Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Multitrack recording gear  (Read 6823 times)

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
Multitrack recording gear
« on: February 08, 2015, 10:41:30 AM »

Looking to potentially purchase a multitrack recorder to allow me to pull multiple channels during a live recording from the board. What are good options?

Offline anr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Multitrack recording gear
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 11:52:12 AM »
Much depends on the board you are connecting to.  Primarily, the number of channels and the interface.

I habitually record multi-tracks of the few bands I do the sound for.  Primarily folk/jazz music where 8 channels suffice, and use an oldie but goldie, the Korg D-888.  If pushed, I can also use it as the desk itself.  It records 8 channels on a hard drive at 16bit/44.1kHz.  The HDD provides 32 hours recording.  Design compromise is in the the desk part.  The input amps adjustment is a bit coarse.   When used purely as the recorder, I take an output from the desk inserts via a custom loom.  My main desk has onboard compression and effects, so I tend not to use the inserts.  If I need them, I have to get a little creative with the wiring.  I'm actually working on this at the moment because my next job needs 9 inputs, so have decided to combine 2 vocal mics to one input.  The 2 users merely use the mics for introductions, so I'll get away with it.  I'm sure others have more complex arrangements they can explain.

Offline pwig

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 12:35:09 PM »
Much depends on the board you are connecting to.  Primarily, the number of channels and the interface.

I habitually record multi-tracks of the few bands I do the sound for.  Primarily folk/jazz music where 8 channels suffice, and use an oldie but goldie, the Korg D-888.  If pushed, I can also use it as the desk itself.  It records 8 channels on a hard drive at 16bit/44.1kHz.  The HDD provides 32 hours recording.  Design compromise is in the the desk part.  The input amps adjustment is a bit coarse.   When used purely as the recorder, I take an output from the desk inserts via a custom loom.  My main desk has onboard compression and effects, so I tend not to use the inserts.  If I need them, I have to get a little creative with the wiring.  I'm actually working on this at the moment because my next job needs 9 inputs, so have decided to combine 2 vocal mics to one input.  The 2 users merely use the mics for introductions, so I'll get away with it.  I'm sure others have more complex arrangements they can explain.

The board at the club has 16 channels, ideally it would be great to have them all.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 01:12:16 PM »
Budget?

On the lower end is my solution. A laptop and a Tascam US-1800 interface with 8 mic pres, 6 line in and 2 S/PDIF inputs. I use a Edirol UA-5 for the S/PDIF preamp and a Firepod for extra pre's.
I also have a 16 channel split snake with stagebox and 50' tails. 12 channels transformer isolated.

Other solutions present themselves as your budget goes up.

This recording was a split of the live mics, plus my Busman BSC1 - cardioid on drum overheads. (14 or so channels)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYMeAdd4EPI
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 01:20:02 PM by ScoobieKW »
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Marshall7

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 03:23:10 PM »
Check this out.  Pretty reasonably priced.  I've only had the chance to use mine once so far, but was quote happy with the results.

http://tascam.com/product/dp-32sd/

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 05:53:45 PM »
Check this out.  Pretty reasonably priced.  I've only had the chance to use mine once so far, but was quote happy with the results.

Only 8 simultaneous inputs, OP specified up to 16 input channels

A friend of mine, live engineer for early Foo Fighters, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc is beta testing the Mackie DL 32 R

http://dl32r.mackie.com/

32 channels of recording to hard drive, live mixer with 32 ins and 16 outs. iPad control. For under 3K you get 32 channels of recording as well as the ability to mix mains and monitors for a show. All in 3 Rack units. (plus another for Airport router.)

Anyway, he loves it.

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 07:10:08 PM »
Alesis HD 24
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 07:31:11 PM »

Only 8 simultaneous inputs, OP specified up to 16 input channels

A friend of mine, live engineer for early Foo Fighters, Sunny Day Real Estate, etc is beta testing the Mackie DL 32 R

http://dl32r.mackie.com/

32 channels of recording to hard drive, live mixer with 32 ins and 16 outs. iPad control. For under 3K you get 32 channels of recording as well as the ability to mix mains and monitors for a show. All in 3 Rack units. (plus another for Airport router.)

Anyway, he loves it.

