Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thorens TD850  (Read 2158 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Thorens TD850
« on: December 31, 2014, 11:17:48 AM »
Well, the price was right, so I bit on this table. It came with an RB250 arm, which I sold and put a Michelle Techno Arm on, which is a heavily worked RB250. As much as I enjoyed and liked the modded 166, which replaced my Well Tempered Record Player, the 850 brought more to the table, adding increased resolution and deeper and firmer low end. You can add all the cliches that you hear, here. The 850 did it. I am thinking about how to tweak this a bit further and as it uses a Berger Lahr motor, that is where I'm looking for improvements. It is not that this motor is bad but I have been hearing a lot of great things about Phoenix Engineering Roadrunner and tachometer units and would love to try them out, which require a different motor........so the journey begins.

Here are a few shots of the new "spinner".

« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 01:51:07 PM by raymonda »

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Thorens TD850
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:49:22 PM »
BOING! I think I need to take a cold shower now, thanks!
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Thorens TD850
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:49:51 PM »
What this table ultimately delivers further upon is drive and finesse. There is a authority to its sound that my last two tables did not match. The inner and micro details have increase, allowing me to hear deeper into the mix. It allows me to hear each instrument within the performance without difficulty. There is a helping of clarity and weight that brings an increase in musical enjoyment.

For those that may not be aware of this table it was sourced from Acoustic Signature and uses their platter, dry bearing, heavy platter, motor, power supply and principles of mass. The table weighs north or 50lbs and demonstrates excellent German engineering. This was sort of Thorens comeback after they folded and re-emerged. Using Acoustic Signature as a parts supplier was a smart move and is something they continue to do today to a large degree with their non-suspended tables and to a lesser degree with their suspended ones.

A similar table can be bought from Thorens today but it only comes in acylic, and thus has significantly less mass. This table was discountinued in 2011 or so.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com