Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Non-working old Amp recommendation  (Read 3983 times)

Offline taosmay

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Non-working old Amp recommendation
« on: June 14, 2015, 05:36:30 AM »
I have a Kenwood KA-8100 stereo integrated amplifier that is not working. Been sitting unused for who knows how many years. Think I bought it used in early '80's, and did use it for awhile. I do not see any listing for it at audiogon's audio bluebook. IMHO, it is a pretty to look at amp: silver front, big knob's and switches. Freakin' heavy. If someone (Clifton Audio?) could repair it, I doubt it would be worth the price. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Trash it? Make a museum shelf and display it along with my Sony D5M, D100 DAT, D3 DAT, SBM-1 (j/k, no room for that) ?
Beyerdynamic MC930's > GAKables > OCM Marantz PMD661
CA 14 cardioid mic's/CA 11 croakie mic's > CA-9200 > Edirol R-09HR

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Non-working old Amp recommendation
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 09:43:47 AM »
open it up, and have a look around for old leaking capacitors.  they show up, quite often, as wet spots around the bad ones.  if you can find obvious ones, they are not hard to pull and replace.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 10:53:30 AM »
Someone gave me an ancient B&L ST-140 that didn't work...  I pulled the top, replaced (2) $0.29 fuses and thing works great to this day...

Maybe you'll have the same luck???

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »
I have a Kenwood KA-8100 stereo integrated amplifier that is not working. Been sitting unused for who knows how many years. Think I bought it used in early '80's, and did use it for awhile. I do not see any listing for it at audiogon's audio bluebook. IMHO, it is a pretty to look at amp: silver front, big knob's and switches. Freakin' heavy. If someone (Clifton Audio?) could repair it, I doubt it would be worth the price. Any suggestions on what to do with it? Trash it? Make a museum shelf and display it along with my Sony D5M, D100 DAT, D3 DAT, SBM-1 (j/k, no room for that) ?

Repair it...  You would be surprised how good it will sound compared to new equipment of today.  Older gear generally has a much warmer tone compared to todays electronics.  You just might find yourself using more and more.

Check the current ebay listings...  you might be surprised what you will find.

Peace OOK
« Last Edit: June 14, 2015, 11:36:06 AM by OOK »
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions. I pulled the top. All 4 fuses are intact. I did a google search for capacitor images, to find out what they look like... one has leaked/looks wet at the bottom. I cannot get it out though. I can wiggle it and rotate it a little, but it will not pull up and out. Don't want to damage the board underneath of course/not sure how much more, if any pressure to apply... It should be pulled straight up to get it out, right? From what I can tell it appears to be the only one that has leaked.

I searched for it on ebay. Was kinda surprised it was going for between $175 - $325. The high price point seller only says it powers on, no furthur testing done... yeah, mine powers on too, but when I put a load on it, nothing. His is here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KENWOOD-KA-8100-STEREO-INTEGRATED-AMPLIFIER-/281708003328?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41971b0000

From his interior pic's, on mine it is the orange colored capacitor near center/lower that has leaked.

"Repair it...  You would be surprised how good it will sound compared to new equipment of today.  Older gear generally has a much warmer tone compared to todays electronics.  You just might find yourself using more and more.

Check the current ebay listings...  you might be surprised what you will find.

Peace OOK"

I kind of doubt it is as good or better than my current units, which I bought new in the late 90's - a McCormack DNA 0.5 Deluxe Ed Power Amp, and a McCormack Micro Line Drive. I do have a friend who needs a amp though, which is why I am attempting to get this one going.

Anyway, should I just keep trying to pull that leaked Capacitor up and out?

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 05:21:54 PM »

It shoudl be soldered into place...  Don't pull it out w/o desoldering first...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 08:01:01 PM »

It shoudl be soldered into place...  Don't pull it out w/o desoldering first...

Terry

Shit...Didn't know it was soldered in place. It's loose all around the base now...I have never soldered or de-soldered anything. How does one de-solder a capacitor?

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 11:35:05 PM »
yeah, wow, sorry for the brevity in description.  I literally meant to look around, but not to "pull".  I blabber quite a bit on a forum where people know what they're doing. And, the brevity came from terminology that is understood there, and so typically in use, that it came out here.
Be careful around them. They can hold charge and shock the crap out of you, even when unplugged.  In something like a tube amp, that might be 400 volts DC, that might just explode your heart.

Offline taosmay

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 10:23:48 PM »
So I guess it is at least possible that I damaged this Amp? Time to take it to, or ship it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Offline bryonsos

• Omni addict
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If it's important, tell me to write it down.
    • LMA uploads
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 05:53:44 AM »
So I guess it is at least possible that I damaged this Amp? Time to take it to, or ship it to someone who knows what they are doing?

Take it to Tube Dreams in Taos. I know a guy who speaks well of them after they brought his old McIntosh back from the dead.
Mics: 3 Zigma Chi HA-FX (COL-251, c, h, o-d, o-f) / Avenson STO-2 / Countryman B3s
Pres: CA-Ugly / Naiant Tinyhead / SD MixPre
Decks: Roland R-44 / Sony PCM-M10
GAKables
Dead Muppets

My recordings LMA / BT / TTD

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com