Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Comparing Vintage Power Amplifiers  (Read 4940 times)

df

• Trade Count: (0)
Comparing Vintage Power Amplifiers
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:38:22 PM »
I'm looking at Power Amps on craigslist and here are a few that I've noted:

Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 ($1,000)  200 watts/rca input
Classe' 70 ($700)  75 watts/XLR balanced input
Sansui BA-2000 ($650) 100 watts/rca input
Mark Levinson ML-9 ($900) 100 watts

anyone have some input on these, or rec's for other amps?  New gear? Integrated receiver's like Arcam or Rotel?  Thanks.  The Onkyo supposedly is 'mint' condition.  My Def Tech speakers are 200 watts.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 12:31:47 AM by df »

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
Re: Comparing Vintage Power Amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:35 AM »
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 01:34:09 AM by twatts (Where Are My Pants?) »
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

df

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 01:45:53 AM »
the Levinson ML9 for $900 or a refurbished/new Arcam AVR400 for $1000? ($2500 retail)

is the boutique power amp really all that for two channel playback?  or go for the all-in-one Arcam... bridge between consumer and boutique models?  two channel playback is really the most important, but the all-in-one features will be used.

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »
the Levinson ML9 for $900 or a refurbished/new Arcam AVR400 for $1000? ($2500 retail)

is the boutique power amp really all that for two channel playback?  or go for the all-in-one Arcam... bridge between consumer and boutique models?  two channel playback is really the most important, but the all-in-one features will be used.

You're asking the same questions we all ask here about taping gear:  Aerco vs. Grace vs. SD preamps...  Schoeps vs. Neumann...  2 channel vs multi-mic vs. SBD matrix... 

It will all depend on your budget and your needs, and of course your ears...  Can you take out a second mortgage???

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

df

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 08:41:45 AM »

You're asking the same questions we all ask here about taping gear:  Aerco vs. Grace vs. SD preamps...  Schoeps vs. Neumann...  2 channel vs multi-mic vs. SBD matrix... 

It will all depend on your budget and your needs, and of course your ears...  Can you take out a second mortgage???

Terry

I know... but you can't exactly go on archive.org and research examples... youtube videos of people filming their playback rig's isn't quite efficient.  So I have to ask...

the guy still has the Levinson... and I have a new entry level Pioneer Elite receiver which is good enough for me for TV/Blu Ray with modern features 3D pass through et al.  I paid $150 for an open box at Magnolia.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 08:49:38 AM by df »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 01:03:42 PM »
can you give more specs on your speakers? what's the sensitivity? impedance?

df

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 02:01:58 PM »

Definitive Technology BP7006's (towers with built in sub's)
8 ohm
200 watts max

Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 is for sale.
Mark Levinson ML9 is for sale.
(talked to both owners)

And as for big box stores:
I've also narrowed it down to a new/refurbished Arcam AVR400 for integrated receivers and possibly Marantz 7005 (or close).  $1000 for the $2500 Arcam sounds good.  The Marantz options would save $2-300.

There are also some cheaper B&K ST2140 amps for sale locally.  A McIntosh amp sold recently for under $1,000, didn't last long.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2015, 02:07:41 PM by df »

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 04:20:04 PM »

Definitive Technology BP7006's (towers with built in sub's)
8 ohm
200 watts max

Onkyo Grand Integra M-508 is for sale.
Mark Levinson ML9 is for sale.
(talked to both owners)

And as for big box stores:
I've also narrowed it down to a new/refurbished Arcam AVR400 for integrated receivers and possibly Marantz 7005 (or close).  $1000 for the $2500 Arcam sounds good.  The Marantz options would save $2-300.

There are also some cheaper B&K ST2140 amps for sale locally.  A McIntosh amp sold recently for under $1,000, didn't last long.

googling those speakers, I see one spec sheet that says 92 dB sensitivity. That means you only need 64 watts to hit 110db, which is really loud. so if you're looking based on power, you don't really need more than 64 watts

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:08:37 PM »
Classe amps provide a lot of current. However,  at $700 the 70 is way over priced. They generally go for around 400. You could get a CA 101 for around 700. Or, even a CA 100 for around 500. Both would drive your speaker with no problem and sound fantastic.

df

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 11:55:15 PM »
Thanks for all the comments.  I ended up ordering the Arcam AVR400.  $1,000 was too good on a $2,500 receiver.  Since it's new it will be reliable and good for years.

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 01:40:40 AM »
Thanks for all the comments.  I ended up ordering the Arcam AVR400.  $1,000 was too good on a $2,500 receiver.  Since it's new it will be reliable and good for years.

Not to *jinx* you...  but I thought the same thing when I bought a nice Denon unit...  it blew up in a lightning storm about 2 years into its life...  I still cry... 

Afterwards I picked up a "oneac" hospital grade surge-protect/conditioner to help in the future...  It was cheap at a yard-sale that an old stereo guy had in my neighborhood...  He was one of the guys behind this:  http://www.raleighaudio.com/   

I use it now to protect my TV...  So far so good (knock on wood)...

Good luck with your new toy! 

Terry

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com