Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nakamichi CM300 battery's - quick question  (Read 16573 times)

Offline Popmarter

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
Nakamichi CM300 battery's - quick question
« on: October 28, 2014, 03:17:01 AM »
Hi guys, I can buy a nice set of CM300 mics for very affordable price, but I kinda lost info on the battery-issue. Correct me if I am wrong please.

- It is true the official battery or any replacement is not available anymore? (If there is a replacement, what recordingtime / duration are we talking about here?)

- To test the mics I can use 5 small batterys (for watches) and stuck those together? This works? (Any clue on the recordingtime?)

Hope to hear.
Greets,
Popmarter

UPDATE 11-11-2014:
Got these http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=999908 batteries from Batterybob today: They do NOT FIT (not even close).
UPDATE 2: you can take of the outer ring of cardboard. the actual battery fits, so you can use it. but there are other much cheaper options. the 4R44 battery and some tape.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:37:30 PM by Popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Nakamichi CM300 battery's - quick question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
there are replacement batteries still available. 

per a friend: The best battery is the A1611 made by Exide. It is Alkaline as opposed to the Everready 206 which is zinc (and gets stuck in the tube).  there are web retailers that have them, though you may do better finding one on the other side of the pond. 

run time is very extended (i'm thinking weeks).  if you don't leave them in the mic continuously they'll run nearly forever (and even left in the mic they'll last a long time).  it takes very little power to run them. 

the watch battery thing is also supposed to work.  i thought it was 3 though? 
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 11:52:51 AM by bombdiggity »
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline old and in the way

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 01:39:39 PM »
The battery you need is the ECELL 206/1611 . Amazon has them for about 18.00 ea .

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 02:32:46 PM »
Thanks guys!

Found these, which can do the job (for those others interested).
REMOVE LINK TO AMAZON
EDIT: It states these are not compatible with Nakamichi microphones.

I am open for a European seller too though...

Edit: FOUND
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A1611-Non-Mercury-Replacement-for-Eveready-206-Mallory-TR-126-Microphone-battery-/161079667300
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 03:53:54 AM by Popmarter »
Recorders: Zoom F3; SD MixPre 3 II; Sony A10; Edirol R44; Sony M10; Sony WM-D6; iRiver IHP-120; Sharp MD-MT20; Sharp MD-MT190
Microphones: Schoeps MK41; Nevaton MC59/S (cards); Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 7.4mod (cards); AT831 (cards); Nakamichi CM300 (all CP's); Soundman OKM II Rock Studios
Preamps: Beyerdynamic MV100; JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b; Naiant IPA; Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use ; Baby Nbox

Offline BonoBeats

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Band- Funk Pocket
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 04:42:49 PM »
Buried in the description for te Excel 206A:

"NOT COMPATABLE WITH THE NAKAMICHI CM300."

They're too wide for the battery compartment (they can be forced in with some effort, but it's a pain to get them out). I learned this the hard way.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 04:49:44 PM by BonoBeats »
Now You See Me Telefunken M60 Masters/ADK Cremona 251>MixPre6
Now You Don't    Naiant XX or MS-TFB-2-MKII>SP-SB10>Roland R05

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 05:10:28 PM »

They're too wide for the battery compartment (they can be forced in with some effort, but it's a pain to get them out). I learned this the hard way.

My Excels always fit perfectly...haven't had a set for a few years though...
I have heard people say the Everreadys are sometimes too wide...

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:13:17 PM »

My Excels always fit perfectly...haven't had a set for a few years though...
I have heard people say the Everreadys are sometimes too wide...

Well - now that I actually looked at the ebay listing... :P...they have changed the build on these Exells...

The older ones we were getting circa 2005 were white and smooth...and fit fine.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:25:33 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:15:45 PM »
These are the ones you want...but shit, Battery Bob is SALTY!...We used to get these for like 7.99 a piece.

http://www.batterybob.com/product.asp?intProdID=999908

The thing to watch for with these batteries - the button/nub is the negative...flat side is positive (opposite of a standard alkaline battery)

« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:19:30 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:56 AM »
Thanks for being alert.

It is strange as the diameter from this battery is 19.1mm at BatteryBob, Amazon is 18.6mm (which states it is NOT compatible with Nakamichi microphones), where the UK version (which states it fits the Nakamichi better) is also 18.6mm.

Ordered at BatteryBob, see what is coming.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:46:32 PM by Popmarter »

Offline cavekelly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
I recommend the 6 volt "dog collar" batteries available on ebay.  I believe it may be model LR 44, but not handy at the moment.  Tape two together with electrical tape to fit.  Cheap and reliable.

