Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-680 MKii  (Read 22440 times)

Offline kingdong

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Tascam DR-680 MKii
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2017, 08:43:14 PM »
What's the generally preferred external battery option for the 680 these days?

My stash of old 9V "DVD" LiIOn batteries are growing unreliable and I think it's time to move to something else.

I have a MK i which I have been powering with a talentcell with good results.
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-12000mAh-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00ME3ZH7C

I sometimes run a Y cord from the talentcell and power both the DR-680 and a MiniMe with it at the same time.  No problems to date.  Runtime has not been an issue.  Over 3 hours powering both and phantom power on 6 mics (4 on the 680 and 2 on the MiniMe)

Thanks I'll look into that one.  Ideally looking for something that will power it for a full festival day (say 12hrs) running 6ch of phantom to power Naiant PFAs. 

Open to other suggestions which have been proven to work for other members here, thanks all.

I should have been more clear in my post.  I think it was still showing 2 LEDs after the 3 hours; I have not run it down completely to test runtime as I rarely need more than 3 hours.  FWIW, I think the MiniMe is listed as a 5.5 W draw and the DR-680 MK i a 9W draw.

The talentcell will also allow recharging while in operation via a Y cable so I would expect that you could use a Y cable to seamlessly switch from one unit to another without powering down your rig.

There is also a larger capacity Talentcell with USB, 9V and 12V outputs.
https://www.amazon.com/TalentCell-Rechargeable-11000mAh-20000mAh-Portable/dp/B01337QXMA

Offline dallman

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • Clifford Morse
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2017, 01:40:58 PM »
What's the generally preferred external battery option for the 680 these days?

My stash of old 9V "DVD" LiIOn batteries are growing unreliable and I think it's time to move to something else.

I still use 2 old powerrunners that keep on ticking, and a mountain of various Tekkeon and Tekkeon knockoffs. For a while they were available on eBay at great prices, but I think that ship has sailed. I like the knockoffs better than the actual Tekkeons. Personally always go with 12 volts and in addition (try to remember to) keep fresh batteries in the deck just in case...

I think there are some good options in Amazon, but generally not inexpensive. Others can comment with their own personal experience, because these are the only 2 battery types I have ever used on anything requiring more than 5V.
Support Live Music: Tape A Show Today!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2017, 05:06:53 PM »
Thanks guys.  Definitely going with 12V rather than 9, and always use internal AA's as a safety backup.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

"Narrow or widely spaced microphone configurations are preferred. It is well-known experience that pure coincidence microphone concepts are not able to produce a satisfying natural spatial impression, due to the lack of adequate interchannel temporal relations (time-of-arrival, phase, correlation)" -G√ľnther Theile
"The mix of the Double M/S signals with a large A/B configuration of omnis results in the spacious sound that is often desired. This option also provides decorrelated low-frequency signals." -Helmut Wittek

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.074 seconds with 25 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com