Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Good Headphones for what we do?  (Read 10488 times)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
Good Headphones for what we do?
« on: April 19, 2015, 11:32:52 AM »
Hi, I don't know whether this question would fit under "playback" or "post processing" so I'll try posting it here...

I have these headphones which I received for a Christmas gift a couple of years ago: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-cVv4tjoHFxE/p_107BUCKLEN/Polk-Audio-Buckle-Brown.html

They seem ok for listening, but the bass seems over-emphasized and I'm worried that they will adversely affect the outcome if I use them when making EQ adjustments in post.
(My approach thus far has been to listen to my recordings on the home stereo, in the car, on headphones (and even plugged "line-in" on my old school Panasonic boom box, to get a really good idea of how they sound before tackling any EQ adjustments)

Does anyone have recommendations for good headphones to use for this purpose?

Thanks,
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Good Headphones for what we do?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »
What you want are a set of "monitor" headphones: they have a flat frequency response and don't over emphasize any particular part of the listening spectrum.  There are lots of good and reputable industry-standard ones available and everyone has their personal favorites (Sony 7506, AKG 240, Sennheiser 280, Beyerdynamic 770, etc).  Mine are the Audio-Technica ATH-M50.  If you have a good brick and mortar shop where you can audition headphones for sound and comfort, it would be a good idea to go and spend some time trying them on and listening. 

Offline chk

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 12:25:29 PM »
I am a big fan of the audio technica ath-m50s too. I've owned several other headphones and these are my favorite. Very flat freq response. Great bang for the buck. If you shop around you should be able to find them for around $100.

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2015, 12:39:46 PM »
I got a pair of the aforementioned Sonys for my birthday last month - only just getting my ears around them, as it were, but finding them very neutral so far and that good-sounding results through them are reliably good on other systems. Comfortable too.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline AdamHuston

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2015, 12:47:25 PM »
I use the Audio Technica's also.  Actually have two pairs I like them so much
Mics: Schoeps MK4's, Telefunken TF11's, Busman BSC2's, DPA 4061's
Preamps: Audioroot Femto, DPA MMA-A
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre 6-II, Tascam DR2d, Sound Devices MixPre 6-I

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2015, 12:52:37 PM »
I am a big fan of the audio technica ath-m50s too. I've owned several other headphones and these are my favorite. Very flat freq response. Great bang for the buck. If you shop around you should be able to find them for around $100.

Me too!
These are an absolute steal if you don't mind the white color
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=172421.0
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 01:28:07 PM »

I am a fan of the Sennheiser HD280. I've had a pair for many years and I like the sound and the fit (I have a really big dome). They are not the most flat response of the cans I've listened to but they work fine for me. I do the bulk of my mixing on monitors but I usually give a couple of tracks a listen on the cans before calling it done.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=240764&gclid=CPuZ1fzwgsUCFdgdgQodLpgAZA&Q=&is=REG&A=details

Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 03:12:28 PM »
I've been using Sennheiser HD 380s for a few months and very happy with them so far.  The bass response in particular is excellent (in range extension, not in over-hyped bloat).  I've gone back to several old recordings and found LF rumble that I missed.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/650058-REG/Sennheiser_HD_380PRO_HD_380_Pro_Circumaural.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 03:22:00 PM »
I use those Sennheiser 380 Pro for last few years and love them,you can replace the pads and cable too if you ever need to.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 03:40:11 PM »
I use those Sennheiser 380 Pro for last few years and love them,you can replace the pads and cable too if you ever need to.
Yeah the stock cable is really bulky and heavy - I replaced with this which was lightweight and worked perfectly:
http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Shop/Recertified-Products-and-Accessories/Accessories/P5-standard-audio-cable.html
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline opsopcopolis

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 03:51:02 PM »
The Sony 7506s are my recommendation. They're nice and flat.  Moreso than the HD280s IMO

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I wouldn't recommend mixing solely on headphones, if you can avoid it. If you can't, the ATH-M50s are the best bang for the buck by far.

