Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thorens TD 850 revisted, modded and refreshed  (Read 4441 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Thorens TD 850 revisted, modded and refreshed
« on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
This is the final version of this table. As I indicated a few weeks back the stock motor was failing and demonstrated intermittent stability problems. So, after becoming frustrated and unable to resolve the issue I went with the Ultra Origin Live motor upgrade. It was an easy install and after burn in it settled in nicely. Also, my Glider was due for a refresher, so off to SoundSmith it went for a new ruby cantilever and tip. I just got it back 3 days ago and have been enjoying the heck out of it. While it was off to SS, which was around 7 weeks, good work takes time; I used a Grado Platinum Reference and for a short time, as well as a Shure M95. Well, although the Grado was nice it pales in comparison to what Peter at SS was able to do to my Glider! Getting it back in my system was nothing short of awesome!

This final version of my newest table is the best I have had to date and at the ripe age of 53 I have engaged the vinyl highway and turntables my entire life. It is not that I am a turntable slut; I tend to stick with something for a while.  However, I have dabbled in side projects with the intent to continue to improve my vinyl front end. To that point, this is the best I have had. As it stands, and in combination with the rest of my playback system, this table, motor, arm and cartridge brings resolution, timbre, dynamics and frequency response that I have been working towards.

My Well Temper Record Player was my long term reference until I replaced it with my highly modded Thorens TD 166 mkII, which was a beauty and simply amazing sounding regardless of its vintage. The mods I performed on it simply pushed it beyond my WTRP, so bye, bye to the WTRP. Happenstance brought me the TD 850 and in its stock form, albeit with the Michell Tecnoarm, its low end was a bit more extended and better defined. It also seems to project music from a blacker background, so bye, bye to the modded 166 mk II. Now with the TD 850 mods, Origin Live, and Tecnoarm this table is complete and will hopefully be in my system for well into the future.

For those that don't know, the TD 850 was Thorens re-entry into the turntable market after closing its doors in the late 1990's. It was their top of the line foray and received rave reviews from the audio press. Its production run was 2002-2006, roughly, plus or minus a year or so. If you can find one on the used market snatch it up. You will not be disappointed. However, they do not come up very often so get one when you can.

Finally, the Tecnoarm is fantastic and pushes the Rega arm to its maximum performance level. And, if you are ever in need a re-tip or cantilever replacement, Peter of SoundSmith is nothing short of amazing. What you will get back from him is work that is second to none, and in many cases will exceed your stock cartridge's original performance.

Enjoy. I know I am!

Ray
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 10:36:45 AM by raymonda »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
Re: Thorens TD 850 revisted, modded and refreshed
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:05:03 AM »
that platter is the most unique thing I have seen.  I assume the LP sits down into it and the edges are all part of the whole platter assembly?

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 11:17:41 AM »
No, it is an accessory. It is a TTW ring clamp and is placed on after placing the album is on the platter.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:35:16 AM by raymonda »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 11:27:13 AM »
that looks pretty interesting...definitely will look into it. 

I finally pulled the trigger on the Nottingham Interspace jr...my dealer is putting my benz gold micro on it this afternoon.  Looking forward to being blown away!

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 11:34:53 AM »
that looks pretty interesting...definitely will look into it. 

I finally pulled the trigger on the Nottingham Interspace jr...my dealer is putting my benz gold micro on it this afternoon.  Looking forward to being blown away!

Nice!!!!! I ran a Benz Silver for a few years and really enjoyed it. It was what pushed me towards buying a Glider. Nottingham's are fantastic tables and will serve you well for many years to come!

A ring clamp can serve two purposes:

1) Help with flattening out mild warps and dish issues.

2) Control Resonance.

However, they don't come cheap. I got mine for a great price but it was used and I had to jump on it quickly. If I was to buy new I would look at the ebay seller Listeningchina. They make one and sell it for around $250. Everyone else sells them for between $500 to $1000. Certainly not the first thing you want to buy but when all else is settled it is worth a try.

BTW, post a picture of your table. I would love to see it!

Ray

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 11:38:06 AM »
good info on the clamp.  one thing that has always scared me with a unipivot arm (and why i avoided the nott table for a while even though my dealer kept trying to push me in that direction) is how it will behave with a record that is not completely flat.  The ring clamp may end up being something that I need to look into to pair with the nottingham.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 11:52:51 AM »
good info on the clamp.  one thing that has always scared me with a unipivot arm (and why i avoided the nott table for a while even though my dealer kept trying to push me in that direction) is how it will behave with a record that is not completely flat.  The ring clamp may end up being something that I need to look into to pair with the nottingham.

A friend of mine had owned a VPI with a JMM arm and, too these ears, it sounded great! As long as everything is made to tight tolerences a unipivot works great. Also, some unipivots allow for damping fluid, which can help with concerns about tracking difficult records. Add too much, though, and it can deaden the sound.

Also, I guess you could say my WTTA was a unipivot and it was one great tracker. Although the dished platter and clamp pretty much took all dish and warps out of any album.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:54:46 AM by raymonda »

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »
that is good to know.  My audio guy basically told me the same thing.  I am looking forward to hearing with my own ears.  I do like the idea of platter and clamp as I have a couple of records that have a slight warp that I would like to improve it. 

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 01:10:15 PM »
Unipivots are amazing trackers.  It will likely outperform pretty much anything else in this regard.
Congrats, Nick!  You'll grow to love that arm.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com