Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Turntable advice.  (Read 7620 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Turntable advice.
« on: June 05, 2015, 09:45:06 AM »
Thinking of buying a new turntable. Haven't owned one since 1984. It was Dual with an Ortofon cartridge. I have no idea were it is now. Last time I saw was in my parents basement about 15 years ago. :P My integrated amp does not have a phono pre. Would like to stay around $300. My daughter will be using it more than me. So far I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002S1CJ2Q&ascsubtag=WC21239

Thanks!

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Turntable advice.
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 10:11:52 AM »
I'm an old vintage guy. But I have seen where people are happy with that deck.
There is a lot of info at www.audiokarma.org (near endless debate).

You should seriously look into U-Turn Audio.  http://uturnaudio.com
They're an in-house built deck, here stateside.  The decks come in under your budget.  They also have a new outboard preamp.  As a combo, it will hover at or slightly above your budget; but entirely worth it.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 10:14:14 AM by m0k3 »

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 10:33:22 AM »
Thinking of buying a new turntable. Haven't owned one since 1984. It was Dual with an Ortofon cartridge. I have no idea were it is now. Last time I saw was in my parents basement about 15 years ago. :P

Oh yeah. I've been meaning to thank you for that. I'm pretty sure I bought it at your folks' yard sale for $5.
Nice table!  :P

mfrench

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:42:41 AM »
Did you pickup my 60's baseball card collection for .50ยข as well?

Offline ts

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 01:31:41 PM »
Thinking of buying a new turntable. Haven't owned one since 1984. It was Dual with an Ortofon cartridge. I have no idea were it is now. Last time I saw was in my parents basement about 15 years ago. :P

Oh yeah. I've been meaning to thank you for that. I'm pretty sure I bought it at your folks' yard sale for $5.
Nice table!  :P

I'm pretty sure this is the one I had:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-CS-522-Belt-Drive-Turntable-W-Ortofon-Cartridge-Stylis-Nice-/301651972290?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item463bdbd0c2

It might still be in their basement. I last used it around 1987. I guess I'll be going over there tonight. :P

Offline ts

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 01:36:30 PM »
I'm an old vintage guy. But I have seen where people are happy with that deck.
There is a lot of info at www.audiokarma.org (near endless debate).

You should seriously look into U-Turn Audio.  http://uturnaudio.com
They're an in-house built deck, here stateside.  The decks come in under your budget.  They also have a new outboard preamp.  As a combo, it will hover at or slightly above your budget; but entirely worth it.

Thanks Mike. That was on the review page I found.

Also this one: http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-13086-Debut-Carbon-Black/dp/B007XTE6YW?SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B007XTE6YW&ascsubtag=WC21239

Over budget, plus the phono pre.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »
if you are going to go over budget, it is hard to beat the rega rp-1.  I bought one as a gift for a friend who officiated my wedding and he has subsequently bought several hundred records in the past 2 months as it sounds so good....

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 03:38:26 PM »
if you are going to go over budget, it is hard to beat the rega rp-1.  I bought one as a gift for a friend who officiated my wedding and he has subsequently bought several hundred records in the past 2 months as it sounds so good....

Malarkey???  That's hilarious... 

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 04:58:14 PM »

Malarkey???  That's hilarious... 

Terry

yes...he needs an intervention.

mfrench

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2015, 06:17:41 PM »
Intervention?

From about 6 weeks ago:
I finally got half of them into the house (the LP's and gatefolds).  That amounted to about 1200.  The other 1200 or so are out in the garage, waiting to be sorted.

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2015, 06:25:46 PM »
Thinking of buying a new turntable. Haven't owned one since 1984. It was Dual with an Ortofon cartridge. I have no idea were it is now. Last time I saw was in my parents basement about 15 years ago. :P My integrated amp does not have a phono pre. Would like to stay around $300. My daughter will be using it more than me. So far I found this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT-LP120-USB-Direct-Drive-Professional-Turntable/dp/B002S1CJ2Q?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAJM4NKIQGABP2PIRA&tag=thewire06-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B002S1CJ2Q&ascsubtag=WC21239

Thanks!

Glad to see you and your daughter will be spinning vinyl!

I'd say try to get a vintage Thorens TD-160 / TD-160 MKII.
You can't go wrong on those and they are not that expensive. In Europe they are a bit cheaper than in the States.

TD125 MKII would be better, but will cost you more.

If you don't like vintage and prefer to buy new I'd recommend a pro-ject.
http://www.project-audio.com/

Good luck! 

mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline ts

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2015, 08:51:12 AM »
So far I'm liking my new TT. Got the AT LP120. Only regret is that all of the after market tonearm lifters will not work with this deck. No space at all between the platter and the tonearm base. Guess I can't fall asleep while spinning. :P

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2015, 01:56:28 PM »
So far I'm liking my new TT. Got the AT LP120. Only regret is that all of the after market tonearm lifters will not work with this deck. No space at all between the platter and the tonearm base. Guess I can't fall asleep while spinning. :P

Not a bad choice. But it's very plastic and like you said, you can't tweak it much.

It's never too late for a vintage Thorens td-160 ;)
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline ts

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 02:40:52 PM »

Not a bad choice. But it's very plastic and like you said, you can't tweak it much.

It's never too late for a vintage Thorens td-160 ;)

I view this as my "getting back into vinyl" deck. If I decide its something I want to dive into I may upgrade at some point, but for now this is fine. Just wish there was an auto lift for end of play for those times when the bourbon kicks in before the record ends. :P
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 02:47:58 PM by ts »

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 05:28:49 PM »
Funny all of you mention a lifter. I just bought a Q-Up and installed it today on my VPI Traveler. I fell asleep hardcore on the couch a couple weeks ago and woke up with my needle spinning on the lead-out groove for like three hours. Hopefully this will solve that problem.

Trying it out right now and seems to be working well, but I'll be damned if this isn't the cheapest piece of crap for which I have paid $60 in my life. More like $5, and even that's generous.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com