Offline cavekelly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:56:34 PM »
Forgot to mention I fit to size with O-rings

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 04:04:35 PM »
I recommend the 6 volt "dog collar" batteries available on ebay.  I believe it may be model LR 44, but not handy at the moment.  Tape two together with electrical tape to fit.  Cheap and reliable.

^ Elegant and cost effective solution...  I'll need to remember that for the next round. 
Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline letitgro

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 05:30:53 PM »
Quite the coincidence that I'm reading this post today since I haven't been on this site in quite a while (I apologize).  Anyhow, let me tell you of my very recent experience.  I decided to 'dust off' my old Nak 300s after having them sit for over 10 years.  Naturally the Eveready 206 batteries were dead.  I ordered the Exell 206A /NEDA 1611 replacement batteries from "Brooklyn Battery Works".  Their site listed them as the proper replacement for the older Eveready 206.  Being that they were both NEDA 1611, I thought they would be fine.  They just arrived and are a hair longer and wider (perhaps 1-2 mm) than the Eveready batteries.  Of course that small difference in length shouldn't make a difference since one end of the battery basically goes on a spring.  However that slight difference in width made all the difference in the world!  They just would not fit!!!  So I contacted "Brooklyn Battery Works" and told them about it.  One of their web pages states they are compatible with the Nak 300s, however the Amazon link I bought them through apparently says no (but I didn't see that page).  They will send me an RMA to return the batteries and will be issued a full refund.  I was also told they will change their website.  I was told that over half an hour ago.  They said it should take a few minutes, and I just noticed it still has yet to be changed.   :-\

I was still upset with the company Exell.  Somehow I was under the impression they were to use the same specs as the original Evereadys.  When I called their number, I found it is a combination of Exell and "Batteries In A Flash".  Anyhow, I spoke with a guy (Raoul?) in their tech department and he said when Exell first started making the batteries, they had a bunch of calls from disgruntled Nak 300 owners.  He claims they got their specs within a range they found from different manufactures (Eveready being just one of them), and the Exell batteries are manufactured to fall with that range.  A side note here...is that true?  Were their other manufactures of the 206 other than Eveready?  Or is he just saying that to defend his company?  Who knows?  ???  Anyhow, he also advised me against shaving the outside of the battery to make it fit, since the Naks are metal and not plastic.

In summary, my suggestion is do not try the Exell 206A batteries.  Even though they have the same NEDA number (1611),  they will not fit in the Nak 300 mics.    :(

Needless to say, this has been a very frustrating experience.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As a follow up to my message above, I have since ordered the 4LR44  6V alkaline batteries (apparently often used for dog collars).  I just recorded two shows with them and they work perfectly.  These batteries are half the length of the original 9V batteries, so you'll need two of them for each mic.  They are a little bit smaller in diameter than a AA battery, so you'll need to figure out some way to get them to stay end to end.  Others have suggested taping them (with duct tape or electrical tape).  I didn't want any tape residue in my mics, so I tried something different and it works very nicely.  I took some card stock (110 lb. paper), but I suppose you could use thin cardboard and cut strips that were 5 cm in width.  I rolled the strips up and inserted them into the mics.  Now my batteries just slide in easily, stay in place, and after the show they slide back out.  The only downside of this method is the batteries are small and it's often dark after a concert, so it would be easy to lose one of them after you take them out of the mic.

I have to say that I was nervous about using 12V in each mic since the original Nakamichi specs called for batteries to be in the range of 8.4V - 9V.  I didn't know what negative effect it would have on the mics or the recording.  Some place I read the mics will take anything less than 14V, but I was still nervous.  Well after recording two rock 'n roll shows with them, I am now a happy camper!

Furthermore, after recording a couple of show I was curious if the batteries would show any drop in power.  I tested them and there doesn't seem to be any loss at all.  Wahoo!!!    :D
« Last Edit: March 18, 2015, 12:10:18 PM by letitgro »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
    • Live Music Archive
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2014, 02:39:09 AM »
Hi Letitgro, sorry to hear this. Can you provide us the link to the product? My order from BatteryBob is not in yet, will have to see if that version is the same  :'(

In the meantime I did found some other options on the forum with the search option.  Cheaper stuff, and more easy to come by but you need a bit of creativity to get it fixed. I have not done this myself as I still wait for the mics to arrive.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com