Pretty cool.

Somewhat similar to Behringers new XR line...but with better built-in recording features.

The xr18 and xr12 have the slick Wi-Fi/tablet mix features - but you need a computer to record....

But only 699 list.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/XR18

We have the X32 at work...love that thing!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 07:33:40 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
I've been working gigs for a company with Yamaha QL-5 boards with RIO 3216 stageboxes. All on a Dante network.

$30 for Dante VirtualSoundCard and I can record up to 64 tracks.

The X32 will do Dante with a $500 card. The Mackie has a Dante expansion coming.

I sure dig the future.

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 09:54:24 AM »
I do like the Cymatic LR16. Super simple machine designed for 16 tracks off a board, and wired to tap off the inserts. You can get an adapter if you want to use the direct outs (I prefer using inserts anyways) or just cheat and do the half click. Their utrack24 looks interesting as a 1U rack sized 24 track recorder.

The LR16 is about $400, plus you'll have to get a USB hard drive for it.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 09:56:05 AM by hoserama »
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 10:30:15 AM »
Of course the inserts method requires your engineer to not use them for compressors, delay etc.

Not something you can guarantee without pre-show planning.

I also tend to prefer my overhead micing technique to the house engineer's and need at least two channels of preamp for my overheads.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 10:53:33 AM by ScoobieKW »

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 02:20:28 AM »
Computers suck.  HD24 is made for the purpose, and they are pretty cheap nowadays, not chic and trendy any more.  Mine has never let me down.

If you want to play on the cheap and the recording isn't mission critical, then go ahead with a computer interface.  The world is full of boxes that will do 18 channels (typically 8 analog + 8 ADAT + 2 SPDIF).  Going beyond 18 tracks is a big step.  Be aware that any of the firewire interfaces are very dependent on having the correct firewire chipset in the computer. Generally the Macbooks have the correct chipset, and most PC's don't.  If you DO happen to have the correct chipset, I've got an M-audio Lightbridge which will take up to 32 channels via ADAT, and I'd let you have it cheap; you would have to by pre's of course.  I used it for real time transfer from HD24 and it worked well, back when I had a computer with the right chipset.

Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:57 AM »
I'd say it the other way around about the 12 year old HD24 Joe...sure, if you want to play around on the cheap... >:D

We do 32 tracks via Reaper off the X32 via USB - no problem. We only run 48/24.

So - why the Firewire? Since no PCs come with it - just buy the right card! (vs buying a whole machine to get one feature!)

As you said - the world is full of boxes that do 18+ channels...and tiny computers!

The biggest caveat with getting into multitrack is having a the TIME to do the post production - and a PC with enough horsepower for mixing/processing.(vs mastering which isn't as intensive)

Offline andy_landy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2015, 08:31:50 AM »
I'd say it the other way around about the 12 year old HD24 Joe...sure, if you want to play around on the cheap... >:D

hmm, didn't realise the x32 had usb output, thanks for bringing that to my attention...

there are four venues (that i know of) in town with an x32, but only one we tape at regularly. the places we mostly frequent have either ls9's or analogue desks.

we love our hd24. had a hard drive fail at one point, but replaced it with a ssd and no problems since. knock on wood...

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2015, 10:56:43 AM »
I dunno about the term "cheap", maybe a small budget for the same results without paying out thousands is a better way to look at it :) 

I love my Alesis HD24, but I honestly do not use it all that much unless I am working the mixer and or working directly with the band I am field recording.  The travel Gator case I have mine in, when not in my home rack mount, makes it easy to take with you and simple to patch from the board.  It may be old school, but it definitely works like a charm and I honestly do not find it all that big a unit if that is all you are using on a location recording.  I also like the fact that it's great for a home studio, especially if you have quite a bit of old Hard Drives laying around...a perk from being an IT guy at the day job. 

Using the Alesis HD24 at home in the rack mount also has been an easy setup as well.  When all is said and done, I can simply master tracks running from the Alesis to my Yamaha MGP16 mixer and run the outs to the Denon DN500R SD Recorder. if I then need to really get down and dirty in mixing I can run the SD in the computer using my DAW and fine tune.

