Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: help using SONY PCM-10 and Church CA9100?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline berng4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
help using SONY PCM-10 and Church CA9100?
« on: July 18, 2014, 04:56:26 PM »
Looking for help, not sure if it's malfunctioning or if I'm doing something wrong.....  When using the CA9100 preamp with either the card or omni church mics, I am getting very low recording levels.  I have the preamp turned as high as possible and the SONY PCM turned up as high as possible and still getting a soft signal.  The recording sounds good once I normalize it but still confused as to why I can't boost at a lower level.  Also concerned that I'm beating up the battery on the pre-amp at full volume.  Any help for this newb would be very appreciated.  Thanks!

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: help using SONY PCM-10 and Church CA9100?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 06:08:48 PM »
Is the M-10 gain switch on high or low? Are you plugging in to line or mic? Is the plug in power setting on or off?
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 09:27:06 PM »
Not unusual.  I'm assuming you use line-in. 

My advice is not to set the M10 level at more than 5 or 6.  The control is non-linear.  Between 6 - 10 doesn't add much. 

I normally set my CA9100, used with Church CAFS, to around 4 o'clock (the knob marker at the red light) for acoustic shows.  Yes, the levels are low, but boosting them in software is fine.  Better low than high.

Battery drain difference will be negligible regardless of setting.  I change mine every 3 shows just to be on the safe side.  I remove it between shows.  The only issue here is the battery connector Church uses.  First thing I did was change it.  It comes with a 6-lug female connector.  A 4-lug one can be tightened up, as removing the battery makes the connection loose.  Just remove the connector from an old battery and solder it in to the CA9100.  A little thing, but a good battery connection is vital.

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »
I have not seen this kind of behavior using that combo.  At all the way on, you are adding +20dB to the level which is more than enough for most music.

Is the M-10 gain switch on high or low? Are you plugging in to line or mic? Is the plug in power setting on or off?

In addition to these questions, what kind of music are you recording?
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 11:04:56 PM »
I wouldn't say its non unusual. As vanark said with the pre up you are adding 20 plus if you have the m10 up that's another 18db or so from 4 to 10
Only thing I can thing of is the battery but I don't know if it would sound ok even after normalizing if the battery went giving good power to the mics from the start
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline NSL

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2014, 03:31:44 PM »
My CA-11 > CA-9000 have always run very low even with the 9000 cranked all the way up as well as the M-10.  Also was the same when I used a Tascam DR-07.  I always have to add 4+ db in gain in post.  I run line in every time on mine. 
Instagram
Berliner CM-33's > Naiant Littlebox > Sony PCM-M10

Marshall7

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:56 AM »
I wouldn't call having to add 4 dB running "very low"

Offline berng4

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 09:45:56 AM »
recording band rehearsals or small room bands w/ drums.  I've been plugging into Line In.  I'll explore using the mic-in.  They do sound fine once I normalize, but just didn't seem right that they were that low at full power on both devices.  Thanks for chiming in everyone.
bg

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:13:52 AM »
I have CA-14, not CA-11, but this seems very odd to me.

I send the CA-14 through a battery box--no amplification at all, just power to the mics--and record amplified shows through Line-in at 5 or 6 input volume. When I have had preamps--I sold them--I had to put them at 0. Are you sure your preamp doesn't have a dead battery?

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 07:37:17 AM »
Two distinct replies to this and I've seen this here before.  Almost as if there are two standards of M10.  Similarly, some people have noted the volume control is linear, others non-linear. 

If I use CAFS > Battery Box > Line-In, the signal barely registers.  I need to use Mic-In. 

Line-In, I need the 20dB gain of the CA9100 to get the loudest peaks up to about -6dB (amplified acoustic music, with applause by far the highest peak) with the M10 set at 4.  The up-side is I KNOW my levels aren't clipping without looking.     

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com