Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Audioroot UpreMKII  (Read 18558 times)

Offline jhfinn

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Member
Audioroot UpreMKII
« on: August 08, 2014, 04:00:36 PM »
Sexy little pre/ad wish it had more options though.
http://www.audioroot.fr/product/upre-mkii/
Mics:Neumann KM150x2...LC3KA actives x4
Pres:Audioroot Femto(L)
Recorders: Edirol R44/Sony PCM-D50
Retired: Sony D10pro2 modified/ Sony TCD-D8

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Audioroot UpreMKII
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 04:13:49 PM »
What other options would you like?

I haven't found much I would change on mine though I haven't had the opportunity to see what all it can do yet. So far major change would be in the length of some of the supplied cables though I have some mini xlrs on order so I can make custom cables to suit my needs once the connectors arrive.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 04:17:19 PM »
How much are these going for??  I can't find a price online, but I'm guessing more than the Femto.
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:27:21 PM »
What other options would you like?

I haven't found much I would change on mine though I haven't had the opportunity to see what all it can do yet. So far major change would be in the length of some of the supplied cables though I have some mini xlrs on order so I can make custom cables to suit my needs once the connectors arrive.

What are the engravings on the top of the pre? Can it output something other than 24/192 via digital?
I remember Antoine saying the preliminary price was $1200.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 04:30:55 PM »
I couldn't find a price online either. Don't know what MSRP is but since I was already in touch with a distributor about this unit, I never got a price from the company. Best price I found I got from Justin @ Pro Sound. Current price will depend on the exchange rate.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 04:40:12 PM »

What are the engravings on the top of the pre? Can it output something other than 24/192 via digital?

Engravings are the various settings for setting output 2-44.1, 3-48, 4-176.4, 5-192, 6-88.2, 7-96, 8&9-ADC OFF, 0 & 1 not used. When set to 48, my FR2 reports a 48k AES input. I haven't tried any other frequency yet. Set with a tiny screw driver. I recommend setting it before leaving the house as it could be tricky in the field/under darkness. I'll dig the digicam out and get a few pics for posting later.

M/S is set by two other tiny switches under the battery connectors.

Should be able to get this easily for under a grand but check with Justin for current best price.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:57:39 PM by flipp »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 11:01:37 AM »
This is a bad ass little box, what does it sound like? How is the preamp section? Similar to the Femto? How's the ADC?
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline jhfinn

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »

Engravings are the various settings for setting output 2-44.1, 3-48, 4-176.4, 5-192, 6-88.2, 7-96, 8&9-ADC OFF, 0 & 1 not used. When set to 48, my FR2 reports a 48k AES input. I haven't tried any other frequency yet. Set with a tiny screw driver. I recommend setting it before leaving the house as it could be tricky in the field/under darkness. I'll dig the digicam out and get a few pics for posting later.

M/S is set by two other tiny switches under the battery connectors.

Should be able to get this easily for under a grand but check with Justin for current best price.

Thanks for the pic and description Flipp. The website doesn't mention anything about the switch to change the output settings and I assumed it only allowed 24/192. Just like the femto I wish it had a mini out but with how small these are good luck fitting one. Looks like this new pre is even slightly smaller than the femto. I'm very happy with my Femto so far. I'd love to hear some samples of this.
Regards,
Jim

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 12:13:04 PM »
This is a bad ass little box, what does it sound like? How is the preamp section? Similar to the Femto? How's the ADC?

I'd love to hear some samples of this.

So far I've only recorded some nature sounds - cicadas on hot afternoons, birds awakening as dawn approaches and breaks, thunderstorms and the like - as well as some recordings of trains including M/S. Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2014, 12:48:06 PM »

I'd love to hear some samples of this.

So far I've only recorded some nature sounds - cicadas on hot afternoons, birds awakening as dawn approaches and breaks, thunderstorms and the like - as well as some recordings of trains including M/S. Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.
Good luck! I can't wait to hear your thoughts.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »
Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.

Hi, have you been able to record some music yet? If so, how is the sound signature of the uPRE MKII?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 09:56:09 AM »
Haven't had the opportunity to record any music yet but that'll change this and next weekend. Probably won't be able to give an objective opinion until after next weekends show since it will be in my favorite local venue.

Hi, have you been able to record some music yet? If so, how is the sound signature of the uPRE MKII?

I was wondering the same thing!

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2014, 12:25:23 PM »
Not yet; I'll post thoughts, and maybe samples, once I do.