If you're talking about monitoring live, the HD280s from Sennheiser have better sound isolation than the M50s. They sound worse, but for live monitoring, they're an excellent choice. I'd say a majority of engineers I see around the venues I go to use them.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 07:09:01 PM »
FWIW, you'll see quite a few FOH guys with ATH-M50 at the board. 

Also, remember that headphones can use a good burn-in.  I always thought that was snake oil advice until I bought a pair of Senn HD600 whose character really changed alot after i burned them in for 100 hours or so.  I've burned in another pair since that didn't have as large a change (hd700) but the one experience sold me on the fact that it can make a difference.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:39:50 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 08:08:52 PM »
I edit and master with a DAC driving isolation stand mounted powered near field monitor speakers.

Headphones Applications
Sony MDR-7506's in the field and with Focusrite VRM Box to check virtual mix compatibility, general listening with AKG K240's or Sennheiser HD424's and then Sennheiser PX100's or Shure SE215's for iPod use.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2015, 09:07:16 PM »
Among Sound Engineers, the go to headphone is the Sony MDR-7506. 

I say that because at two of my local sound companies, I asked the repair techs what is the most popular headphone, and that was their answer.  Now granted, if its being repaired 3x more than any other model or brand that means two things--(1) They break; and (2) Its worth for the user to actually spend the bread to repair the unit, rather than toss it. 

I have two pairs by the way, and love it. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline ScoobieKW

• Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2015, 09:36:57 PM »
I got a pair of the aforementioned Sonys for my birthday last month - only just getting my ears around them, as it were, but finding them very neutral so far and that good-sounding results through them are reliably good on other systems. Comfortable too.

I like 7506's but I need a pair that will give great isolation at shows.

These are on my Christmas list.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/283347-REG/Remote_Audio_HN7506_HN_7506_High_Noise_Isolating.html

Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2015, 10:08:22 PM »
For remote recording, isolation is needed.  For listening/mixing, accurate reproduction.  Could be a set of buds (under ear muffs in some cases) for the former.   

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2015, 10:23:27 PM »
For work at shows where you need isolation, absolutely nothing beats good in ears.  I have a pair of these and the isolation is 200x better than any over ears I've used (which is a lot). I use them for checking levels a lot and actually sub them in for the headphones thing at UM shows now because the isolation is so much better than the over ears.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/search?N=10758635&InitialSearch=yes&sts=pi

stevetoney

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:19 AM »
Among Sound Engineers, the go to headphone is the Sony MDR-7506. 

I say that because at two of my local sound companies, I asked the repair techs what is the most popular headphone, and that was their answer.  Now granted, if its being repaired 3x more than any other model or brand that means two things--(1) They break; and (2) Its worth for the user to actually spend the bread to repair the unit, rather than toss it. 

I have two pairs by the way, and love it.

...which might be a good reason why you see so many ATH-M50 at the soundboard...they're rugged and hold up in the field.  I know some have praised their sound.  I personally don't care for them much for anything but casual field monitoring, but I have a pair that I've used in my bag and they've they've been rock solid after four years of moderate use...averaging between once and twice weekly over the course of the year. 

So refining my earlier response, I'd say that if your general needs are a rugged, well respected headphone that has a record of field durability and your needs are like mine...which is to have something basic for checking levels and making sure your signal is clean, then these would be a great option.  They fold up quite nicely as well.  If you want something that you can listen to and monitor the detailed EQ of the show, where sound isolation is an important factor, then look elsewhere.

stevetoney

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
For remote recording, isolation is needed.  For listening/mixing, accurate reproduction.  Could be a set of buds (under ear muffs in some cases) for the former.   

Expanding on this a bit...I mean, don't buy open back headphones and take them in the field, but all I can control is level and balance on my rig anyway.  Unless I'm a sound engineer that needs to EQ a show, I really don't need much sound isolation to know that my recording is clean and my levels are well balanced. 

