Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to do with CDs  (Read 8996 times)

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My cd List
What to do with CDs
« on: November 30, 2014, 01:05:40 PM »
I have a modest collection of cds (500-600) that have survived many moves but have been relocated to storage in plastic containers in the basement. I have most ripped to itunes and flac. Any ideas on what to do with them? Here's what I've come up with:

1) Bring them into the house in a cabinet or bookshelf of some type. The problem is that the furniture has to be aesthetically pleasing and toddler proof
2) Sell them somehow. The only place I know of that buys is amazon. But I'm not sure it is worth it to sell them individually for $1 given that you have to search for each cd title
3) Toss them in the dump. Not great for the environment. I'm sure somebody would like a few of these.
4) Donate them. To whom? The local library refused them (too many)
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Re: What to do with CDs
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 01:29:29 PM »
5) Sell them in a lot on eBay or wherever.
6) Sell them piecemeal at a record fair or yard sale.
7) Put them up for trade on SwapaCD.com, which at least gets you new CDs that you don't know what to do with.
8 ) Leave them in the basement for when the EMP knocks out all your hard drives and cloud backups, and then you can re-rip them as soundtrack for your post-apocalyptic nightmare.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:18:27 PM by nulldogmas »

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 02:03:17 PM »
deff have a killer yard sale!!!                  i have every ripped also. i can not stand having jewel cases all over the place.  funny this was,  as i was going threw totes of cd's to rip,  just about all of my wives cd's were just empty jewel cases!!!!!                 ed
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 05:16:35 PM »
Same boat here. I don't even own an actual CD player. I can only play CD's via a computer or my car, and since I have everything ripped to FLAC/MP3 and both also play MP3's and FLAC's the CD's just sit around.

I doubt that many of them are of any value. Doubtful it would be worth it to lug them to my local record shop to try to sell them, and I'm not willing to list every one on eBay and then go through the hassle of shipping them.

I think the two options I'm considering are:

1. Drop them off at the Salvation Army and hope they will take them.
2. Put an ad on Craigslist to have someone take them for free.

I'm leaning towards #2.

There are a handful that I plan on keeping. One's that I know are valuable and/or rare. I have those set aside.

I just have so many that I know I'll never listen to ever, and I know they aren't worth a penny.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 07:58:19 PM »
look into Charity type stores.....  someone I know distantly (ie: on Facebook) was going to sell his 2500 strong CD collection to Amoeba records, and they were only gonna give him a $200 store credit, so he found some charity that took them and gave him a $500 tax deductible receipt for them.....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:12:50 PM by kubacheck »

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 08:15:54 PM »
Re-purpose them and use for skeet practice.

Extract any Eagles CDs and send them to people you hate.

Offline kubacheck

• Trade Count: (3)
    • My Flickr site
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 08:37:49 PM »
Re-purpose them and use for skeet practice.

Extract any Eagles CDs and send them to people you hate.

better yet, broadcast the Eagles CD's, and they'll sue you for the entire collection.....  problem solved!! :-)

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
Sell them in the Yard sale for $5 each. Donate the proceeds to the charity of your choice.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2014, 10:24:48 AM »
I'm going through the old CD's I have sitting around and entering them into my Discogs.com profile, and many of them sell (or at least are priced) a lot higher than I would have thought.

My first plan was to make of list of what I had so I could replace them with downloaded FLAC's. I think for the price some of them are going for I might just list them for sale on Discogs and price them below every one else. I know I said I didn't want to deal with shipping them, but if I can sell a single CD for $8-10 it might be worth it. I would guess I'm not going to have a tidal wave of sales, so the occasional trip to the PO might be worth it. I can always use the $$$ to fund more music or upgrades to the playback system.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
Keep them so that when the earth's magnetic poles invert you'll be the only one on your block with music.

Dibs on any and all polka CDs !       ;D
"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline johnw

• My cd List
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 10:16:29 AM »
Lots of great ideas. I managed to find a solution where I could bring them in the house and store them in some drawers. Did the same thing for some DVDs as well. Not really a long term solution, but it will give me a chance to catalog them and slowly get rid of them.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 01:05:20 PM »
Legally you need to keep them if you keep the flacs or mp3's

I greatly reduced the space by moving mine to CD sleeves and CD jewel case bags (similar to the plastic re-sealable bags that cd's are sold in in Japan)

Holds 1-2 CD's + booklet/insert:
http://www.amazon.com/100-Double-sided-Plastic-Sleeve-White/dp/B002RO8JE6

Hold above sleeve and CD back card:
http://www.amazon.com/Resealable-Sleeves-Standard-10-4mm-Jewel/dp/B002L71QJO

I then put all my sleeved discs in Ikea CD boxes - http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00224316/

Can hold about 50-60 CD's in each ikea box when packeged in the sleeves and bags

Works great for me - should allow you to move your collection on to a couple of book case shelves
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 02:02:45 PM »
There's also always this:

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 04:50:35 PM »
My local library was using old "uneeded" CD/DVD's for a kids craft one day when I was there.  They where having kids crotia around them to make coasters

They where all store bought CD/DVD's and the ones I looked at looked in very good playable condition - although only a few of the 10-15 I looked at where of artists or performers I knew of
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 10:23:40 PM »
There's also always this:

Ha!  My cousin's husband hung a bunch of CDs up in his garden to keep the deer away this past year...  something about the twinkling reflected light???  It seemed to have worked...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com