Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: McIntosh ML-2C  (Read 2733 times)

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My LMA collection
McIntosh ML-2C
« on: April 10, 2015, 10:23:16 AM »
Hey All-

My brother is building an old school analog system to play back his collection of vinyl and he's been asking me for advice on amps, speakers, etc.  I don't know a ton about playback gear, but I recommended he search for older, quality speakers that he might find at a bargain.   A friend has offered to sell him, after verifying he wouldn't be using them with his iPod to play back 64kbps Mp3s,  ;) his fathers pair of McIntosh ML-2C loudspeakers.  Aside from recognizing the McIntosh name, I really know nothing about these speakers or their value.  I do know they are large and he does have the room for them- aside from that, does anyone have any experience with these and what a pair in good condition might go for?  THe seller mentioned these typically come with an equalizer (mc101-102?) but he does not have that.

Thoughts on these and their value?

Thanks!
Jesse
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: McIntosh ML-2C
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »
Dunno.

However here is a good resource for you.  The personal website of  retired McIntosh engineer, designer of their speakers back in the day, Roger Russell- http://www.roger-russell.com/

You will probably find lots of info on these speakers there, and perhaps the story of their development and his assessment of their strengths and weaknesses as well.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 02:38:47 PM »
Speakers are not McIntosh's strong suit. Generally they have been panned as poor performers......however, for the right price they might be a lot of fun......and who knows....they might even please him. If he is looking to get maximum dollar I would go elsewhere, though.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:33 PM »
If he jumps on them the 101 EQ is mandatory and should come with them.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com