Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Line Audio cards & Omni's  (Read 2779 times)

Offline waltmon

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Line Audio cards & Omni's
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:38:46 PM »
Been doing a lot of research on these.  Hand made in Sweden. Supposedly very neutral sound minimal coloration.  Not sold in matched pairs but the manufacturer told me they have very tight quality control so stereo mic set ups should be no issue.  Just curious if anyone is running these.  Very nice price pint with the Swedish conversion as well.
KM140's, KM150's, U89's, Mixpre-10T II, 788T, F3

CA-14 > UBB > Tascam DR-2D

1 pound non-sequential $50.00 bills

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
Re: Line Audio cards & Omni's
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:37:24 PM »
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline mysticeyes

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 10:29:11 PM »
I bought a pair of CM-3's a year ago and having used them for eight or ten shows I think they are excellent mics. Accurate, realistic sounding but still with good response in the lower frequencies. One thing though - I thought they were cardioids but they sound like they're halfway to omnis, which suits me fine since I'm an omni guy myself. In ORTF and DIN these mics make a good stereo image; however, maybe more distance between them would have thrown a better soundstage. I think I would try 25cm to 30cm and 110 degrees, or 30cm and 90 degrees. One time, due to poor planning, I had to deploy them as a main pair in spaced omni formation, with about 8-10 feet between them. To my surprise, I was still able to get a decent stereo image, with a solid center, no hole in the middle. I must disclose that I almost always record on stage or just in front of the stage, loud guitars/bass/drums stuff in clubs, and your situation may differ.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 07:58:08 PM by mysticeyes »

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 06:15:37 AM »
I bought a pair of CM-3's a year ago and having used them for eight or ten shows I think they are excellent mics. Accurate, realistic sounding but still with good response in the lower frequencies. One thing though - I thought they were cardioids but they sound like they're halfway to omnis, which suits me fine since I'm an omni guy myself. In ORTF and DIN these mics make a good stereo image; however, maybe more distance between them would have thrown a better soundstage. I think I would try 25cm to 30cm and 110 degrees, or 30cm and 90 degrees. One time, due to poor planning, I had to deploy them like spaced omnis as a main pair with about 8-10 feet between them. To my surprise, I was still able to get a decent stereo image, with a solid center, no hole in the middle. I must disclose that I almost always record on stage or just in front of the stage, loud guitars/bass/drums stuff in clubs, and your situation may differ.
Despite what the manufacturer says, they are subcardiods, which you can see from the polar plots.  In terms of directionality, "halfway to omni" isn't that far off.  I've had excellent results with NOS spacing as have many others - 30cm, 90deg.  For a particularly distant placement once in a balcony I even went to 36cm which worked great for that particular concert.  I would only use DIN or ORTF with them for very close placement.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 10:24:12 AM »
I've had CM3s for a couple of years and understand them to be wide cards.  They have a smooth, pleasant sound.  I much prefer them to rode nt5s. 

CM3 has a small body, ideal for taping.  Come in small case with mount and windscreen.

SRSrecordings at shape ways.com has a NOS bar for them.  Grab a shure a53 shock mount, and you're set.

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2015, 01:00:48 AM »
Nice mics at a silly price and excellent value for money.

But the CM3 is really a wide-carioid pattern, rather than a cardioid, as can be clearly seen from the polar-pattern.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com