Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: portable 24/96 player  (Read 9526 times)

Offline Big Muff

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • James Marshall Hendrix 1942 - 1970
portable 24/96 player
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »

Wondering what folks are using, What's good?
I'm looking for an iriver type portable player for the car..

saw something on ebay from china that looked like it maybe ok.. 2x 32G card reader, around $350.

Live rig: DPA 4021 > V3 > iHP-120

Vinyl rig: Music hall 5.1 w/acrylic platter > Ortofon Quintet Black > Pro-Ject Tube-Box II > V3 > UA-5

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: portable 24/96 player
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 07:46:55 AM »
FIIO x1, X3, X5
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 04:16:09 PM »

Offline Big Muff

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:45:58 PM »
Thanks for the responses,

I went with the Fiio x3.
I don't really see much reason to pay out for an x5, at least I haven't been able to find any a/b comparisons.

Does anyone have and x1? for $100 it makes me curious to know just how much different these 3 models really sound..

Vinyl rig: Music hall 5.1 w/acrylic platter > Ortofon Quintet Black > Pro-Ject Tube-Box II > V3 > UA-5

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:05:49 PM »
Sony M10

good little recorder too.  ;D
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 07:58:48 AM »
Thanks for the responses,

I went with the Fiio x3.
I don't really see much reason to pay out for an x5, at least I haven't been able to find any a/b comparisons.

Does anyone have and x1? for $100 it makes me curious to know just how much different these 3 models really sound..

I just picked up the x1, iRiver h120 replacement, and so far i like it alot.  Ran it in the car on the way to work today and the sounds is great!
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline drivingwheel

• Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:52:48 AM »
Samsung Galaxy S4 Active ww/32 GB micro sd
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 09:44:36 AM »
+1 for the M10, line out to a portable amp is fantastic.

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 01:37:01 PM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081866-REG/sony_nwza17slv_64gb_walkman_digital_music.html

Bluetooth!  ;D

Looks very promising on paper, but I'll reserve judgement until we see a few reviews with real-world usage.  Hard to tell in the photos, but it looks like it may use a proprietary connector.  What is the issue they have with using a readily available, and cheap, connector like mini/micro USB?  A 60-page thread on it over at Head-Fi; someone there also suggested the M10 + headphone amp setup. > http://www.head-fi.org/t/728401/new-sony-nwz-a10-series-walkman-micro-sd-card-slot

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 12:33:29 AM »
There's always the Tiffany Silver Sony Walkman 10th Anniversary Edition cassette player!           ;D

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 12:52:58 AM »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1081866-REG/sony_nwza17slv_64gb_walkman_digital_music.html

Bluetooth!  ;D

Under the "Mood Music" heading:

The software automatically groups your music into channels based on beats-per-minute (BPM) so you can select the right music for the moment.

Solution in search of a problem.... ::) :facepalm:  Oh joy.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 01:00:32 AM »
Under the "Digital Sound Enhancement Engine" heading:

DSEE HX is designed to offer natural sound with a spacious feel by revitalizing the audio signal and restoring the high-frequency sounds stripped by the audio compression process.

Hmmm, 192/24bit, then you're gonna futz with the "tone"?  Redunkulous..   :facepalm: ::) :P

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 01:08:42 AM »
Under the "Engineered for Hi-Res Audio" heading:

The Walkman's low-impedance circuit board enhances signal integrity while the low-resistance battery connectivity provides more efficient transfer of current for a more accurately reproduced sound.

Whaaat?  Wow, they soldered the battery terminals this time?

So much marketing bullshit for the sheep.........niiiiice   ;D :-* :o :'( 8) >:D ??? ??? ???

Now gimme 300 bucks........

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows

Offline Big Muff

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 05:50:04 AM »
Been using the Fiio X3 for a week or two now.. I like it, for use in the car I don't think i get it's full potential but that's expected right?
I feel I could have gone w the X1 and been just as pleased, no way to tell.

Quick note on SD cards:

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZTKFEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently newer cards or those above 32gb are formatted exFAt the player requires FAT32.

So, I looked around for some answers and got this http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm.
it's a free FAT32 format utility that's *supposed* to format any type/size drive to FAT32.
it worked for the card i bought, no problem.

Cheers!

DF81

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 09:07:00 AM »
Pono

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 01:14:56 PM »
Been using the Fiio X3 for a week or two now.. I like it, for use in the car I don't think i get it's full potential but that's expected right?

Quick note on SD cards:

I bought this one http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZTKFEE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Apparently newer cards or those above 32gb are formatted exFAt the player requires FAT32.

So, I looked around for some answers and got this http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm.
it's a free FAT32 format utility that's *supposed* to format any type/size drive to FAT32.

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip!  I purchases a cheap no name 128gb card off eBay for around $14. I figured that if it didn't work it would be no big deal.  Guess what, it didn't work.  I just formatted it using the program you linked and BINGO we have a winner, Thanks!

Never mind, 3 file folder transfers in I started to get corruption issues (bad files)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 02:45:09 PM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 01:53:04 PM »
You got a link for the card??  I need to get a larger one.  TIA

Quick note on SD cards:

Cheers!

