Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Moving up from SoundPro/Church to Actives and a TinyBox...  (Read 9860 times)

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Moving up from SoundPro/Church to Actives and a TinyBox...
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 07:04:21 PM »
There are definitely more options on etree.  Here's the only LMA recording John and I did.  Thought I'd find some of Stu's as well but guess not.  I'm not exactly DINa but the mics are right next to each other in basically the same pattern.  Obviously pres and recorder are different.  I think it goes to show how relatively small the differences are though.  That said, these are not the best recordings.  Not bad, but string bands in the Orange Peel usually don't make spectacular recordings.  Also, I will concede that this is on the shows that I will say I think John's 41s might sound a little better.   ;D

https://archive.org/details/GSBG2014-09-26.CK63.MiniMe.flac16
https://archive.org/details/GSBG2014-09-26.MK41.PSP3.flac16

As close to stealth set up I've got is this Umphreys show.  FOB, little above head height.  It think it sounds pretty good.

https://archive.org/details/UM2014-02-14.CK63.V2.flac16

Very nice! Leaning towards the AKG's since it's more in the relm of what I would want to pay if I sell all my stuff I have now, and I could just get it new since neither come up for sale that often. I am still a ways off unless it's a screaming deal...Need to save more $$$
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 08:26:14 PM »
If you really want Schoeps, then my advice would be to hold back on the AKG's, because (i) they aren't as good; and (ii) it will rob you of money that could be put towards saving for Schoeps and delay your final destination even longer.

Would be my advice too.
That's why I'm saving money and not buying "upgrades" anymore.

Hope to run Schoeps summer 2015.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 10:19:50 PM »
What's this "saving up" bullshit?  Don't any of you guys have credit cards? ;D

Offline obaaron

• Trade Count: (48)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Wide Awake in San Diego!
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2014, 11:59:58 PM »
I've been running various AKG capsules with 460 bodies and Naiant actives almost exclusively for the last 2 years or so here is a link to a bunch of shows w/different config's: https://archive.org/search.php?query=Aaron%20Bowers%20AND%20collection%3Aetree . I have ZERO complaints, and have no plans of ever letting them go.

I did, however, recently purchase a set of Gefell 210's and REALLY like the sound....very crisp and detailed.  The Gefell caps are somewhere in between AKG and schoeps cost wise and also have an active option a la nBob, which I just received a set.  I would recommend seeking out some Gefell m20, m21 shows to take a listen to as well since you are tire kicking.  I'm very happy with my Moe pull from last week check it out on the archive link above...there are my AKG ck1 > Naiant actives > Tinybox and Gefell 210 > SD MP2 sources from the same stand..

Mics:  Gefell M20,M21- sms2000/nbob | Schoeps MK4V;MK4- cmc1L/cmc6/nbob | AKG ck1,3,8,22;ck61,62,63,69- c460b/c480b/Naiant/nbob actives | Neumann KM140/150 | AT853, AT933 | CA-11 | DPA 4022 (on loan)
Pres: Naiant Littlebox | Tinybox | BMod Edirol UA-5 | Church ST-9200
Recorders:  Zoom F8 | Tascam DR-680 | Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10
Video: Canon VIXIA HF R42

**ISO** -   Schoeps mk22 matched pair | Neumann Ak43 pair

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2014, 04:00:09 AM »
It's boa's incredible (Gefell) Black Crowes recordings from February 1997 that have me hesitating on going with Schoeps caps for open (and occasional stealth) taping. That, and my obsession with Italian motorcycles being the main drain on my spare finances :-) 

Thanks for the clarification on shock mounting above, I found the solution listed in the retail section.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
I like schoeps and akg
Own akg
My wallet doesn't allow for schoeps and my ears don't tell me they are worth the price difference to justify them anyway.
Point being, for those who say don't waste your time/money on akg and just save for schoeps are right if and only if you feel the sound is worth it to you.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2014, 12:04:02 PM »
I like schoeps and akg
Own akg
My wallet doesn't allow for schoeps and my ears don't tell me they are worth the price difference to justify them anyway.
Point being, for those who say don't waste your time/money on akg and just save for schoeps are right if and only if you feel the sound is worth it to you.

Yes this is very true. Let your ears steer you in the right direction, dragging your wallet along behind.

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »

My philosophy too. If you need top gear, don't not buy it just cos you're broke. That's what CC's are for right?

Offline Chrisedge

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2014, 04:15:22 PM »

My philosophy too. If you need top gear, don't not buy it just cos you're broke. That's what CC's are for right?

I have a bit saved, and don't buy things like this on credit. Unless it's interest free and I can pay it off. :)
Credit is for cars and homes.
Audio: Sound Professionals SP-CMC-10 (AT933s) or Church Audio CA-14 (Omni & Cards) Mics >
Sound Professionals Battery Box SP-SPSB-1, SP-SPSB-10 or Church Audio Preamp CA9200 >
Sony PCM-A10, Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2d Recorders
Video: Panasonic DCM-ZS100 & GoPro 7 Black

stevetoney

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2014, 04:45:22 PM »
I like schoeps and akg
Own akg

When I got into taping the ante for a rig that I felt satisfied my tastes enough that I didn't leave the venue kinda unfulfilled was between 1500 and 2000, but that was a long time ago.  That has come down to around 500 or so.  The incremental cost to go up to the upper end isn't a linear extrapolation from wherever you started, that's for sure. 

Marshall7

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 07:55:14 PM »

Credit is for cars and homes.

Credit is for buying what you want now, before somebody talks you out of it or you change your mind. ;D

I figure the enjoyment I get out of something by having it immediately more than makes up for the interest I may incur, not to mention it avoids the frustration of waiting.  When you get to be 61 waiting isn't the most viable option.  Waiting to die, maybe... ;D

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 11:05:30 PM »
Thanks for all the replies!

I was interested in the AKG's mainly from a price perspective. I have heard many a Schopes recording, but I am really interested in hypers as the normal cards just pick up too much around me (or the tapers) to make me interested. Anyone with some MK41 vs CK63 examples? Or just great pulls with either?

I have run MK4's for over 20 years but my U2 1987 from Oakland Coliseum was with rented MK41's and a PCM F-1.  I am pretty sure you have heard that one.

Offline blg

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2014, 02:59:21 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!

I was interested in the AKG's mainly from a price perspective. I have heard many a Schopes recording, but I am really interested in hypers as the normal cards just pick up too much around me (or the tapers) to make me interested. Anyone with some MK41 vs CK63 examples? Or just great pulls with either?

I have run MK4's for over 20 years but my U2 1987 from Oakland Coliseum was with rented MK41's and a PCM F-1.  I am pretty sure you have heard that one.

If you are looking for MK41 samples, I've posted pretty much everything I've taped with them.  You can check the links in my sig.  I'm pretty sure you grabbed my NIN Irvine or maybe the Jack White Fonda I posted on TTD.

More recent samples here:  https://soundcloud.com/billthree
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 03:00:52 AM by blg »
Schoeps MK41 |
Naiant Tinybox v2.5 w/OT
NBob Actives v2
Sony PCM-M10 x2
dime LMA

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 01:47:26 PM »
All I would add is you are better off buying what you actually want once rather than buying incremental upgrades. I say this as someone who did not follow this advice. Buying and selling costs way more money.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline yates7592

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2014, 04:01:55 PM »
^ Agreed. I've wasted so much money buying "upgrades" only to find a few months down the line that I "need" (want) something better. Best to do your research now or forever nurse your wallet.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.096 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com