Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant IPA  (Read 18627 times)

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Member
Naiant IPA
« on: March 16, 2016, 03:47:07 PM »
Jon, could you explain the IPA and how it can power microphone capsules, and which microphone capsules?  Who builds the cables for say the Schoeps caps, or the AKG caps?  I know of the Schoeps KCY and Nbob's, but nothing else.  Maybe other's might be curious as I am.

I haven't seen this thing discussed much other in the retail forum. 

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Naiant IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 04:39:22 PM »
Mmmmm hoppy  :P
Mics: Schoeps MK5, Schoeps MK41, AT853u (C,SC,H)
Preamps/converter: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony M10

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Trade Count: (46)
    • Naiant Studio
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 05:31:14 PM »
That's because I haven't shipped any yet.  Later this week the first few will trickle out.

Basically it's the PFA circuit in a slightly larger case with space for an A23 battery and selectable gain.  So anything a PFA can do, an IPA can do as well.  The caveat being the power supply is limited to what an A23 battery can do (9V reliably), so higher-voltage systems such as Nbox or my AKGs can't be supported with internal battery (they could run on external power or phantom).  KCY, MBHO, PIP, 3-wire, anything else that is <9V FET supply can be supported with internal battery.

The PFA polarization circuit can be added, so the polarization voltage can be 40V-60V.

And sorry, it's Inline Powered Amplifier :(

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 05:46:30 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Since you say it's basically the PFA circuit, can we expect it to sound the same as the PFAs?
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:
Live Music Archive | DaD Torrents | TTD Torrents | Etree Torrents

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 05:51:14 PM »
I just ordered some.  Looking forward to trying it out.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 07:12:03 PM »
Sounds very interesting. Since you say it's basically the PFA circuit, can we expect it to sound the same as the PFAs?

Pretty much.  The audio path is nearly identical, except for the gain setting--PFAs can be configured for gain, but almost nobody has ever ordered them that way (except for the dynamic mic versions).  Although most PFA circuits will have +6dB gain which is inherent in generating the electrically balanced output.  The IPA isn't designed to do that, it's either unbalanced or impedance-balanced output.  It could be electrically balanced, but that would double power consumption which is kinda dear with an A23.  I would think most people are going to use it as a stereo unbalanced amp feeding a minijack input recorder.

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (18)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22:43 PM »
Will the polarization option require external power or phantom?

Any idea on normal run times with internal?

I should have waited and tried a set! I just got in my 2nd set of pfa's with polarization.

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:59:56 PM »
Will the polarization option require external power or phantom?

No, it can run on the A23.

Any idea on normal run times with internal?

This is buried deep in the specs--the polarization circuit does use a fair amount of power, so runtime is not as long:

Autonomy (A23 battery, stereo): 20 hours
Autonomy (A23 battery, stereo “active”): 10 hours
Autonomy (A23 battery, mono): 50 hours
Autonomy (A23 battery, mono “active”): 16 hours

Damn, I was hoping for a Naiant line of beers.  >:D

I'm more of a winemaker, actually I'm a former vineyard owner (never made wine commercially though).  But honestly, I'm pretty happy with Guinness (best from an Irish tap) and Yuengling (from the tap at the bowling alley).  I usually don't like microbrews, many of them seem to be trying too hard.

And of course, I dig butt-chugging Franzia Sunset Blush!

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 02:56:03 AM »
I don't really understand how phantom power works with the IPA. I was always under the impression that a balanced cable was necessary for phantom power to work, but the stereo version of IPA seems to have unbalanced outputs only. How would I connect a stereo IPA to a recorder that has dual phantom-powered XLR inputs?
{Schoeps MK4 > NBob actives | MBHO KA 200 N} > {Naiant Tinybox v2.0 | Naiant IPA | Naiant PFAs} > {Zoom F8 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d}

Recordings:

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:35:34 AM »
You would use a Y cable (which would be impedance-balanced).  But in that case, I'd probably stick with a PFA instead, as it's less expensive once you include the cost of the Y cable.  Or you could use two IPAs, which is definitely more expensive.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2016, 10:25:49 AM »
You would use a Y cable (which would be impedance-balanced).

Is that just a plain cable that routes pin 2 of the IPA to the left channel's pin 2 and pin 3 of the IPA to the right channel's pin 2? Or would a small circuit be required?

I'd be interested in the IPA basically as a backup for my tinybox. But phantom power would be nice for occasionally using the "big rig". However, that only makes sense if there's a relatively cheap way for me to wire this up. Otherwise, a simple 3.5mm to dual line adapter would probably also do the job.

Also, a completely unrelated question about the battery that the IPA uses. Are there rechargeable versions of this?

Recordings:

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2016, 10:48:59 AM »
would this make CCM's > Sony M10 possible??
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2016, 11:50:54 AM »
I'm under the impression all you need is ( for Schoeps ) Schoeps caps, KCY, IPA, and a M10.   Is this correct?

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2016, 01:37:35 PM »
IPA will support KCY, but not CCM.  CCM runs on phantom power, and even though it will use 12V, the current required is way too high for an A23 battery.  Your best bet for CCM is to use an XLR input recorder.

IPA could also support CMR.

