Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for another digital recorder  (Read 13161 times)

Offline harmon712

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Photography and Audio Recording Facebook Page
Re: Looking for another digital recorder
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 11:04:13 PM »
I went with Marantz PMD620 MKII because I thought I read the M10 uses smaller SD cards and I already have SD cards to use.
Mics: Neumann KM184 & Busman BSC1
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-3 & MixPre-6
Stand: Triad-Orbit T3 w/ T-ES Elevator Shaft
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R500
Photo: Canon T3i w/ Sigma 18-50mm & 50-150 f/2.8 lenses
Bag: Gruv Gear Club Bag, AmazonBasics Large DSLR Gadget Bag & Sound Devices CS-3

Marshall7

« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 12:09:06 AM »
I went with Marantz PMD620 MKII because I thought I read the M10 uses smaller SD cards and I already have SD cards to use.

So you paid twice as much for a recorder (based on what B&H is charging), rather than spend a few bucks for a small SD card?  ::)

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 06:28:57 PM »
I received my M10 yesterday quick like from B&H..Wow there is alot of goodies in it.I have it on burn in since yesterday afternoon.I 'll work the crap out of it before I do a show the end of the month.If I like it that much.I'll probably get another one  for a backup and retire the R-09HR  to just to do  recording off the radio and transferring tapes.I noticed the display on the R-09HR  sometimes has vertical lines on it so It looks like the display will crap out.I've read on here that some guys had problems with the displays crapping out.I will let you all know how I make out with it after the show.

Thanks again with the help guys.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 06:40:50 PM »
I received my M10 yesterday quick like from B&H..Wow there is alot of goodies in it.I have it on burn in since yesterday afternoon.I 'll work the crap out of it before I do a show the end of the month.If I like it that much.I'll probably get another one  for a backup and retire the R-09HR  to just to do  recording off the radio and transferring tapes.I noticed the display on the R-09HR  sometimes has vertical lines on it so It looks like the display will crap out.I've read on here that some guys had problems with the displays crapping out.I will let you all know how I make out with it after the show.

Thanks again with the help guys.

I'll summarize the M10 quick config notes.
1. Turn on cross memory recording. If your card fills you have 4 gig more space with a seamless transition
2. Make Card Default
3. Turn Auto Gain Control off, then gaff tape the switch
4. Sensitivy switch to low, then gaff tape switch in position
5. Limiter on. Don't plan on using it, put it's better than a pure clip
6. Set battery type to match your AAs

Most are using this at 48K/24bit, i concur.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 12:52:53 PM »
Thanks for the tips Scoobie.This will save me from starting another post on "What the  M10 settings should be" thread.   I will make  note of the adjustments in my head and writing.

Skip.

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2014, 06:35:32 PM »
OK guys.The test is in.The show was a stealth setting.

The M10 worked great  and sounds with no issues at all.The battery is still full today. Since I'm on a budget .I cant afford some Schoeps AKG  at the moment.The mike I used is Sony ECM MS907.I had the Edirol R-09HR running aside using another ECM MS907 and had no problem with that rig.

The M10 settings were. 

Gain knob was at 3  and taped .the other setting were set as Scoobie mentioned earlier.Other outboard switches were taped.

The Edirol  level was set around 30 and the back switches were off and taped .

The batteries used were Duracell 2400mAh  rechargeable's.

Thanks for the tips guys  and I got a wonderful recording.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2014, 12:41:08 AM »
OK, but start saving your pennies and get a better mic. The PCM-M10 will sound pretty much as good as the mic.

While that Sony mic is...ok, I guess...and good for loud music because it is low sensitivity...it doesn't have a lot of highs or lows. Its frequency response is 100-15,000 and your ears' frequency response is 20-20,000 Hz. Up there at the top, between 15K and 20K, is not that much unless you're a dog. But every doubling of Hz is another octave of music. The lowest note on the piano is 27.5 Hz, next octave up is 55 Hz, next is 110. So you are missing almost two whole octaves of bass with the cutoff at 100. And at shows, when your ribcage is vibrating in that fun way, they are probably using subwoofers to go even lower.

If you listen carefully to the bass lines in the bands you record, you may hear that they jump around a lot--that's because the mic is recording the overtone of the lowest notes, an octave higher than what the bassist is playing--not the more coherent bass line actually being played. And you know how the drummer is kicking that big round thing? You might want to hear that too.

