Gear / Technical Help > Cables

KCY 250/5 Ig w/ PFA?

(1/5) > >>

nolamule:
Making the leap to Schoeps and I am thinking of buying the KCY 250/5 Ig with a Naiant PFA.

Any reason not to go this route, other than price? I figure I can extended the cables with simple XLRs b/t the PFA and recorder if needed and this would limit the unbalanced section of the setup to just the  KCY. I really like the idea of the single cable setup with the KCY and have true Schoeps connectors at the caps.

Ultfris101:
it's a good choice and will work very well. I have this setup and the single cable is indeed very nice.

Do you think you would ever want to get a wider split with the mic capsules? If so another option is to get KC5 cables and chop them and terminate them in PFAs.

I have some KC5s but haven't chopped them. They're nice but keeping them from getting tangled is hard for me.

I tend to use CMC6 bodies most of the time now but the KCY is great and any time a small rig i can run in ORTF or DIN is called for it's the way to go.

dnsacks:
jon (Naiant) has mentioned in the past that using "chopped" kc5s terminated with mini-xlrs for this solution will keep the connection balanced throughout.  My kc5s are ziptied together at 12" intervals -- makes it easier to coil/maintain than without, but kc5s do take some patience to keep straight.  I also had darktrain attach mini-xlrs to the "chopped" kc5 ends that attach to mic bodies, allowing me to use the kc5s with pfas or with cmc bodies (darktrain also made me a minixlr>binder connector that lets me run the kc5s into my tinybox) -- fwiw . . .

it-goes-to-eleven:
I also prefer KC5's over the KCY. I replaced the Schoeps cable with 1/8" cable.

nolamule:

--- Quote from: Ultfris101 on February 04, 2016, 06:47:54 PM ---it's a good choice and will work very well. I have this setup and the single cable is indeed very nice.

Do you think you would ever want to get a wider split with the mic capsules? If so another option is to get KC5 cables and chop them and terminate them in PFAs.

I have some KC5s but haven't chopped them. They're nice but keeping them from getting tangled is hard for me.

I tend to use CMC6 bodies most of the time now but the KCY is great and any time a small rig i can run in ORTF or DIN is called for it's the way to go.

--- End quote ---

I am going to be primarily running MK41s at first and don't expect to run a wider split but a very good point.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version