The Alesis is great for a budget price if you need 24 channels or less, and especially if you have a home studio and play an instrument.  I have had hours of fun with this recorder.

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline andy_landy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2015, 12:22:54 PM »
When all is said and done, I can simply master tracks running from the Alesis to my Yamaha MGP16 mixer and run the outs to the Denon DN500R SD Recorder.

i'm curious. why would you not just transfer the .wavs from the hd24 drive, and do all your mixing in the box?

Offline 404 Not Found

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2015, 12:40:55 PM »
I could do that and have done that.  It's really easy to just pull the drive(s) and run them direct it to my computer HD and then mix through my DAW.  If this was a live recording of a performance, then I would send to my computer.

I may have made things confusing in my prior post, because if it is not a live performance and rather a home studio recording, then I prefer mixing on a board especially if I have to do a re-mix on a track, on the fly with whatever instrument and or musician I am playing with. I find it easier to simply mix without dealing with the computer at times such as these.  If it was a live recorded concert performance, final mix and or a recording with no overdubs and re-mixing necessary and all is complete with the recording, then the DAW on my computer is fine to run direct to.

Recorders: Alesis HD24XR | Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Mod) | Sound Devices 552 |Zoom F8 | Zoom H6
Pre-Amp/Mic Mixers/PS: Sound Devices 552 | Sound Devices MixPre-D | Shure FP33 | Audix APS911's | Audio Technica AT8501
Mics: Telefunken M60 FET MP/TK62's  | Miktek C5 MP's | Neumann  KM100/AK40's AK43's AK45's | Audix M1255B's | Audix M1280B's | Sennheiser K3-U/ME-20's 40's & 80's | Shure VP88
Stands-Poles: Manfrotto 3361 (8') | Manfrotto 1004BAC (13') | K-Tek KE79CC Traveler Boom Pole (1.8 - 6.7' )| K-Tek KEG150CCR Carbon fiber boom pole (12.6')

LMA: https://archive.org/bookmarks/Adam%20Axel

Team Philly!

***Team Telefunken***

Offline andy_landy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
if it is not a live performance and rather a home studio recording, then I prefer mixing on a board

got it - that use case makes total sense in a creative environment, where spontaneity is important.

my head was just thinking "multichannel live audio recording!" which is indeed more suited to transfer + mix in the box.

thanks for the clarification!

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2015, 05:59:21 PM »

Different people have different ideas of cheap, especially those of us who are hobbyists.  I was assuming the OP was a hobbyist.  If he was a professional, he probably wouldn't be asking the question on this board. To me an X32 at $2800 is an expensive tool for professionals. An HD24 for $600 is a little expensive, and "cheap" is less than that. Most of the people that I know who record to computers, and I don't honestly know that many, they all seem to be frustrated with dropouts or incompatibility.  To me interfaces are for people recording their own band in their basement, where if something happens they can just do another take. You probably have different experiences and opinions. That's fine.

So - why the Firewire? Since no PCs come with it - just buy the right card! (vs buying a whole machine to get one feature!)

Buying a good firewire card for a computer which doesn't have the right chipset on the motherboard will fail too, unfortunately. Been there, done that. I'm just mentioning this because I didn't want the OP to see some cool box on eBay and grab it assuming it would work with any firewire laptop (like I did) and then not have it work.  That's all.

The biggest caveat with getting into multitrack is having a the TIME to do the post production - and a PC with enough horsepower for mixing/processing.(vs mastering which isn't as intensive)
Absolutely.  Those of you who mix down whole shows, how long is typical for you?  For me, it seems to be a week's worth of evenings for a 2 hour show.  At that point it's good enough to put it up on the LMA or make demo disks, or hand to some mastering guy who knows what he is doing.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:01:10 PM by SmokinJoe »
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2015, 11:56:57 PM »
I own an Alesis HD24, a JoeCo BBR-1B and a JoeCo BBR-1A.. I tend to use my laptop more than any of those these days plugging USB out of an x32 as most venues I end up at seem to be using one. Sometimes I'll use the BBR-1A as a back up plugging out of the Optical outputs of the Digital snake that most venues using an x32 use.   I also happen to own an X32, but it doesn't leave my house. I do house concerts, but mainly use it to mixdown recordings.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.136 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com