Thanks for the tip!  I purchases a cheap no name 128gb card off eBay for around $14. I figured that if it didn't work it would be no big deal.  Guess what, it didn't work.  I just formatted it using the program you linked and BINGO we have a winner, Thanks!
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 04:10:31 PM »
Pono

been waiting for this.

anyone see pono actually being viable?  form factor hideousness and weird ass shape aside...
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

DF81

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2014, 03:20:48 PM »
Pono

been waiting for this.

anyone see pono actually being viable?  form factor hideousness and weird ass shape aside...

The first pre-orders have already shipped.  Here are some details from the website:

The PonoPlayer transports you to a sublime musical experience, from the most delicate passages of a string quartet to the thunderous power of a heavy metal band. This portable audio player uses circuitry taken straight from Ayre's own top-of-the-line products, costing tens of thousands of dollars, for unparalleled sound quality and unrivaled listening pleasure. Pono supports playback of high-fidelity audio of up to 192kHz/24 bit resolution. The PonoPlayer includes two 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) audio output jacks which offer you four modes of operation:

1) personal listening mode via headphones or earbuds,
2) home stereo or in-car listening mode with fixed volume output,
3) PonoShare mode with two pairs of headphones/earbuds,
4) balanced mode provides ultra-performance for advanced users, separating left and right channel outputs across the two jacks. Great for use with high-impedance headphones, high-end home stereo systems, or professional equipment using balanced XLR input connectors.

Audio files can be loaded onto the PonoPlayer using the Pono Music Center desktop application (soon to be released on Windows and MacOS). The PonoPlayer can also be sideloaded as a USB storage device (Windows, MacOS, Linux).

I've read Bowers and Wilkins portable stereo's have their own converters, so when you plug in an iPhone to the dock it uses the built-in converters rather than the phone's converters.  Sounds like a good option if you are looking for an 'all in one' portable playback system.

As for Pono's marketability, I could see them being sold in Magnolia Best Buy stores as a 'high end' iPod.  It has potential...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:33:04 PM by DF81 »

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 03:57:23 AM »
Yeah Pono looks quite good (and a bargain compared to an A&K), but there is one big drawback for me - internal battery. I HATE gadgets with internal batteries, don't trust them, never will, long-term reliability / replacement issues etc. Even my f***ing Android phone I don't trust, but I really couldn't give a s*** about my phone so that's alright, I sleep easy at night on that score. I'm looking for a portable music player but I might just get a D100 - hi-res player with 24/192 FLAC capability, runs off rechargeable AA batteries, and a back-up recorder into the bargain  :D

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2014, 09:39:12 AM »
but there is one big drawback for me - internal battery. I HATE gadgets with internal batteries, don't trust them, never will, long-term reliability / replacement issues etc.

Guessing you're referring to the internal "non user-replaceable batteries"?  In agreement here.  I'm all for the rechargeable option, but I hate the fact that your average user can't easily put a new battery in when one craps out: built-in obsolescence.  Considering that most people keep their cell/smart phones on 24/7 now, it's even more confounding that's become the norm with those devices where the power source is guaranteed to need changing within a few years at most.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 11:40:59 AM »
Has the dreaded internal battery again, but HifiMan makes very decent headphones and these players look really good (flac, wav, up to 24/192, good DAC's etc):

http://head-direct.com/Products/?cid=5

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 02:04:55 PM »
Unrelated but why hasn't anyone put out a 1-2tb 2.5" hard drive form factor player yet. I'd pay 2x what it's worth just to be able to have my whole collection with me anywhere.

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 01:30:39 PM »
^^  Size and expense would be my guess.  While a 2.5" HD is not huge by any means, it's considerably larger than a solid state chip or SD card.  And then you have to build the rest of the DAP's electronics, screen/interface, etc. around that.  Hard drives with that amount of storage aren't dirt cheap either.  While you are willing to pay a premium for the large capacity, the manufacturers might not think there's a big enough market for the product you're talking about.  There also aren't any SSDs of that capacity yet and it seems that the DAP industry in general is moving away from hard drives and toward solid state.  Even Apple recently discontinued the iPod Classic claiming that they were having trouble getting parts for it; I'm thinking the hard drive in it was probably one of the more expensive, and hard to source, parts.  I've never worked in a computer parts factory but I'd wager that a spinning HD with platters is a little more labor intensive to build than a chip.  Reliability is likely a factor as well; there aren't any moving parts in a memory chip.

Offline powermonkey

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2014, 09:09:56 AM »
Got my Norah Jones LE Pono. More detailed impressions later, but it sounds really, really good to me.
Church Audio CA-11s, CA-14 Cards, CA-14 Omnis, Peluso CEMC-6

CA 9200 preamp
FEL BMA-1 Preamp

Edirol R09
Edirol R09HR
Sony M10
Edirol R44

My live recordings.... HERE:

https://www.facebook.com/Liverecordings1

and/or

https://soundcloud.com/liverecordings-1

Offline drivingwheel

• Taperssection Member
    • Driving Wheel
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »
http://www.drivingwheelmusic.com
http://www.archive.org/details/DrivingWheel
http://www.facebook.com/drivingwheel

open : Peluso CEMC-6 (cards)>Edirol ua-5 (d-mod)/Fostex FR-2LE (Busman t-mod)/Tascam DR-2D

covert operations : CA-14 (cards)/AT853 (cards)>Church Audio 9100>Tascam DR-2D
'

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 52 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com