Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nottingham Interspace Jr.  (Read 11368 times)

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Nottingham Interspace Jr.
« on: February 13, 2015, 10:12:16 AM »
Anyone have any experience with Notthingham tables?  I am considering replacing my Rega P3-24 with the Nottingham unit.  Intent would be to use my Benz Micro gold cart on the Nottingham if I did it. 

Would appreciate any thoughts.

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nottingham Interspace Jr.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 06:44:50 PM »
I don't have anything for you, other than perhaps some offsite reading at audiokarm. Maybe something in those threads?
good luck, Nick.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/search.php?searchid=19567254

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 08:39:19 PM »
Go for it. If you're not happy you can always go back....or in another direction, too. I have no personal experience with them but I've have only heard extremely positive things about them. On paper you should be moving in the right direction. In the end it is all about the fun we have recreating music in or homes and this is part of the experience and ultimately the fun.

Report back after you've taken it for a spin.

If you keep the Rega tweak it out with what Tangospinner has to offer. I'm curious about his products, which look real nice and affordable. I can live my analog dream vicariously through you.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 08:34:37 AM »
finally got the nott table and just got it setup.  Will post listening thoughts after I have a few hours under my belt.  Initial thoughts...the table is heavy...30 lbs (well not as heavy as Moke's tables, but still heavy for me)....the tonearm still scares me a little, but I am sure that will wear off...the lack of a finger lift is going to take some getting used to and starting it by spinning it (no on off switch) is interesting in its own right...more thoughts to come...pics below.

mfrench

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 08:43:35 AM »
congrats, Nick.
Are those rubber damping bands around the platter in multiple positions?

No on/off switch?
How does it stop?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:45:27 AM by m0k3 »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2015, 08:46:40 AM »
yeah there are two of them.  platter is apparently a combination of metal and other material to make it dense. 

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2015, 08:50:58 AM »
notts designer always thought that the startup of the motor created more resonance in the table than was necessary and was detrimental to the sound.  so it is a low torque motor that is always running.  You stop start it by holding the platter/spinning it.  It gets up to speed quickly that way.

mfrench

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 11:06:03 AM »
So, the motor runs constantly?  How does it disengage from the driveline?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 03:39:49 PM »
Not exactly sure. Basically when you slow it down it stops until you spin it again.

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2015, 05:15:32 PM »
I get the spinning to get it started part.  I have a couple of decks that will tear themselves apart with torque if i don't get the platter spinning, if the motor is running when I disengage, and then reengage with a stopped platter. They're a bit like a clutch/manual tranny system; if you don't get the clutch right (getting the platter spinning first), you get a nasty jump.
rambling,… I ask because I truly don't know, Nick. Thanks.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 06:26:35 PM »
You can buy an aftermarket finger lift that can be secured under the cartridge mounting bolts. Nice table enjoy. Report back after listening and getting a feel for it.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2015, 10:27:08 AM »
I get the spinning to get it started part.  I have a couple of decks that will tear themselves apart with torque if i don't get the platter spinning, if the motor is running when I disengage, and then reengage with a stopped platter. They're a bit like a clutch/manual tranny system; if you don't get the clutch right (getting the platter spinning first), you get a nasty jump.
rambling,… I ask because I truly don't know, Nick. Thanks.

yeah it is strange...my audio guy said that it works either way...said the table is designed to stop and be spun up to start, but he leaves his on all the time.  Has had a Nott DAIS table for 8 years and it has been running constantly. 

You can buy an aftermarket finger lift that can be secured under the cartridge mounting bolts. Nice table enjoy. Report back after listening and getting a feel for it.

yeah, I saw that on the net, so may go that direction eventually.  But out of the gate I would like to try and live without it as I have to believe it could have a small effect on vibration.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
so after spending some time really listening to the table, I am pretty damn happy with my purchase.  I am using the same cart I had on my rega so the difference I am hearing is definitely the table.  There are two things that stand out...the music sounds much more 3 dimensional if that makes any sense.  The bass is much more well defined and punchy and the imaging has improved drastically (and the rega wasn't bad in this regard).  The combination of this tonearm and table are fantastic. 

So without going into too much audio hyperbole...I really like this table...hearing things differently on records that I know by heart.  And the best thing is I hear it on everything...I have always heard differences in tables/cartridges on jazz and acoustic music, but rock was subtle if at all.  Not the case with this table.  Pretty impressed.  Now I need to contact my local guy who does plexiglass show boxes for stuff and get him to make me a dust cover.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2015, 01:00:04 PM »
I.just bought a sweet cover. I'll take shot of it. I also have one of those platter tone arm covers I can sell real cheap. I can let it go for half of what I paid....around 35. I'll take a shot and you can look.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 01:42:21 PM »
Nick,

Here are the two covers. The first is the one I can let go for a good guy price of $35.00. I paid $75.00 for it just about 1.5 months ago. The second one is a full size cover but they go for around $275 to $400. I was looking for one for sometime but they always cost a bit more than I wanted to pay. I snatched this up for an incredible price but you will have to look long and hard because they don't come up very often, if at all. Your buddy, on the other hand, might be able to get you one at cost. That is a good friend to have. If not, they one I have available will get you by until find one.

