Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone Recommendations  (Read 8797 times)

Offline setboy

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
Headphone Recommendations
« on: July 23, 2015, 12:42:02 PM »
I am moving to go to graduate school and will be living somewhere I can't play loud music for the first time in my life. I need some headphones. I do not like inear phones but will consider anyone's recommendations for some good ones.

My budget is $150 max ( I'm going to grad school so I'm already poor). This will be used mainly with a macbook. Someday I hope to upgrade to a nicer system of preamps and such but not now.

Thanks!

Offline earmonger

• Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
Re: Headphone Recommendations
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 01:31:45 AM »
Seconded on Shure--get the SE315 if you can squeeze up to that price.  Each Shure upgrade is worth it but unfortunately the price skyrockets.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/758633-REG/Shure_SE315_K_SE315_Sound_Isolating_In_Ear_Stereo.html

Older Shure in-ears were hard-wired to the cable and the cables eventually rotted out.  I miss some of those. The SE series have earpieces that snap on to the cable ends, so all you'll be replacing is the cable--which is to say, you will use them for a good long time, so invest in the best starting ones you can.

For IEMs, everything depends on the fit. With the Shures, you need to hook them up and over the top of your ear; don't just push them in like earbuds.

And try every tip in the package, tedious as it is. Most will sound like total tinny awfulness. But the right one will be superb.

Be careful using IEMs on the street. You may not hear car horns. Look in both directions before crossing the street.

For  a good knockaround pair of phones that can also control your smartphone, the ultra cheap Chinese  Xiaomi Piston III for $18 are pretty cool.  They don't have the spaciousness of the Shure but they do their best. They are often counterfeited so get them from a reputable place like geekbuying. They also have multiple tips so make sure you try them. And when they arrive the package doesn't say Xiaomi, just M1. Go figure.

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/New-Original-Xiaomi-Smartphone-Piston-II-In-Ear-Earphones-Wire-Control-Mic-for-iPhone-iPod-Android---Black-343327.html

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:19:41 AM »

I also enjoy my ATH-M50 headphones.  They're reliable, fairly neutral sounding and great value at that price point.  I highly recommend that if you buy them new, burn them in.  Lots of people feel this is unnecessary.  I did too, but my headphones sounded thin and tinny new and I really didn't like them at all, but they got alot better and warmer after they'd been played for awhile. 

Other than these, I've used Beyer Dynamic DT990 and they are really nice sounding, but the 'pro' version is out now and it's beyond your price range.  You can find the DT990 used for 120-150, which is a good price.  It's a very bass heavy headphone, so if you're into neutral sounding headphones, there's the DT770 or DT880 models.  These all have a very robust cable, so I wouldn't have a problem buying these used (the only in-ears I'd ever buy used would be models with a replaceable cable...since the cables on in-ears never last very long.)

Speaking of buying used, if I was you I'd consider doing so.  Alot of people, especially the head-fi crowd, go through headphones like water.  You can get a nice discount if you don't mind opening something that's brand new.  I like buying headphones used anyway since they've already been burned in. 

Finally, if you're just not sure what you want, check out a couple of sites.  www.headphone.com has some top ten lists that is really quite good.  Even though headphone.com sells headphones, it seems like their top ten lists aren't biased, say to a particular manufacturer.  The other site to check out is www.head-fi.org, but that site will make your head spin.  There are a jillion members and a TON of activity.  However, the place to focus is the used gear section, where people are turning over their stuff.  Like I said above, these guys are FAN-AT-ITCAL to the f***ing extreme.  (In fact, I've found in my dealings that they're mostly a pain in the ass to deal with, their so f***ing anal, but I hate generalizing about groups.)  But the up side of the fanaticism is that their used department has good gear, kept in spotless condition, at used prices.

Hope this helps.

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • it's recreational
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 08:33:54 AM »
Another vote for ATH-M50.  Was running Grados but picked up the ATs and am very happy with them.  Better bass and more comfortable than the Grados.  Looks like the new ATH-M50x model has a removable cable now which could come in handy.

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 09:08:30 AM »
Another vote for ATH-M50. 

I've thought about upgrading to these many times...  But I've been happy with my Sennheisers:  http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240764-REG/Sennheiser_HD_280PRO_HD_280_Pro.html

I've paired them with a used Audioengine D1... 