< might be able to use this this weekend but realistically it'll probably be @mule middle of next week before I use this for music; should be able to use the following for a fairly good comparison: Beyer 803s>uPRE-II (AES out)>FR2  vs  Beyer 803s>stock FR2-LE  >
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:54:46 PM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2014, 05:53:20 PM »
Last night's encore from WSP in Dallas via wetransfer. Link expired.

Lineage is Beyer 803s >uPre-II AES out >FR2 @ 24/48 DIN 7' DFC 11 rows behind the pit/7 rows FOB

< I've noted some impressions about the pre but need to flesh them out a bit before posting. It also explains why the levels in the sample are lower than optimal. >
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 04:54:14 PM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »
I've had the opportunity to record a couple of national acts with this. First impressions,

• it doesn't like standard alkaline 9volts as it eats them in a hurry - less than 3 hours till drained - (9v lithiums last longer though I haven't run them to determine time to shutdown yet)
• 9v battery removal is a pain due to very tight fit and grip of the internal contacts - think pliers, esp if you have any hand strength problems   (arthritis, neuromuscular disorder, etc) seriously think about an external battery solution using the Hirose connector < after a chat with audioroot, I'm the only one reporting battery removal problems, note I do have limited hand/arm strength >
•  gain control is very sensitive as one would expect with the gain range of this unit
•  would prefer the metering to reflect -30 -15 -3 or -24 -12 -3 rather than the -40 -20 -3 it ships with

• love the small size, it fits in a collapsible coozey
• sound is very good - neutral to only slightly flavored but describing that flavoring is not easy (see attempts to describe Femto sound)
• love the switchable ganged gain control
• output is fairly hot

First show was the Mule (10-01). Originally had signals bouncing between -20 &- 12 db. On the FR2 the spot on the meters is at -20 unlike the -12 on it's little brother the 2LE. Towards the end of the first set I adjusted the levels so they were bouncing around -6. Early part of the set sounds great, after adjustment there is a brittleness. Not sure if it was battery/power related, ADC overload or what. Not happy with the outcome when neither the uPRE-II nor the FR2 indicated clipping. Waveform looks good, no clipping, flattened peaks or other anomalies. Basically I chalked it up to the initial run with new equipment and operator unfamiliarity. I recorded each set seperately and powered down the unit between sets. I looked down near the end of the encore and the uPRE was dark due to drained batteries. Was not sure if the FR2 would save the file once the input was gone. It did, thankfully. When I got home battery voltage was 8.3 and 8.2.

Second show was WSP in Dallas last night (10-17). I used some Energizer Lithiums. Show was one two hour set plus one song encore. Again I set the levels so they bounced between -20 and -12. Really like the outcome other than the low level. Will probably need to boost about 6db. Would rather boost a low clean signal than have levels where I want them but have undesirable artifacts. Past recordings led me to believe the Beyers were a bit too bottom end oriented. Not so with the uPRE. A very pleasing recording and if future recordings sound as good I can retire thoughts of new mics, yeah right, but at least put them on hold indefinitely. If the -3 lights flash more than a handful of times a set I probably won't like the results based on the two times I've used this for more than recording a local band's practice sessions.  Only more use in the field will tell if I leave this permanently in the chain. Of course more use will also allow me to learn where the ideal settings are for my rig when this is in the chain.

See post above for one sample. More samples coming as soon as the replacement Windows components arrive. Once that box is built I'll upload some samples of the mule before and after bumping the gain.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:13:45 AM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 06:49:10 AM »
link expired http://we.tl/3XDoNDYNLK  set

WSP 20141017
Verizon Theater
Oct 17 | Dallas, TX | 10:04 CST

Beyer 803s >uPRE-II AES out >FR2 @ 24/48 DIN 7' DFC 11 rows behind the pit/7 rows FOB   204-GG-11

Set   
Up All Night,
Pleas >
Bust It Big,
You Got Yours >
Pickin' Up The Pieces >
Rebirtha >
Blackout Blues,
This Part of Town >
Radio Child,
Shut Up & Drive >
Driving Song >
Little Lilly >
Drumz* & Bass* >
Driving Song >
Swamp** (120 mins)

Encore   
Lawyers, Guns & Money

Notes   [without Todd; entire show with Duane Trucks on drums]
* Other One Tease
** LTP 10.31.10
setlist from panicstream

The rest of the show to go with the encore; once again from wetransfer's free side which limits access to 200 downloads or 7 day availability - whichever occurs first. Since there has been no processing of any sort, not even track splits just cf card>comp>wetransfer, please don't post this anywhere else. I will once I get a new windows box built and do some minor editing.