Ray

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 01:47:54 PM »
Ray, thanks for posting it.  My guy thinks he won't have an issue with making me a cover like your latter one, so I am probably just going to hold out until he gets it done.  he is going to confirm he can do it later this week.  if he doesn't or the lead time is ridiculous I may reach out on the platform/tonearm cover.  Thanks! 

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2015, 12:03:33 AM »
Next time I come over, let's make sure its during the day so you can show me your rig! 

How was the Princess Party???   :P

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2015, 08:06:21 AM »
definitely Terry.  As for the princess party, it was about as awesome as a bunch of 8 year olds singing with Belle (from beauty and the beast) can be

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2015, 11:15:26 AM »
Ray, have a question.  where did you find the "feet" that your cover is slotted into?  My cover should be ready in 2 weeks, but the feet seems like a great idea....

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2015, 01:32:47 PM »
Those are just rubber bumpers, which are stuck to the platform the table is on. They have since been replaced with clear, flat oval ones. They keep the cover from sliding around and creates a nice secure fit. You can buy them at pretty much any hardware store.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2015, 05:48:39 PM »
good call...I was concerned with the cover sitting on a shelf with it sliding...this would solve that...thanks!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2015, 09:27:56 AM »
so a couple more thoughts after listening pretty extensively.  I am hearing little things I have never heard before...last night, listening to the river you could hear the vibration of the bass string after it was plucked...a low end that is lush and defined.  The other thing that is amazing to me is sound stage...particularly when listening to jazz, I can place every instrument on the "stage" in front of me...the seperation is amazing.  The only negative is I have a couple of records that have some small scratches that the rega was able to track with no problem but this light tonearm/cart jumps over them.  Minor thing given how great the table sounds on everything else, but my dealer is looking into a potentially heavier cart which may may with the arm better.

Bottom line this is the best money I have spent on my system since bi amping my speakers.  Freaking amazing.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2015, 10:09:23 AM »
To assist with tracking problems try increasing the mass of the tone arm by adding stainless steel washers between the headshell and the mounting bolts. Start with 2 grams worth and go up to 3 grams. This can help the cartridge and the tone arm better interface if there is a compliance issue between the two. Note; this is not tracking weight but rather tone arm mass. You should adjust your tracking weight accordingly after adding the extra weight.

Also, don't fear increasing the tracking weight of your cartridge. Use the upper limits of tracking...e.g. if the manufacturer recommends 1.5-2 grams....set tracking at 2 grams. This can also minimize issues related to groove distortion.

mfrench

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 10:34:40 AM »
Are you getting used to the needle drop with the unipivot arm?  They can be a little different to get used to.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »
To assist with tracking problems try increasing the mass of the tone arm by adding stainless steel washers between the headshell and the mounting bolts. Start with 2 grams worth and go up to 3 grams. This can help the cartridge and the tone arm better interface if there is a compliance issue between the two. Note; this is not tracking weight but rather tone arm mass. You should adjust your tracking weight accordingly after adding the extra weight.

Also, don't fear increasing the tracking weight of your cartridge. Use the upper limits of tracking...e.g. if the manufacturer recommends 1.5-2 grams....set tracking at 2 grams. This can also minimize issues related to groove distortion.

thanks Ray, will give that a try

Are you getting used to the needle drop with the unipivot arm?  They can be a little different to get used to.

surprisingly I dont even notice not having a finger lift anymore!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2015, 09:37:54 AM »
not a cheap addition but looks great and will keep dust off.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2015, 10:57:40 PM »
Looks great. If you care to experiment I would recommend adding a granite slab on your shelf and under the table. I have found these to be very good at adding another layer of protection against airborne and mechanical vibrations. Find a custom shop that specializes in counter tops.  The cut out for the sink as well as other scraps work great. A shop near me is happy as all get out and will provide prices to my specs for $25.00. A real win/win.

I would make it slightly larger than your wall stand so your dust cover can sit completely flush on it.

I'll shoot an updated picture of mine, if that helps.

Btw did you resolve some of your minor tracking issues?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2015, 08:07:07 AM »
Looks great. If you care to experiment I would recommend adding a granite slab on your shelf and under the table. I have found these to be very good at adding another layer of protection against airborne and mechanical vibrations. Find a custom shop that specializes in counter tops.  The cut out for the sink as well as other scraps work great. A shop near me is happy as all get out and will provide prices to my specs for $25.00. A real win/win.

I would make it slightly larger than your wall stand so your dust cover can sit completely flush on it.

I'll shoot an updated picture of mine, if that helps.

Btw did you resolve some of your minor tracking issues?

Thanks...I will look into the granite.  BTW the bumpers from lowes were a great idea...for now, they allow my to sit my cover in the same spot every time and will protect from gentle bumps (which is all that ever really should happen).

