Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 18762 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Member
Naiant IPA
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
Jon, could you explain the IPA and how it can power microphone capsules, and which microphone capsules?  Who builds the cables for say the Schoeps caps, or the AKG caps?  I know of the Schoeps KCY and Nbob's, but nothing else.  Maybe other's might be curious as I am.

I haven't seen this thing discussed much other in the retail forum. 

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
Mmmmm hoppy  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK5, Schoeps MK41, AT853u (C,SC,H)
Preamps/converter: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony M10

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (46)
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:31:14 PM »
That's because I haven't shipped any yet.  Later this week the first few will trickle out.

Basically it's the PFA circuit in a slightly larger case with space for an A23 battery and selectable gain.  So anything a PFA can do, an IPA can do as well.  The caveat being the power supply is limited to what an A23 battery can do (9V reliably), so higher-voltage systems such as Nbox or my AKGs can't be supported with internal battery (they could run on external power or phantom).  KCY, MBHO, PIP, 3-wire, anything else that is <9V FET supply can be supported with internal battery.

The PFA polarization circuit can be added, so the polarization voltage can be 40V-60V.

And sorry, it's Inline Powered Amplifier :(

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Since you say it's basically the PFA circuit, can we expect it to sound the same as the PFAs?
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:
Live Music Archive | DaD Torrents | TTD Torrents | Etree Torrents

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »
I just ordered some.  Looking forward to trying it out.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Since you say it's basically the PFA circuit, can we expect it to sound the same as the PFAs?

Pretty much.  The audio path is nearly identical, except for the gain setting--PFAs can be configured for gain, but almost nobody has ever ordered them that way (except for the dynamic mic versions).  Although most PFA circuits will have +6dB gain which is inherent in generating the electrically balanced output.  The IPA isn't designed to do that, it's either unbalanced or impedance-balanced output.  It could be electrically balanced, but that would double power consumption which is kinda dear with an A23.  I would think most people are going to use it as a stereo unbalanced amp feeding a minijack input recorder.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (18)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
Will the polarization option require external power or phantom?

Any idea on normal run times with internal?

I should have waited and tried a set! I just got in my 2nd set of pfa's with polarization.

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:59:56 PM »
Will the polarization option require external power or phantom?

No, it can run on the A23.

Any idea on normal run times with internal?

This is buried deep in the specs--the polarization circuit does use a fair amount of power, so runtime is not as long:

Autonomy (A23 battery, stereo): 20 hours
Autonomy (A23 battery, stereo “active”): 10 hours
Autonomy (A23 battery, mono): 50 hours
Autonomy (A23 battery, mono “active”): 16 hours

Damn, I was hoping for a Naiant line of beers.  >:D

I'm more of a winemaker, actually I'm a former vineyard owner (never made wine commercially though).  But honestly, I'm pretty happy with Guinness (best from an Irish tap) and Yuengling (from the tap at the bowling alley).  I usually don't like microbrews, many of them seem to be trying too hard.

And of course, I dig butt-chugging Franzia Sunset Blush!

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:03 AM »
I don't really understand how phantom power works with the IPA. I was always under the impression that a balanced cable was necessary for phantom power to work, but the stereo version of IPA seems to have unbalanced outputs only. How would I connect a stereo IPA to a recorder that has dual phantom-powered XLR inputs?
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »
You would use a Y cable (which would be impedance-balanced).  But in that case, I'd probably stick with a PFA instead, as it's less expensive once you include the cost of the Y cable.  Or you could use two IPAs, which is definitely more expensive.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
You would use a Y cable (which would be impedance-balanced).

Is that just a plain cable that routes pin 2 of the IPA to the left channel's pin 2 and pin 3 of the IPA to the right channel's pin 2? Or would a small circuit be required?

I'd be interested in the IPA basically as a backup for my tinybox. But phantom power would be nice for occasionally using the "big rig". However, that only makes sense if there's a relatively cheap way for me to wire this up. Otherwise, a simple 3.5mm to dual line adapter would probably also do the job.

Also, a completely unrelated question about the battery that the IPA uses. Are there rechargeable versions of this?

Recordings:

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
would this make CCM's > Sony M10 possible??
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
I'm under the impression all you need is ( for Schoeps ) Schoeps caps, KCY, IPA, and a M10.   Is this correct?

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
IPA will support KCY, but not CCM.  CCM runs on phantom power, and even though it will use 12V, the current required is way too high for an A23 battery.  Your best bet for CCM is to use an XLR input recorder.

IPA could also support CMR.

The Y output cable needs components (a capacitor and resistor) to be balanced, but the IPA is happy if the cable isn't balanced--it doesn't know either way.  The question is then what to do with pin 3--probably your preamp would be unhappy with it grounded (it would waste a lot of power), but it might not like if it was floating either.  It depends on the circuit they used.  So the impedance-balanced cable is the best solution.

I am not aware of rechargeable A23s (it's a button stack battery), but you can buy A23s for less than $1 each in bulk.

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
I got my pair in the mail a week or so ago.  Just got a chance to use them last weekend. 
Nice easy setup and a low profile.  I think the recordings sound pretty nice too. 
Very similar tone compared to my old Littlebox. To my ear anyway.

I forgot to brink my small flathead to play with the gain adjustment. 
Looking forward to putting them through their paces in the coming weeks.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.266 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com