Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: KRK R6 passive version?  (Read 3428 times)

Online Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
KRK R6 passive version?
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:35:57 PM »
I know many people here use the rokit 5/6/10 speakers from krk, however does anyone use the r6 passive version of the speakers? If so how are they? I'm looking to get some new speakers for my desk when I'm not feeling like making too much noise. So I'm open to any other recommendations in the 300-400 range. I like passive but could go active. I like a strong bass!

Thanks
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • formerly OtherOneK
Re: KRK R6 passive version?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 01:16:02 PM »
I have the powered versions of the RP6's gen 2.....  I love them, crystal clear even balanced tone.  The freq response spreads wide and deep.  Best 400$ I have ever spent.  I don't have any experience with the passive version, however from my understanding minus the internal amp the crossover is the same... although the powered version goes 2 db lower in the gen 3 version verses the passive.  38hz verses 40 Hz... and extend in t he high-end  35khz verses 34khz.. not a big deal and probably has something to do with their internal amping.  Take note though you will need a decent amount of watts (at least 50 to 100) to power the passive version...  their sensitivity is only 81db.

Also check out the focal entry level studio monitors (alpha series).  I have read some really good reviews on them....never mind slightly out of your price range.

Peace OOK
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

colinw

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 03:52:41 PM »
Check out the lineup from Audioengine. I have the desktop A2 pair and they are more than enough speaker for the office or desktop. By far the best couple of hundred dollars I spent on the last few years.

Online Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
I have the powered versions of the RP6's gen 2.....  I love them, crystal clear even balanced tone.  The freq response spreads wide and deep.  Best 400$ I have ever spent.  I don't have any experience with the passive version, however from my understanding minus the internal amp the crossover is the same... although the powered version goes 2 db lower in the gen 3 version verses the passive.  38hz verses 40 Hz... and extend in t he high-end  35khz verses 34khz.. not a big deal and probably has something to do with their internal amping.  Take note though you will need a decent amount of watts (at least 50 to 100) to power the passive version...  their sensitivity is only 81db.

Also check out the focal entry level studio monitors (alpha series).  I have read some really good reviews on them....never mind slightly out of your price range.

Peace OOK

Do you feel as though they are good enough for listening to any genre in a room around 18x10 without a sub?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
Do you feel as though they are good enough for listening to any genre in a room around 18x10 without a sub?

Nope definitely not.... They would need a sub.  Also these are more designed to be near field monitors.  For desk use in near field setup they are perfect.. Fill a room that size you need something bigger or with a sub.

Peace OOK..
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 12:14:48 AM »
Might be worth a try.

You can increase the (perceived) bass response (at the expense of imaging) by keeping the stands on which these are mounted close to the back wall.

They are decent speakers, in nice rigid cabinets.

You might look at used "hi-fi" bookshelf speakers on audiogon.com
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline OOK

• formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2014, 01:07:28 PM »
Might be worth a try.

You can increase the (perceived) bass response (at the expense of imaging) by keeping the stands on which these are mounted close to the back wall.

They are decent speakers, in nice rigid cabinets.

You might look at used "hi-fi" bookshelf speakers on audiogon.com

The problem with this idea is the bass ports are forward firing on these speakers. If they were rear  firing it might help but a room that size you need to move more air... your just not going to get enough with a pair of near field monitors.

I like the suggestion of a good pair of bookshelfs with a sub. If your budget is tight check out the dayton audio bookshelfs and subs at parts express.  They sound good and  wont break the bank.
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com