Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Nottingham Interspace Jr.  (Read 11371 times)

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Nottingham Interspace Jr.
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 09:53:27 AM »
Nick,
Look into soapstone as well. Its very dead, acoustically.  It is used for countertops, though not as commonly as granite.
I just found something that has my mind grinding,…. a soapstone platter "mat" for mass.
http://oldtexas.net/Soapstone-Pizza-Stone?manufacturer_id=13
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:14:22 AM by m0k3 »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 02:47:45 PM »
I got married last weekend...

Congrats!!!

Terry

Enjoy the ride!

Thanks!

so a question I am thinking about (and this goes to Moke as well...nice suggestion on soapstone)...given the fact that my table weighs 40 lbs already and is mounted to two studs on the wall...am I really going to see a benefit from a heavy mass platform?  I know the answer is yes, but trying to reconcile in my head why that would be the case....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 03:09:03 PM by nickgregory »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 03:05:58 PM »
Not knowing anything about TTs, I would think that the greater your Mass, the more Force that would be needed to cause any kind of Acceleration, ie F=MA (simple physics).  In TT terms, I would think that the greater the mass of your Platter, it would require a more forceful vibration to make the Platter vibrate... 

But like I said, I know nothing about TTs...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 03:09:35 PM »
makes sense Terry, I am guessing that impact would be somewhat incremental...

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 09:58:39 PM »
makes sense Terry, I am guessing that impact would be somewhat incremental...

To add further (demonstrating my lack of real knowledge again), all solid objects transfer energy, ie vibrations travels through a medium (sounds vibrations travel through air, but not through a vacuum), so any kind of mass will always be subject to external vibrations...  That said, you could further isolate from vibration by removing your platter from physical contact with other objects, ie floating the platter on air or something...  Its a balance of sorts I would think - you need to have some kind contact in order from the motor to turn the platter etc, but at the same time, more contact means greater transference of vibration...  You can see this principle in those pointy isolating feet you can get for various components - physical contact is made between the component and the shelf it sits on, but contact is minimized to needle-points...

I'll also point out the the F=MA applies to the platter in another way:  the greater the mass of your platter, the harder your motor will have to work to accelerate it to playing speed, ie it will need more torque to get going.  Better make sure the motor can handle the extra work!

Everyone is welcome to point out my stupidity and tell me to shut up now!

Terry

« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 10:01:14 PM by twatts (Where Are My Pants?) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2015, 10:46:28 PM »
Well,…. it was, as stated a thought.
I have two tables with soapstone plinths.  I was going to have a water jet cutter cut one to just shy of 12". But, Sarge knocked it over, and it broke. That platter would have weighed about 22lbs, in addition to an 8lb stock platter.
So, when I saw these, hmmm…
Torque?
sorry for the highjack, Nick.
One of my decks that i built, I literally reconfigured the idler wheel driveline, and installed a modern DC motor and controller card.  The motor has a huge amount of torque.  I was fiddling around feeling some of the idler wheel components, feeling for vibrations, freedom of movement, etc.. I reached under the platter while it was spinning. The platter caught my finger, and twisted it 180º over, with me trying to follow the twisting finger, trying to minimize it, or perhaps keep it from getting twisted off.. It slammed my finger into a spot tight enough that it stopped the platter rotation, finally. It then started trying to hammer its way through the roadblock.  I had what amounts to a sprained/twisted index finger at mid-joint, with swelling and stiffness for a week.
Some decks, have motors in them that can drive the washing machine, easily.

Bearings and thrust plates,… the other bit that needs to be capable of keeping up.
/highjack

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
Nick,

Here is a shot of the flat bumpers as well as a full size Granite Slab, which sits on another Granite slab, separated by eight spaced flat bumpers on 50lbs of sand in a sand box. Total mass weight of isolation stand, without the component stand is 150lbs. I know that something like this is too much weight for your wall stand but one slab of granite resting on flat bumpers on your wall stand, with your turntable on top of that should be just fine. I don't have a source for soapstone but that would be an interesting experiment, too.

Which ever way you go I would make sure that the platform is wide enough so that your dust cover has a complete platform to fit on.

Ray

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2015, 10:20:45 AM »
thanks guys...some food for thought

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2015, 05:08:49 PM »
havent moved to a new turntable platform yet, but recently made two changes that were not subtle in effect.  First I bought a CI Audio VPC-3 passive pre to run from my pre to my tube amp so I could attenuate the signal a bit.  Made a huge difference...gave me my bass back with the crystal clear highs...amazing little box....should be a must for all biamp setups

Second I swapped out my Gold Lion KT-88s for some NOS Russian 6LCGCs and holy crap that was huge.  All the adjectives you can imagine but honestly to me it just sounds more musical....gave a soft edge to the upper end.  I am going to have to play with tube swapping more often!

Everytime I feel like I am hearing my system sound better than it ever has, I am crossing a new baseline.  This could be the most addictive hobby I have ever immersed myself into

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com