Get a better mic and a battery box and go into Line-in on the lovely PCM-M10. Church Audio CA-11 or CA-14 and CA-Ugly Battery box, or if you want it sooner and cheaper (though not quite as wonderful sounding), Sound Professionals BMC-2 (smaller than Church Audio) and one of their battery boxes. Forget bass rolloff or fancy stuff--the PCM-M10 can handle bass through Line-in. Mic-Battery Box-Line-in.

Upgrade-itis is a chronic and incurable disease, but just a little mic upgrade will bring you a lot of joy.

Offline wppcproductions

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2014, 02:36:11 AM »
OK, but start saving your pennies and get a better mic. The PCM-M10 will sound pretty much as good as the mic.

While that Sony mic is...ok, I guess...and good for loud music because it is low sensitivity...it doesn't have a lot of highs or lows. Its frequency response is 100-15,000 and your ears' frequency response is 20-20,000 Hz. Up there at the top, between 15K and 20K, is not that much unless you're a dog. But every doubling of Hz is another octave of music. The lowest note on the piano is 27.5 Hz, next octave up is 55 Hz, next is 110. So you are missing almost two whole octaves of bass with the cutoff at 100. And at shows, when your ribcage is vibrating in that fun way, they are probably using subwoofers to go even lower.

If you listen carefully to the bass lines in the bands you record, you may hear that they jump around a lot--that's because the mic is recording the overtone of the lowest notes, an octave higher than what the bassist is playing--not the more coherent bass line actually being played. And you know how the drummer is kicking that big round thing? You might want to hear that too.

Get a better mic and a battery box and go into Line-in on the lovely PCM-M10. Church Audio CA-11 or CA-14 and CA-Ugly Battery box, or if you want it sooner and cheaper (though not quite as wonderful sounding), Sound Professionals BMC-2 (smaller than Church Audio) and one of their battery boxes. Forget bass rolloff or fancy stuff--the PCM-M10 can handle bass through Line-in. Mic-Battery Box-Line-in.

Upgrade-itis is a chronic and incurable disease, but just a little mic upgrade will bring you a lot of joy.

Thanks.I agree 100  percent.I will do a mike upgrade probably with the Church Audio mikes very soon.I will check out the Sound Professionals too.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2014, 06:34:05 AM »

Thanks.I agree 100  percent.I will do a mike upgrade probably with the Church Audio mikes very soon.I will check out the Sound Professionals too.

Chris Church still has two CA-14 cards+ugly battery box packages available for $125 in his November sale if you act now. And they're actually built already, so no long waits:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=169016.0;all

Offline RAQnasty

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2014, 04:30:25 PM »
can anyone comment on the M10 as compared to the Edirol r09-HR in terms of the line-in - relative to the r09-HR, how good is the M10 at handling a hot signal?

In general, what is the best way to know what signal strength will be too hot for a recorder?

My r09-HR is running fine, but the display is dying... I need to find a replacement.  I had a Zoom h4N for about 1 month, but already sold it - was not a big fan.

I am tempted to grab another edirol (if I can find it), but maybe I should consider the M10.

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2014, 04:51:10 PM »
Having had an R-05 for some time (until the line in started dropping out on one channel) I'd say the M-10 has better metering and is a lot easier to adjust.  The limiter is much better.  Better circuitry and lower noise levels than the R-09 (per the tests, though the specs for the R-05 were supposed to be close line in).  IMO the M-10 is better in all regards and should prove more durable.   
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline RAQnasty

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2014, 07:09:31 PM »
Thanks for the info, can you tell the negatives of the M10 in your experience?
Also does the M10 ever have file writing issues? E.g if batteries die, etc

I have actually liked the r09-HR for the 5+ years ive had it, shame the LCD is going...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:16:47 PM by RAQnasty »

Marshall7

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2014, 08:28:08 PM »
I'd say the M-10 has better metering 

I would dispute that.  The metering on the R-09HR is a lot bigger and easier to see than on the M-10.

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2014, 03:23:01 AM »
For my 0.02c, the M-10 takes a hotter signal than either R-09HR or R-05, and doesn't brickwall as easy as those recorders either.

Offline RAQnasty

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2014, 06:30:48 AM »
For my 0.02c, the M-10 takes a hotter signal than either R-09HR or R-05, and doesn't brickwall as easy as those recorders either.

Is there anything the spec sheet that can quantify thus fir a recorder or can you only really see this from experience using a specific recorder?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com