Its perfect for my use - late night listening while the wife/kids sleep...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 02:50:28 PM »
If you can swing an extra 50 buy a pair of hifiman 400's. You can pick up a reconditioned pair for around 200. The AT m50 are a good value, as well as THINK SOUND MS1.

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2015, 02:24:37 PM »
If you can swing an extra 50 buy a pair of hifiman 400's. You can pick up a reconditioned pair for around 200. The AT m50 are a good value, as well as THINK SOUND MS1.

Note that the HE-400 are open back so you'll still need to find a quiet room away from the fam if you want to crank it late at night without getting yelled at.  If sound isolation is a high priority, prob need to stick with the closed back design.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2015, 06:14:04 PM »
^ If open isn't an issue, try the Sennheiser HD558.  They are cheap (~ $110), comfortable, and generally get very positive reviews.  I was looking for a high-end pair, and a friend said, "Try the 558s as an economical option until you find your dream cans.  In fact, I have two and I'll sell you one for $75 new in box."  That was a hard offer to resist, of course.  Over a year ago and I am still using them.  Always searching for that perfect set, but the 558s are quite good and there's no sense of urgency on my part...

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 06:42:12 PM »
AKG K271 MKII

Got some new pads as well. Nice quality leather and believe it or not, improves the already great sound of the AKG's. https://mrspeakers.com/shop/3-accessories/leather-dog-pads-pair-for-any-mad-dog-with-dog-pads-or-t50rp-applications/
Very neutral sound. If you don't like too much bass, wich some headphones can have, these are perfect.

If you want more bass, I would recommend Beyerdynamic dt-770 pro.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 04:20:08 AM by robeti »
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline dabbler

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 12:34:43 AM »
Perhaps you can get a used pair of Sennheiser HD 580, 600 or 650 within your price range.  They're not suitable for libraries or sleeping roommates, but they remain highly-regarded headphones after over two decades of existence.

Parts (including drivers) are interchangeable between them and Sennheiser is likely to continue stocking parts for years to come (you'll need to call to order things that aren't on their site).

The HD 280 has been around for ages and is a safe bet if you really need something closed, but I find the open 600/650 sound significantly better.  Closed headphones get uncomfortable for me due to heat build up, sound worse under ideal conditions because of internal reflections, but can achieve strong bass more easily.

The Etymotic ER4S IEMs are great for long plane/bus/train rides or monitoring a live show, but wouldn't be my first choice outside of noisy environments.  The highish impedance works well with the headphone-out on the Sony M10

The AKG K240 and Beyerdynamic DT 880 are probably a safe bets from a longetivity standpoint, too, but I haven't heard them.

You should be able to get by without an amp for all of these if you don't listen too loudly.

Offline vwmule

• Trade Count: (16)
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2015, 01:34:20 PM »
 ATH-M50 are great but they begin to "hurt" your ears faster than I'd like.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2015, 03:21:49 PM »
ATH-M50 are great but they begin to "hurt" your ears faster than I'd like.

I'm considering these as my old Sony MDR-7506 are pretty long in the tooth and I'm interested in a change.  Do they "hurt" because of they have fatiguing sonic characteristics to your ears?  Or do they physically hurt due to the physical design and fit on / over the ears?  Obviously I'll have to test them myself, but am curious about your experience.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2015, 02:33:09 PM »
Senn 280 are too colored and cloudy sounding. They are fine for monitoring in the field and in noisy environments but they are not going to give you and honest picture of what you have. Neither is the AKG 280...they need a powerful amp to make them boogie and even then they are extremely bass shy and not a very good example of what is good today. Their 270 and 271 are much, much better but too need a good amp.

The best bet is AT M50 and Thinksound MS1 for isolation and useful sound. The AT will be more hyped and aggressive, with seemingly more detail and the Thinksound MS1 will be better balance with closer timbre accuracy but slightly rolled off in the extreme high end.

If you can get away with open cans then Hifiman 400's are the giant killers! Sen 600 and 650 are also very good and worth seeking, too.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2015, 03:29:27 PM »
I love my Sennheiser HD380 Pro.  Best sealed cans I've used, and the full bass extension helps me diagnose all kinds of LF problems in recordings that I can RX out later.

The stock coiled cable is very heavy though, which is why I replaced it with this one.  Now the whole package is ultra-lightweight.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.116 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com