Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DSLR Pointers?  (Read 11396 times)

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
DSLR Pointers?
« on: September 14, 2015, 10:59:43 AM »
Looking to buy the GF a DSLR for Christmas. She took photography in college but still has a Film SLR camera.
I know very little about cameras. Can someone recommend some good ones?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: DSLR Pointers?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 11:10:18 AM »
We will probably need a budget otherwise I'd suggest something like a Canon 5D Mk III ($2500 w/o lens).

IMO mirrorless should also be an option. I just picked up a Sony a6000 and like it better than my Canon DSLR.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 11:16:11 AM »
We will probably need a budget otherwise I'd suggest something like a Canon 5D Mk III ($2500 w/o lens).

IMO mirrorless should also be an option. I just picked up a Sony a6000 and like it better than my Canon DSLR.

I was thinking ~$400-~$500

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 11:46:45 AM »
For that price range I'd consider mirrorless. You'll get a much better sensor. She can still have manual control of the camera settings with most of them.

If you can get up to $600 the Sony a6000 with the 16-50 kit lens gets great reviews. I just took mine on a 2 week trip in northern Michigan and Ontario and it was fantastic for travelling and took amazing photos.

The Sony a5000 is $500, but I don't know as much about it. From what I can see it looks like controlling both the aperture and speed at the same time might be more difficult.

If you really want to go for the full DSLR then I would suspect anything from Canon, Nikon or Sony would be about the same, but maybe someone else can chime in on $500 DSLR's.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 12:42:34 PM »
Thanks, I will look into those.
I just don't want to go too crazy on it.
She says she "would do it more if she had digital".
Not sure if the statement means the same as one of us saying "i'd tape more if I had better gear"

;   )

Offline yousef

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 02:26:11 PM »
We bought a Sony Alpha series camera ahead of our first daughter's birth in 2009 to replace a well-worn Olympus OM-10 that I'd nabbed from my dad.

We loved it, picked up various extra lenses and even an extra body but found that as our knowledge and technique improved, the camera itself showed up its limitations. We've now (in the last month) gone for a Canon 6D - which I think is the cheapest full-frame body that Canon does - we managed to pick it up for about UK£750 secondhand, body only.

Everything (lenses, flash, accessories) is more expensive but the step up in quality is astounding. If I could go back in time, I'd buy a full-size sensor camera right from day one. But if you're just dipping your toes in the water, those Sonys are great value, flexible - and easy to use too. Although one issue we hit was that very, very few places hire out lenses for them so you might struggle to check out new glass. If you're willing to go secondhand, I bet you could get an A200 and a couple of lenses and be well within budget.

btw I'm not sure if the taping analogy holds here. When I had only film cameras, a 36-exposure roll could last me a month or more. Nowadays, I'll easily hit 200 snaps a day - at least half of which are duff/testing settings/indistinguishable from the shots either side but the number of great shots we get has gone up dramatically since the days of film.
music>other stuff>ears
my recordings: http://db.etree.org/yousef
http://www.manchestertaper.co.uk
twitter: @manchestertaper

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »
We bought a Sony Alpha series camera ahead of our first daughter's birth in 2009 to replace a well-worn Olympus OM-10 that I'd nabbed from my dad.

We loved it, picked up various extra lenses and even an extra body but found that as our knowledge and technique improved, the camera itself showed up its limitations. We've now (in the last month) gone for a Canon 6D - which I think is the cheapest full-frame body that Canon does - we managed to pick it up for about UK£750 secondhand, body only.

Everything (lenses, flash, accessories) is more expensive but the step up in quality is astounding. If I could go back in time, I'd buy a full-size sensor camera right from day one. But if you're just dipping your toes in the water, those Sonys are great value, flexible - and easy to use too. Although one issue we hit was that very, very few places hire out lenses for them so you might struggle to check out new glass. If you're willing to go secondhand, I bet you could get an A200 and a couple of lenses and be well within budget.

btw I'm not sure if the taping analogy holds here. When I had only film cameras, a 36-exposure roll could last me a month or more. Nowadays, I'll easily hit 200 snaps a day - at least half of which are duff/testing settings/indistinguishable from the shots either side but the number of great shots we get has gone up dramatically since the days of film.

Thanks!

I will look into those as well.

The analogy was supposed to express the fact that frequency that I tape seems to increase along with buying new gear.
It just opens up possibilities.

Offline Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2015, 05:06:22 PM »
If she wants something small and lightweight with great picture quality that is still a dslr check out the canon sl1.
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: (3) Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: (2) Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2015, 12:23:49 AM »
I think Pentax offers some of the best value for money in DSLRs.  Whether or not it's a good fit for her depends in part on what and how she shoots.  But I've been happy with my various Pentax bodies and lenses for years.

The TS of the Pentax world:  http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
In the $400-500 range Nikon D5200 is the current deal zone deal at B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/dealZone.jsp

AKG SE300B CK91
JB Mod NAK 300 CP1 - CP2

Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL, Marantz PMD-706
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7K

↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline allan

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
    • enclave media
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2015, 09:59:41 AM »
What film camera/lenses does she have? She might be able to use her lenses on a DSLR body.

Offline StarkRavingCalm

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »
I am not sure, trying to ask with arousing suspicion.

;  )

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2015, 12:43:04 AM »

Up until a couple of years ago, I had only ever owned a point-and-shoot.  The last couple of point-and-shoot cameras I had were decent cameras considering they were of the point-and-shoot variety.  On a trip to visit our son's family (and three grand kids), I was at a store and right on the spot, I talked my wife into letting me buy a Canon 60D for around $1K USD (came with a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS zoom lens).  I had been thinking about a DSLR for a while and knew that was a decent price.  That was one of the best purchases I've ever made.  Instead of taking 100 pictures with the point-and-shoot and ending up with a couple of real nice pics - now when I take 100 pics with the 60D, and at least 1/3 of them are keepers.

Not to be demeaning ... but I chuckle whenever I hear people talk about how great the pictures are they get with their iPhone or Droid.  I can only think ... they obviously haven't ever taken pictures with a DSLR (not even an entry-level one like a 60D).  The difference is like night and day.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2015, 05:57:10 PM »
Thanks, I will look into those.
I just don't want to go too crazy on it.
She says she "would do it more if she had digital".
Not sure if the statement means the same as one of us saying "i'd tape more if I had better gear"

;   )
Bet ya she actually takes more pics because their is no loss by taking digital compared to film and if nothing else people see more of her pics because the "conversion time" is less
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 02:00:23 PM »
What film camera/lenses does she have? She might be able to use her lenses on a DSLR body.

Allan is spot on.  I completely missed that she already has lenses.  I think the above is the best answer (even though I love Pentax):  buy the best model you can, in your budget, that is compatible with her current lenses.

Depending on the age of the lenses, not all systems will allow you to utilize those old lenses, or use them to their full functionality.  If the lenses aren't supported at all or to the degree desired, then it's open season on any brand because you'd essentially need to build the system from the ground up:  body + lenses.  But definitely start by looking for a DSLR body that supports her current lenses.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com