The point is that buying headphones can be, and usually is, a process of balancing features to need.  That's why I have separate phones for my field rig, my home/max enjoyment rig, and my work rig.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 09:26:40 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 01:43:18 PM »

Expanding on this a bit...I mean, don't buy open back headphones and take them in the field, but all I can control is level and balance on my rig anyway.  Unless I'm a sound engineer that needs to EQ a show, I really don't need much sound isolation to know that my recording is clean and my levels are well balanced. 

The point is that buying headphones can be, and usually is, a process of balancing features to need.  That's why I have separate phones for my field rig, my home/max enjoyment rig, and my work rig.

FWIW I'm generally in this camp, and for field monitoring, I use earbuds. For me personally, all I want to generally know is whether there's distortion or something "wrong". Unless the thing is being live-streamed or something, I rarely ever even get headphones out at all. I have separate pairs for home listening (Denon ADH7000), nicer portable listening, and other portable listening. It's not that I'm collecting them so much as I don't break headphones very often :)

But yeah, no headphone is "perfect". I really love the Audeze LCD series, which are $$$ and very neutral, almost like the DPA mics of headphones. But they are also huge and open-back and so neutral that they might 'bother' you for music listening. It all really depends.

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline IowaClint

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »
I mix regularly and use AT-40/AT-50's.  I also have a set of custom ears that I use for the super loud shows(95db+).  From where I am sitting in the Aud I get enough isolation using the AT's when the db's are 85-95 range.  Anything above that and I am using in-ears.  Just my .02

Offline yates7592

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2015, 03:49:47 AM »
Sennheiser HD800 - the most 'monitor-like' cans around. Very flat frequency response, ultra-low bass extension, excellent dynamics/transients, widest/deepest soundstage, imaging, the list goes on. Trouble is you really need to spend another 2x - 3x - 4x on a DAC and amp to get the best out of them.

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2015, 06:13:40 AM »
Sennheiser HD800 - the most 'monitor-like' cans around. Very flat frequency response, ultra-low bass extension, excellent dynamics/transients, widest/deepest soundstage, imaging, the list goes on. Trouble is you really need to spend another 2x - 3x - 4x on a DAC and amp to get the best out of them.

For $1500, they better come with dinner and a happy ending.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

Offline sperho

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Newbie
    • AudioVisual
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2015, 09:26:28 AM »
Another very popular headphone for recordists and broadcasters (you seem them on TV announcers at live events all of the time, usually with a boom mic attached) is the Sennheiser HD-25-1 IIs.  I own the following headphones/earbuds and my 2 cents on each:

Sony M7506 - very good, mostly neutral sound at less than $100 - not great isolation; I mostly use these at my desk for file review and editing

Sennheiser HD-25-1 II:  comparable to the Sony's sound, but perhaps a little less low end.  They are smaller and isolate better than the Sony's - I use these primarily for recording

HiFiMan HE500 - open back, huge, heavy, great sound when properly driven - I use them only for music listening in my comfy "music chair"

Westone W30 buds - very good sound, great isolation (~-25 dB), I use in loud situations during recording and general music listening when traveling, especially on planes

ATH-M50 - decent sound, not as neutral as the Sonys and Senns, not very comfortable after the pads start to stiffen.  I don't use them any more - my wife likes them when she is walking on the treadmill, however.  They isolate somewhere between the 7506 and the Senns

I think the HD-25-1 IIs are the most versatile in my collection from a recording standpoint.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 09:39:29 AM by sperho »

Offline elan_vital

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 12:03:28 AM »
Near field flat response monitor speakers are the best for putting final touches on a mix, but if you need to use headphones, make sure they are comfortable, are of the open design variety and produce as neutral sound as possible.
Start here for a good selection at any price
http://www.acqurate.com/55920df27ec4866a694f60e5

Offline wharfratjoe

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
Been using Shure SRH440's and they have been working out nicely for myself especially when I don't have the oppurtunity to listen with my speakers (KRK's)
MBHO440, AKG C568EB, AKG 414, AKG 460/CK61, SP LSD2
Zoom H6 x2, Zoom H4n
Edirol UA-5 x2

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2015, 09:57:43 AM »
I'm not comfortable making low bass and treble EQ mix decisions without speaker listening. 
I'm not comfortable making decisions on the audibility of details and without headphone listening.