For tracking, havent had a chance to make any changes yet as I got married last weekend...hoping in the next couple of weeks when things slow down I am going to try adding some weight...

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2015, 09:00:28 AM »
Enjoy the ride!

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2015, 09:07:24 AM »
I got married last weekend...

Congrats!!!

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

mfrench

« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
Nick,
Look into soapstone as well. Its very dead, acoustically.  It is used for countertops, though not as commonly as granite.
I just found something that has my mind grinding,…. a soapstone platter "mat" for mass.
http://oldtexas.net/Soapstone-Pizza-Stone?manufacturer_id=13
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:14:22 AM by m0k3 »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
I got married last weekend...

Congrats!!!

Terry

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks!

so a question I am thinking about (and this goes to Moke as well...nice suggestion on soapstone)...given the fact that my table weighs 40 lbs already and is mounted to two studs on the wall...am I really going to see a benefit from a heavy mass platform?  I know the answer is yes, but trying to reconcile in my head why that would be the case....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:09:03 PM by nickgregory »

« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
Not knowing anything about TTs, I would think that the greater your Mass, the more Force that would be needed to cause any kind of Acceleration, ie F=MA (simple physics).  In TT terms, I would think that the greater the mass of your Platter, it would require a more forceful vibration to make the Platter vibrate... 

But like I said, I know nothing about TTs...

Terry

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »
makes sense Terry, I am guessing that impact would be somewhat incremental...

« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
makes sense Terry, I am guessing that impact would be somewhat incremental...

To add further (demonstrating my lack of real knowledge again), all solid objects transfer energy, ie vibrations travels through a medium (sounds vibrations travel through air, but not through a vacuum), so any kind of mass will always be subject to external vibrations...  That said, you could further isolate from vibration by removing your platter from physical contact with other objects, ie floating the platter on air or something...  Its a balance of sorts I would think - you need to have some kind contact in order from the motor to turn the platter etc, but at the same time, more contact means greater transference of vibration...  You can see this principle in those pointy isolating feet you can get for various components - physical contact is made between the component and the shelf it sits on, but contact is minimized to needle-points...

I'll also point out the the F=MA applies to the platter in another way:  the greater the mass of your platter, the harder your motor will have to work to accelerate it to playing speed, ie it will need more torque to get going.  Better make sure the motor can handle the extra work!

Everyone is welcome to point out my stupidity and tell me to shut up now!

Terry

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:01:14 PM by twatts (Where Are My Pants?) »

mfrench

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »
Well,…. it was, as stated a thought.
I have two tables with soapstone plinths.  I was going to have a water jet cutter cut one to just shy of 12". But, Sarge knocked it over, and it broke. That platter would have weighed about 22lbs, in addition to an 8lb stock platter.
So, when I saw these, hmmm…
Torque?
sorry for the highjack, Nick.
One of my decks that i built, I literally reconfigured the idler wheel driveline, and installed a modern DC motor and controller card.  The motor has a huge amount of torque.  I was fiddling around feeling some of the idler wheel components, feeling for vibrations, freedom of movement, etc.. I reached under the platter while it was spinning. The platter caught my finger, and twisted it 180º over, with me trying to follow the twisting finger, trying to minimize it, or perhaps keep it from getting twisted off.. It slammed my finger into a spot tight enough that it stopped the platter rotation, finally. It then started trying to hammer its way through the roadblock.  I had what amounts to a sprained/twisted index finger at mid-joint, with swelling and stiffness for a week.
Some decks, have motors in them that can drive the washing machine, easily.

Bearings and thrust plates,… the other bit that needs to be capable of keeping up.
/highjack

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
Nick,

Here is a shot of the flat bumpers as well as a full size Granite Slab, which sits on another Granite slab, separated by eight spaced flat bumpers on 50lbs of sand in a sand box. Total mass weight of isolation stand, without the component stand is 150lbs. I know that something like this is too much weight for your wall stand but one slab of granite resting on flat bumpers on your wall stand, with your turntable on top of that should be just fine. I don't have a source for soapstone but that would be an interesting experiment, too.

Which ever way you go I would make sure that the platform is wide enough so that your dust cover has a complete platform to fit on.

Ray

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
thanks guys...some food for thought

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
havent moved to a new turntable platform yet, but recently made two changes that were not subtle in effect.  First I bought a CI Audio VPC-3 passive pre to run from my pre to my tube amp so I could attenuate the signal a bit.  Made a huge difference...gave me my bass back with the crystal clear highs...amazing little box....should be a must for all biamp setups

Second I swapped out my Gold Lion KT-88s for some NOS Russian 6LCGCs and holy crap that was huge.  All the adjectives you can imagine but honestly to me it just sounds more musical....gave a soft edge to the upper end.  I am going to have to play with tube swapping more often!

Everytime I feel like I am hearing my system sound better than it ever has, I am crossing a new baseline.  This could be the most addictive hobby I have ever immersed myself into

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.14 seconds with 63 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com