Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New video camera  (Read 5647 times)

Offline kite

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
New video camera
« on: December 03, 2014, 03:16:16 AM »
Hello

Not around for a very long time, but got a question. My other half is gonna give me a new video camera and i have no clue what to buy. i can spend around $350
I have seen a Sony HDR-CX330EB, or are there better optionsin this price range, it must be easy to use

http://kcomdirect.com/sony-hdr-cx330eb-camcorder-1080-pixels/

Thx

Offline techgui

• Taperssection Regular
Re: New video camera
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 06:43:08 AM »
What are you going to use this camera for?  If it's for concerts or music related stuff, Canon is the only company that sells a cheap camcorder with microphone inputs.  Personally, I would ask for a gift card and pick up a used Panasonic TM700 or TM900 for that amount of money.  Huge difference in picture quality.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 04:33:31 PM »
As I recall, the Canon refurbs from the Canon factory store have one year warranties. 

Most camcorders are so automated that you pretty much only need to hit the record button. 

Offline kite

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 04:58:55 PM »
Thx for the replies

It's for filming concert's i do record the audio with my tascam, from panasonic i red reviews that you hear the motor if you use the zoom

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »
The internal mics on any camcorder are most likely going to pick up the zoom, I suppose, but I haven't noticed it so much with my Canon HFM500. 

Another observation about zooming:  my experience with my particular Canon is that it has good low light performance when fully zoomed out, but the aperture closes down when you zoom in. 

I have not used the Panasonics that Techqui mentioned, but I have seen them recommended by others.   

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »
I like canons. Had good luck with them and love mic in.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 09:43:21 PM »
Most camcorders are so automated that you pretty much only need to hit the record button.

Very true ... but only if you are shooting video in normal conditions.  Most concerts, however, are not normal in terms of lighting.  They are very bright and it's almost always best to knock down the exposure a few notches.  Thus getting a camera that allows you to manually adjust the exposure is very important for concert filming.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline 2manyrocks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 02:58:02 PM »

On the Canon HFM500, it is possible to switch from automatic exposure to manual exposure via the menu.  I will have to give manual exposure a try because I'm recording something on Dec 18 that will be dimly lit.

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 11:38:14 PM »

On the Canon HFM500, it is possible to switch from automatic exposure to manual exposure via the menu.  I will have to give manual exposure a try because I'm recording something on Dec 18 that will be dimly lit.

Be very careful with the exposure for a show with low lighting because bumping up the exposure too much in a situation like this can create noise in the picture that looks bad.  Try to simulate that scene ahead of time and learn the limits of your exposure in the various lighting conditions.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline kite

• Taperssection Newbie

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com