Senn HD650 is the best for me so far.

Like to try the HD700 and HD800 sometime, and the Audeze LCDs
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2015, 11:10:47 AM »
..with Focusrite VRM Box to check virtual mix compatibility..

Can you tell me more about this device?
How well it works, how you use it, what you do and don't like about it, etc.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2015, 06:56:18 PM »
..with Focusrite VRM Box to check virtual mix compatibility..

Can you tell me more about this device?
How well it works, how you use it, what you do and don't like about it, etc.

More here >> http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=144941.msg1865867#msg1865867

Basically I only use it to check mixes "virtually" thru modeling of different types of playback systems and rooms.  I wouldn't recommend it to replace traditional reference standard DAC's and powered near field monitors.
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2015, 09:38:02 PM »
Ha, forgot about that thread, thanks.

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 01:16:59 AM »
A few people have mentioned earbuds but seriously, why not IEMs? Sound isolation, small size and clarity if you get good ones.  Just make sure you try all the eartips to get the right fit.

Shure made some of the first IEMs and while the field is crowded now I have never been disappointed in the Shures. (Unlike Etymotics which to me are sterile.)

I am partial to the Shure SE line--I have the SE 535 for home listening, which are fantastic,  and SE 315 for portable, which make planes and trains a lot more fun.  I'd guess the SE215 are good enough to tell you what you need while you're recording.

But other IEMs are also probably good in the field, and lots of companies make them now. Decide on your budget and Google around to places like head-fi.org.

http://www.head-fi.org/f/103/portable-headphones-earphones-and-in-ear-monitors

Offline voltronic

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 07:28:41 AM »
I have bought from here before - really great resource just to do research:
http://www.headphone.com/

+1 on the IEM recommendation.  The dealer I linked has a lot to choose from in that category.  I have a relatively inexpensive set of Etymotics, and the isolation is outstanding.  Been using them with live recording for years.  I used them for the first time on a long plane ride a couple weeks back, and I'll never fly without them again.  I don't agree that they're "sterile", but they do have un-hyped bass so that may take some getting used to.
http://www.headphone.com/collections/in-ear/products/etymotic-mc5
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2015, 09:18:49 AM »
I like and trust my old but gold Etymotic ER4S IEMs.  I do make my own foam plugs for them by leather-punching a hole through my preferred high-isolation foam earplugs, which makes all the difference with them for me- better fit, more solid bass response, maximal isolation.

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
The sonys have been and still are the field recording industry standard. They are also ridiculously popular in the studio. They are relatively flat, cheap, easy to drive and very revealing...  They don't isolate like an iem, but they do the job.  The AT's are more fun to listen to, but that's not the purpose of this discussion...  If you are not going to use a headpohne amp, you'll have a hard time driving any of these headphones at a loud concert with just the headphone output of your digital recorder...  These are more expensive than the aforementioned Sony's but they were designed specifically for the ohm of phones and mp3 players.  Your digital recorder will drive these loud!   Plus I think they sound as good as many of the audiophile headphones like the Beyer dt880 or the sennheisers....http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/cr/B00NBMHYGM/s=sd/ref=cm_cr_dp_aw_see_rcnt
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 10:26:44 AM »
Agreed with IEM rec (I think I posted about them earlier in the thread).  There really is no  reason not to use in ears IMO, especially when comparing to on or over ear headphones in a rock show environment. Waaaaay better isolation apwhich alows for lower listening levels and better, more accurate reproduction. I use Shures too and they're great

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
I use AKG K271 MK II

Very neutral sound.
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o | ca-14 c
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2015, 12:50:39 PM »
One potential deal-breaker is speed/ease of use.  Closed-back over-ear phones are easiest to quickly don or toss-off as necessary.   Putting in IEM's is less quick and easy.

For maximum isolation, nothing will exceed the isolation a pair of IEMs using expanding foam plugs plus a set of "noise muff" style hearing protectors over them (like the kind used by airport workers or at a shooting range).  Although it looks kind of funny.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.158 seconds with 64 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com