input continues to amaze me just how low I can go with recording levels.

3. A new set of mics, although without upgrade 1 and/or 2 I can't power 48V like I said.  Busman BSC1 or Avantone CK-1 look attractive (in budget used), as does Line Audio CM3. 

4. Something else I haven't thought of, or just stick with what I've got?

Thanks for the advice!

I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Best use of ~$400 to upgrade my setup?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 12:00:22 AM »
Mics will almost always give you the biggest improvement...but with only a battery box in the arsenal you might want to get that Tinybox and then upgrade the mics later.

{Mics} > Tinybox > M10 is one of the smallest and best options out there (especially for the $$$).

If I were putting together a "budget" rig and I already had the M10, I'd add the Tinybox first (since it can work with your current mics) and then ideally I'd add the Busman BCS2 mics. That complete rig would run a hair over $1000 and compete with just about anything.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:41:36 AM »
Keep the m10 since you already have CA14's and you'll still want to use those.  It's a great recorder and there's nothing magical about having p48 on XLR inputs on your recorder especially when most preamps do that anyway.  Overall, I think the m10 is a more solid product than the dr100mkii though the Tascam has more features...I've owned both. 

I'm with him ^.  I'd normally say get mics before preamp in terms of bang for buck on the upgrade, but in this case I think you might be better served adding the tinybox now and then get your BCS1 and BCS2 when your budget allows.  Most of us have learned the hard way that it's usually not the best  long term financial solution to compromise what you want now to fit inside a more restrictive budget.  So this recommendation is based on building for the longer term.

One option that gets you close is the Tinybox and Studio Projects C4 mics or perhaps some Oktava MK-012.  I've heard that combo before and it sound pretty dang sweet.

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
Same here: get a Tinybox that can do both P48 and plug-in power and then get some mics. M10 is perfect paired with Tinybox.

Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 12:26:07 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the great advice!  I'll look into a tinybox, and then mics down the road.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 08:24:00 AM »
Hopefully you didn't do what anyone suggested yet, since what you should clearly do is buy these AKGs and wait / stretch to get a preamp for them. Or, at $280, with that budget you could almost buy a Tascam DR-40 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/801077190-USE/tascam_dr_40_4_track_handheld_digital.htmlBI=225&kw=USED&gclid=CjkKEQjwzv-cBRD_oY2PouKVvMIBEiQAKuGNCx7992xO5EKZwpuTq8wUj2QeGaf9uRt356okqEqDlxnw_wcB) which has P48, and have new mics and a P48 recorder. All you'd need was stand and cables then.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 08:59:08 AM »
I'm loving my Tascam DR-60D. It is 4 channel, has 2 XLR inputs, 48V phantom and I can grab a board feed or run my CA-14s as back-up at the same time. I've been running it without a pre and am happy with my recordings, even the quieter stuff that I've boosted in post sounds good to my ears.

I had a mental block that was telling me I had to have a pre-amp to get good recordings. That's just because I read too much here on this website. I just bought a second DR-60D so I can more easily cover two stages at festivals. At $195, it is the best bang for the buck I've gotten since I started taping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline willndmb

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 09:16:48 AM »
Like my tb, like my m10, like my dr60d
There are some akg 391 for $280 in the yard and that's a steal IMO
So if you can swing $500you can grab those and a tb/dr60d
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 09:24:21 AM »
I'm loving my Tascam DR-60D. It is 4 channel, has 2 XLR inputs, 48V phantom and I can grab a board feed or run my CA-14s as back-up at the same time. I've been running it without a pre and am happy with my recordings, even the quieter stuff that I've boosted in post sounds good to my ears.

I had a mental block that was telling me I had to have a pre-amp to get good recordings. That's just because I read too much here on this website. I just bought a second DR-60D so I can more easily cover two stages at festivals. At $195, it is the best bang for the buck I've gotten since I started taping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/929347-REG/tascam_dr_60d_4_ch_track_linear_pcm.html

Without making comment one way or the other on the Tascam DR-60D (which I've never used), I agree so much with this. While various preamps do add "changes" to the sound, I've found the onboard pres of most decent recorders do a fine job. If I look back through my absolute best recordings, the presence one way or the other of an external pre is rarely the main factor -- the placement and type of mics (as well as availability of an SBD feed) matters a lot more. Especially on any kind of budget, I think that external pres are kind of a "nice to have" but absolutely not a necessity. The tinybox, as noted, provides the advantage of being much smaller (even with an M10) than most all-in-ones, and of course, then you aren't tied to using one deck. It's also a little easier, I find, to use two small boxes for stealth rather than one slightly larger one, if that's your thing.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 09:26:32 AM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 09:42:16 AM »

I record classical and jazz, almost 100% acoustic concerts.

would like to start using my Naiant omnis (or other mics) while still having a line in for my CA-14s.  4 channels a plus but not a necessity.

the placement and type of mics (as well as availability of an SBD feed) matters a lot

Omnis.

Maybe a DR2d if you can find one + batt box (and/or preamp like PIP-SQUEAK, T-BOX, CA-UGLY, etc) to run 4 low voltage PIP microphones while keeping everything easily pocketable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
That's primarily a decision about size--the DR60D is ten times the volume of tinybox and five times the volume of tinybox + an M10.  It also has shorter runtime than the tinybox + M10 combo even though it's carrying the same battery capacity of 10Wh, so you probably have to commit to external batteries as well.

Impressive feature set for the Tascam at that price level though.

I do use an external USB battery. I've only tested it once. With P48 on two channels, I turned it off at 12 hours with one bar showing on the battery. I already had the USB battery for charging my phone when I didn't have power. I honestly didn't expect it to run the DR-60D for so long. When people do size comparisons, it makes it sound huge. I know about the laws of physics, but it just doesn't seem that large. http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=161501.msg2081397#msg2081397

I use this battery: http://www.amazon.com/Jackery-High-capacity-Aluminum-Dual-Port-Ultra-fast/dp/B00EA1P8OI

I'm not stealthing with the 60D so the size/form does not bother me. With an external battery, I'm still just under $250. Oh, and the dual recording feature makes setting levels less nerve-wracking and has saved at least three recordings for me.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 10:18:24 AM »
I would go with Acidjack's suggestion and snap up those AKG's (both card and omni caps for $420). Worry about how to power them later.

Offline hoppedup

• Sa da tay!
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 10:51:49 AM »
I would go with Acidjack's suggestion and snap up those AKG's (both card and omni caps for $420). Worry about how to power them later.

These are no longer available.
AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on LMA

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 11:44:21 AM »
How about a gear bag? I have 2 different sized Lowepro bags to choose between depending on the rig(s) I'm hauling.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2014, 02:00:54 PM »
It's all subjective.  You gotta listen on your own and take any advice here as a guideline to drive you to listen on your own.  I can't tell you how many times I took advice of others here only to realize later that I should have trusted my own ears.  For example, there's been some love given in this thread given for the AKG-300 mics...I personally don't like the AKG-300 sound.  They tend to have a bloaty low end which, to my ears, is one of the ugliest sounds possible on a recording.  Lots of people like that though because it's perceived as low end warmth which can also be perceived as 'bang for buck' in a lower end mic since lower end mics tend to not sound warm.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com