As mentioned above this will need a boost, guessing about 6db.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:32:41 AM by flipp »

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 06:41:23 AM »
Past recordings led me to believe the Beyers were a bit too bottom end oriented. Not so with the uPRE.

As the result of a chat with the folks at audioroot it seems the above recording was done with the HP filter engaged (as was the mule) so maybe the Beyers do have an enhanced bottom.

Offline waltmon

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2014, 03:58:49 PM »
http://www.pro-sound.com/p/SAUDFEMTO.html

Less than 700.00 and they carry some sort of battery pack for it as well that is less than 100.00  (Sorry this is the FEMTO - no digital out)  Thinking of grabbing this for 4 channel with the 744T
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 04:03:57 PM by waltmon »
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 07:18:59 PM »
Talk to Justin. He should be able to do a much better price. Last spring I asked for a price on the Femto since the uPRE-II release was delayed. He quoted a significantly lower price then and gave the usual ts member free shipping discount. Whether you decide on the Femto or the uPRE-II, give Justin a call as I'm sure he'll beat the website posted price.

wrt to the uPRE2; external batteries should be here tomorrow and I plan on modifying a cable to a Hirose connector so I can us this without having to use 9v transistor batts. I'm sure I can find something in the bay area to record between tomorrow and NYE to check runtimes. Not sure what or when but I'll report back once I've run it some more.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2014, 08:05:37 PM »
http://www.pro-sound.com/p/SAUDFEMTO.html

Less than 700.00 and they carry some sort of battery pack for it as well that is less than 100.00  (Sorry this is the FEMTO - no digital out)  Thinking of grabbing this for 4 channel with the 744T

I would love to try one of these too! I have only heard 1 Schoeps>FEMTO recording, for RRE NYE last year, and it sounded mighty fine 8) Plus its tiny and only takes 2x9v ;D Anyone have one that I can borrow for a year or two? lol :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2014, 11:07:22 AM »
flipp - can you please confirm the digital out cable connector - is that a 5-pin mini xlr connector? And the "ins" - also 5 pin mini xlr??

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2014, 12:55:56 PM »
flipp - can you please confirm the digital out cable connector - is that a 5-pin mini xlr connector? And the "ins" - also 5 pin mini xlr??

out is 5-pin mini xlr
inputs are 3-pin mini xlr
aux power in is a Hirose 4 pin male power plug 10A-7P-4P

The input (2x) and output (1x) cables come with the unit but the external power cable does not.

I have the AES version and the digi-out cable has a full size 3 pin xlr connector on the recorder end. I assume the S/PDIF version has the RCA connector on it but you should probably confirm that with Audioroot. I have found the built-in chat/contact us feature on their main webpage to be useful for getting questions answered. I'll also be happy to answer questions (provided I know the answer).

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2014, 01:40:19 PM »
So, the AES and analog outputs are both routed through the 5-pin miniXLR? You just use a specific cable for each?
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2014, 03:04:44 PM »
I have never used the analog out and haven't looked at the other supplied cable(s) in months (I'm not home and can't see what else was included). I do recall I haven't used the middle two listed below but the following 5 cables do come with the unit and each cable is already labeled. (I'll try to post a pic later).
The uPREII page lists
Each uPRE MKII mic preamp is delivered with 1 uPRE MKII CABLE KIT  :
2 XLR mic inputs cables
1 mini XLR stereo output cable (mini XLR5 to 2 x mini XLR3)
1 mini-jack stereo output cable
1 XLR3 AES output cable

Yes, there is only one output jack so just swap cables whether you want analog or digi out. One downside is output is either/or where analog and digital would be nice.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:07:39 PM by flipp »

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 03:46:08 PM »
On the Audioroot website it says the outputs on the mini XLR 5 are unbalanced - This would lead me to believe you could make a cable that allows both Analog and digital outputs at the same time - you would just need the pin out.

AES/SPDIF selection is probably used only on formatting framed output signal - it is possible that the extra pin on the XLR-5 could be used as a Jumper to set SPDIF or AES - this is the case with the Sonosax MiniR82 outputs where you jumper in Phantom power

5 pins
1 - GND
2 - Analog L
3 - Analog R
4 - Digitial
5 - ??? ?

This is not the pinout but a possible example based on the statement that the outputs are unbalanced

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 03:47:41 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2014, 04:15:39 PM »
I'm very interested in using the uPREii to go digital AES out into my MiniR82. What cable would I need exactly  - would the supplied cable work?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2014, 06:08:49 PM »
I'm very interested in using the uPREii to go digital AES out into my MiniR82. What cable would I need exactly  - would the supplied cable work?

