Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Chromecast & Plex - Streaming Music from laptop to to Stereo Amp  (Read 4835 times)

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
I've wanted to do this for years and when I looked into it...It appeared that with Chromecast you could stream Netflix and Youtube all day...but not a audio file on your local hard drive. I've lived with a long RCA Cable and mini-Stereo plugged into the laptop Headphone out for years....but the dog is not familiar with that an almost took out my laptop and jerked the cable out bending the plug...so time to look into this again.

Today I found PLEX Media Server & it will...in a fashion! Files are accessed from Chrome web browser on a PLEX webpage that has a "Cast" icon, you must sign up and log in to Plex and link the Chromecast as a device. I setup a folder and put music files there, and do a sync to the media server database...but It appears to not sync Redbook Wave files?

So far I can stream MP3 files on my laptop that I've downloaded from archive.org and my recordings in MP3 files I've edited in Windows Media Player to add song title and a thumbnail.

hmm...would love to have higher res files playing.

Anyone else have experience doing this or another solution?

http://plex.tv/
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 05:58:06 AM by Hypnocracy »

This must be heaven -- 'cause here's where the rainbow ends
If this ain't the real thing, then it's close enough to pretend

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
Re: Chromcast & Plex - Streaming Music from laptop to to Stereo Amp
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:15 AM »
It appears that Plex player supports MP3 and AAC audio formats.

Advanced Audio Coding (AAC) is an audio coding standard for lossy digital audio compression. Designed to be the successor of the MP3 format, AAC generally achieves better sound quality than MP3 at similar bit rates.
Advanced Audio Coding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_CodingWikipedia

Audacity will export AAC. CDWave will only do high res MP3 upto 320kbps.

Offline DiggerinVA

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Chromecast & Plex - Streaming Music from laptop to to Stereo Amp
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
I am using the Apple Airport Express and Airfoil. 44.1 flac's work. Don't remember if I tried the 24/48 or not.
Sony C38B's --> Lunatec V2-->PMD661
B-3's --> Tinybox 1.5 --> PCM-M10

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:46:45 PM »
I am using the Apple Airport Express and Airfoil. 44.1 flac's work. Don't remember if I tried the 24/48 or not.

I was an early adopter to mac in the 1980's...but am windoze all the way now...Airport will work with windoze but I have a internet provider supplied wifi router/cable modem...I guess I could hook a Airport up to the cable modem though...hmm...

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 10:08:35 PM »
You should be able to use an Express as an extender/repeater. As you know, I'm not using mine anymore. LMK if you want it.

I was an early adopter to mac in the 1980's...but am windoze all the way now...Airport will work with windoze but I have a internet provider supplied wifi router/cable modem...I guess I could hook a Airport up to the cable modem though...hmm...
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:16:17 AM »
set plex to direct play when transcoding and you will be good with both
i have streamed 24/96 wav but response to commands is slow
flac worked also

my plex devices are all lan fed not wifi
maby a wifi limitation

i love plex

g

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 05:36:39 AM »
Wanted to revisit as it is almost a month later that I've been using PLEX. The issue was that FLAC files didn't have Meta information...Track number Track Name Artist Album thumbnail...etc.

That is why the MP3's showed up...they have meta data...FLAC's were edited using the freeware app "Mp3tag" adding metadata and now show up on SYNC.

Plex has a couple of apps....Plex Media Server...Plex for Home Theater...and interfaces for mobile devices I have Plex on my android. While I'm at the home on WiFi Network I have full access to the sync'd FLAC's.

I'm seriously considering a Raspberry Pi to run the Plex Media Server (PMS)...when I shut the cover on the laptop I lose the PMS and the Plex system is down...The Raspberry Pi would solve that issue....

The other issue is Direct connectivity of the Plex Home Theater app and the Audio Amp. When played directly from the laptop to the AMP (not going through Chromcast) the Music is Gapless...

Biggest Gripe...NO GAPLESS PLAY BACK....when playing through the web interface....UGHHHH

No great surprise I guess....I've lived without Gapless Playback on the LMA Player for years....I use VibeVault on the phone...and isn't Gapless either...

Coolest Feature....FULL access to my FLAC library anywhere on the WWW...all music sync'd to the PMS will be available on my phone anywhere...If I get the inspiration to work out the WiFI Router network bugs...
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 06:10:31 AM by Hypnocracy »

Offline Chilly Brioschi

• The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Waiting for the next cladogenetic event, or Godot
    • Oceana North America
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2015, 07:28:25 AM »
https://support.google.com/googleplay/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=4415504
Google Play Music handles FLAC and Chromecast
Not sure how well...

I like wires for my music, big hospital power cords, aircraft control lines for speaker wire, glass power insulators to isolate them from the floor, and rare earth minerals on my CD player to prevent atmospheric interference, and most of all, WWll surplus RF silver tinsel wire interconnects with maladium-bronze end plugs.      :facepalm:

Does Plex Chromecast?

"Peace is for everyone"
        - Norah Jones

"Music is the drug that won't kill you"
         - Fran Lebowitz

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2015, 07:57:12 AM »
Does Plex Chromecast?

Plex can play through the Chromecast in two ways...launch a web page (in Google Chrome ONLY) of:

http://plex.tv/web/app

OR download the Chrome Plex Extension App...what is the difference....well no URL and Web page clutter...it is very much like running the Plex Home Theater (PHT) application on the desktop BUT with Mouse Support...

Off topic but....you said Mouse Support ??? We've had Mouse interfaces since the first MacIntosh back in the 80's

Yeah but the PHT application running on the Desktop is a 10ft GUI meant to be ran with a TV REMOTE on screen of your home theater TV...NO MOUSE SUPPORT and from reading the forums on Plex there is no plan on adding it...you can go into the guts of the application and paste some instuctions to the comuter program to add it if you are that inclined...but the reports are that it isn't the end all answer to mouse support in PHT

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com