Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: PSB Gold i  (Read 2644 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
PSB Gold i
« on: June 30, 2015, 09:25:28 PM »
I was able to pick up a pair of these and have been playing with them for a few days. I've been running them in my main system, which consist of Audible Illusions M3A, Rogue 120's, Benchmark HDR and other stuff. I've not run them full range yet but rather have them rolled off with two MK 150 subs. I'm waiting for the Crown to come in before I run them full range since they dip down to 2 ohms in the LF and might be too challenging for the Rogues. I sure wish I kept my Classe' 150. I'm sure they would of had them in an iron fist.

Anyway, so far I'm enjoying them. Although I liked the final modded version of the Klipsch Heresy I worked on, ultimately they were too colored for me and long listening sessions were out of the questions, as well as loud volumes. These speaker, on the other hand, are much easier on ear and don't change much when pushed to louder volumes.

Anyway, I won't get into it too much until I really give them a work out, but suffice it to say........I'm enjoying the ride!!!!!!! Quickly referencing them to my tricked out Maggie 3A's gives the initial nod to the Maggies but these are certainly nice sounding........just how nice only time will tell.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: PSB Gold i
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:36 PM »
Okay, so it didn't take me long to give them a try full range, albeit, at low volume. I can't give too much of a report other than to say that the 10" woofers do go down there.....but again, with an over all impedance curve that dips to 2 ohms in the LF my amp might very well be acting as an EQ. Anyway, the kids are settling down for bed so there is no way I can turn it past "just above a whisper" and I don't want to risk straining my amps but it is good to hear what these sound like full range. At low volume they are nicely balanced.

One thing I have never been a big fan of is metal tweets and these have them. I won't cast too much judgement on them until further listening. BTW, the cabinets on them are nicely finished in dark Cherry, as well as, they are bit of a bear to move around weighing in at 90lbs each. I haven't spike them yet and will hold off until I find the sweet spot.

Anyone who has had any experience with these, your comments are welcomed.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 08:57:10 PM »
I'm was kicking out the jams today and using Steely Dan's, "everything must go" as a test recording. These things sound fantastic.....with the subs. I'm still not willing to run them full range at loud volumes with my Rogues.

However, Patricia Barber, "cafe blues" is sounding very tasty and Listening to them at moderate levels full range, and with the Rogues, is delightful. One thing I figured out is that these require little to no toe in. Pointing them at you makes them a bit too bright. So, shoot them more or less straight a head and they provide a more balanced sound.

So far, nice, very nice!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 12:14:01 AM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 04:15:21 PM »
If you have been following the Crown playback posting you will know that I am running these speakers with the Crown amp. They do sound much better with the Rogues, which tells me how revealing the speakers can be to components up the chain. I'm not going to give a final verdict on how good they are but will say that these are full range speakers and really do not require any subs. For the price that these go for used, around $750-900, it would be a safe purchase, if in good condition. They are big and sort of heavy but the foot print is no more than a monitor on stands, so you actually get more for less. Also, taking the grills off seems to open up the sound and extends the ability to hear more air in the top end. This is certainly the way to go for serious listening sessions.

I'll take a few pictures, give a bit more of a listen and report back in a week or so.

BTW, did I say

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2015, 01:51:29 PM »
Still listening to these with the Crown 1500. I've found that although they do go low, my subs improve upon bass extension, while also creating a wider soundstage. Yes, the low end is deep and yes, you may not be wanting for more, however, subs do enhance their sonic presentation and add to the musical fireworks when demands are made of it. Also, they do sound best with the grills removed, which opens up the soundstage a bit more, as well as give you a clearer sonic picture.

They do not throw as big a soundstage as my Magnepans, but what speakers do? By setting them up in an equilateral triangle like position and slightly toeing them in the soundstage snaps into place and affords you a front of the hall like presentation. Of course, this is where I like to sit and where I think it sounds best. Although, it still seems like the picture is a bit low, like I'm almost standing slightly above the band. I am going to make some granite platforms for them, where by raising them up 2-3" inches might help with raising the band.

Since receiving these speakers they have been the only things I have been listening to. My Maggies have remained silent but that doesn't mean they are better, clearly, to me, they are not. But, at this moment, they are fun and great to listen to. I have not tired of their sound and I am striving to maximize their potential before calling it a day. In the future I'm going to A/B them with the Crown 1500 and Rogue M120, as well as tweak the hell out of them. At which point I will then know how good they are. But, until then, these are proven to be a great grab for me and a truck load of enjoyment. 

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 03:31:28 PM »
Now I'm pushing these to their max. I've moved the Maggies out of the way and have set them up properly. I am bi-amping them, with the Rogue M120's running the mids and tweeters, while the Crown XLS1500 is handling the woofer and the 80-250 region. 80 and below are taken care of by my pair of M&K 150 subs.

I've only just begun to dial everything in but it sounds promising. I'm even think about ending my 30 year relationship with Maggies. Tempting but I'll give it time.
As a side note, if I do they will be posted here first. They are heavily modded, with new ribbons, caps, wire and I recently re-did the panels this past winter. They also have sound anchor stands. I'll probably ask around $1300.00 for them.

Anyway, I'm cranking out Dire Straits BIA and it is coming across pretty powerful. More to come later on.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 11:26:23 AM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 10:58:57 PM »
I switched the Rogues from ultra linear  to triod to hear what, if any difference it would make. I have only been able to listen at low levels but it sounded pretty good. Better? I don't know but good none the less. The detail these amps provide in the high end it unusual for a tube amp, which can normally be more organic and slightly rolled off. Not these amps, they seem to extend fairly high with very good detail.

Anyway, I am having a real difficult time deciding which speaker should go, my long term and tweaked out reference, Magnepan MG 3A or the PSB Gold I, The Maggies no doubt throw a bigger sound stage and the ribbon tweeter is to die for. The Gold I is a more dynamic speaker, at medium and low volumes, has tighter and better defined bass (when used with my subs) and gives a more up front presentation. The Maggies are more organic and can really draw you into the music. 

In the past when I brought other speakers into the home it was always a no brainer, the Maggies would stay while the visiting speaker would only be around for an extended play date. Now I'm being tossed between the bull horns. It really is a tough choice.

I guess I will keep listening to the PSB's for a while longer and then throw the Maggies back in for the final verdict.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.057 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com