I assume it would as the supplied cable is the only one I've used and the only way I've recorded so far using the uPRE is uPRE-II AES out > AES in on my FR2  (every recording at 24/48).

uPRE-IIs are designated as AES or SPDIF version. I don't know if the units are identical (or output both) and the selection is made by which cable is used or if the AES/SPDIF is set by an internal jumper or hardwired in some manner. More questions for Antoine - so far the only one I haven't received an answer for is what AD chip is used.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 03:40:29 AM »
I assume it would as the supplied cable is the only one I've used and the only way I've recorded so far using the uPRE is uPRE-II AES out > AES in on my FR2  (every recording at 24/48).

uPRE-IIs are designated as AES or SPDIF version. I don't know if the units are identical (or output both) and the selection is made by which cable is used or if the AES/SPDIF is set by an internal jumper or hardwired in some manner. More questions for Antoine - so far the only one I haven't received an answer for is what AD chip is used.

Thanks. Would you be able to post a picture of the AES-in end of the supplied cable please?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 01:51:56 PM »
cable ends showing labeling
output end of uPRE-II
ends of AES digi cable with uPREII in coozie weighing down cable

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 03:57:14 PM »
 Ok . So I order the upre mk 11 from threw audio on 11/ 21/15 . And still no upre . Keep hearing its on its way . Now they say next week! Any one else order this box and did you have to wait this long?

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
Ok . So I order the upre mk 11 from threw audio on 11/ 21/15 . And still no upre . Keep hearing its on its way . Now they say next week! Any one else order this box and did you have to wait this long?

I had been discussing the uPRE2 and the Femto and decided to wait for a uPRE2, then waited a few months before the uPRE2 was released. Once I received an email from audioroot that the product was available I got back in touch with Justin at pro-sound, paid for the product and waited for it to be shipped from France to NY then on to the west coast. Total time from payment made to product in my hand was just under three weeks and I actually had it in-hand before FedEx's estimated arrival in NY. With overseaes shipping and forwarding during the holiday period, one month isn't an inordinately long time, imo.

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
Thanks . I'll hang in there . Was hoping to have this for my xmas present to my self . But as they say (all good things to those who wait).

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »
Well it finally arrived . No manual to go to so I've been playing around with it. A couple questions . HP switch . Which way is on which way is off ? . Also should the adc be off if you run anolog line in to a small deck such as m10 ! I have a canare bcj xj trs on order and a bnc to rca 75 ohm cable on its way so I can go spdif if want. Anyway it's a sweet little box . I'll give it a spin real soon

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 02:51:07 PM »
Well it finally arrived . No manual to go to so I've been playing around with it. A couple questions . HP switch . Which way is on which way is off ? .

I wondered about that too. I think It is Left is OFF, Right is ON; but am on the road and this laptop doesn't have my notes from when I asked that question. (It might be on a USB drive I have with me but it'll be this evening before I can check).

Many features are the same as it's predecessor, the uPRE. Some questions can be answered by looking/printing that manual.

Also should the adc be off if you run anolog line in to a small deck such as m10 ! I have a canare bcj xj trs on order and a bnc to rca 75 ohm cable on its way so I can go spdif if want. Anyway it's a sweet little box . I'll give it a spin real soon

Not sure if the ADC should be off as I always run mine AES digi out. I'm not even sure if both ADC and analog outs are active simultaneously.

One word of caution: Everyready/Energizer Ultimate Lithium 9volts (the ones with almost square corners) are a very tight fit and extremely difficult to remove. No problems with standard Energizers or any of the various Duracell models. I now run mine almost exclusively via the Hirose connector.

I've found the "Live Chat" feature on Audioroot's homepage to be a very good place to ask questions. Most times I've found it is Antoinne (the company founder/owner/president) responding.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 08:30:35 AM by flipp »

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 04:56:33 AM »
Well my upre mk11 works aes to my 744t but will not work spdif to my pmd 661 .
I've tried a canare transformer to convert it to spdif but it won't recognize. All I get is a digi error message. I may try a  hossa cdl313 converter . But that may not work as I have conversed with Antoine at audio root. He said its set at a pro setting and would need to have a jumper soldered to get a consumer spdif signal. I don't really want to do that. As that would nix the aes .anyone have an idea for a solution?

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2016, 06:46:33 AM »

Very interesting thread!!  Thanks for the info.

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2016, 12:26:01 AM »
I just checked the manuals page @ audioroot for the first time this year and see there is finally a manual for the uPRE-MKII. I have no idea how long it has been posted.

http://www.audioroot.fr/manuels/uPRE_MKII_USER_MANUAL.pdf

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.207 seconds with 61 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com