The Y output cable needs components (a capacitor and resistor) to be balanced, but the IPA is happy if the cable isn't balanced--it doesn't know either way.  The question is then what to do with pin 3--probably your preamp would be unhappy with it grounded (it would waste a lot of power), but it might not like if it was floating either.  It depends on the circuit they used.  So the impedance-balanced cable is the best solution.

I am not aware of rechargeable A23s (it's a button stack battery), but you can buy A23s for less than $1 each in bulk.

Offline SxPxDxCx

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:26 PM »
I got my pair in the mail a week or so ago.  Just got a chance to use them last weekend. 
Nice easy setup and a low profile.  I think the recordings sound pretty nice too. 
Very similar tone compared to my old Littlebox. To my ear anyway.

I forgot to brink my small flathead to play with the gain adjustment. 
Looking forward to putting them through their paces in the coming weeks.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (8)
    • LMA
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 10:18:54 AM »
Good to hear.  Please share some pictures of the IPA rig.  Thanks!
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Apogee Mini-MP / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »
I see "IPA's" in your sig line...are you using one for each MBHO? That was the case in order to run my Milab's balanced...

This must be heaven -- This is where the rainbow ends. At last it's the real thing...At least I can pretend.

Offline SxPxDxCx

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
I see "IPA's" in your sig line...are you using one for each MBHO? That was the case in order to run my Milab's balanced...

Yes I have one for each microphone and a Y cable XLR to stereo mini to run into my M10.

I'll try to post some pictures soon.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 01:47:22 PM »

Yes I have one for each microphone and a Y cable XLR to stereo mini to run into my M10.

Sorry to be the one to ask a dumb question..  Where is the phantom power coming from in this example? If I read correctly, the IPA can do 9V with its internal battery. I assume that is insufficient to power MBHOs (and Schoeps), correct?

But (again if I read it correctly) you can connect an external battery to the IPA, and then it can provide P48 -- is that right?

Finally -- it appears one could go Schoeps stereo pair>KCY>IPA>split XLR cable>deck, correct?  In this example, is it the case that:

A: The deck must provide P48 or
B: The deck can provide P48 OR you can connect a battery to the IPA and it can provide P48...

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun
Installed: AT 4051
Pres/Power: Aeta PSP3, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Zoom F8, R-26, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (117)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 08:47:21 PM »

Sorry to be the one to ask a dumb question..  Where is the phantom power coming from in this example? If I read correctly, the IPA can do 9V with its internal battery. I assume that is insufficient to power MBHOs (and Schoeps), correct?

But (again if I read it correctly) you can connect an external battery to the IPA, and then it can provide P48 -- is that right?

Finally -- it appears one could go Schoeps stereo pair>KCY>IPA>split XLR cable>deck, correct?  In this example, is it the case that:

A: The deck must provide P48 or
B: The deck can provide P48 OR you can connect a battery to the IPA and it can provide P48...

I'm very curious of that exact same info AJ :) I've been slacking on new Naiant products and didn't even know of an IPA until I saw this thread 8)
Schoeps MK4's & MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS02IB | Naiant +60v PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's ->
Tascam DR-70D's ->
128gb & 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards

FiiO E10K DAC/HP Amp & E11K HP Amp ->
Sony MDR-7506 Cans & SA-VA15 Speakers | Monster iSport Victory Earbuds

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (129)
  • Spreadicated
Schoeps MK4's, MK41's> KCY 250/5 Ig> Schoeps VMS 5U> Sony PCM-M10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2016, 09:08:12 PM »
http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/ipa-flexible-power-inline-amplifier/

Thanks buddy 8)

EDIT: I cant tell through browsing, but this can be powered with Phantom Power of my 70d XLR Inputs ??? Or do I need an external powering option? I was going to get a 2nd PFA soon, but these look pretty cool! Very cool option for small setup & powering/gain! I just really don't need the gain of these! I guess a PFA is more what I'm looking for at the moment! BUT, I like that Jon is still expanding things and making new, very neat/cool products ;D 8)

So you can run caps>IPA>M10 easily! So badass IMO! Or I could run caps>IPA>70d, just not sure about the powering for the IPA ??? I know I'm overlooking it on Jon's webpage :(
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 09:15:52 PM by F.O.Bean »
Tascam DR-70D's ->

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Nobody's finished, we ain't even begun
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 08:10:40 AM »
Bean, read the above webpage:

POWER OPTIONS

The IPA has a flexible power supply scheme that can support:

+9V to +52V phantom power
an internal A23 battery (optional; not included)
external battery or AC adaptor via DC power port (+5V to +15V; +12V recommended)

You could use Capsules> KCY> IPA> Recorder. The IPA's internal battery would provide the 60v to the caps, and the IPA could provide basic gain. As Jon's said in the thread, this is a replacement for the tinybox.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk3 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Naiant PFA
Recorders: Tascam Dr-70d, Sony PCM m10
Home Playback: Mytek Stereo96> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400
Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701

Offline Gunner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2016, 09:12:52 AM »
I would love to see some pics  ;D

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2016, 11:04:15 AM »

Just add caps and a M10.

Offline Gunner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2016, 11:56:39 AM »
^ Thanks!

That's a nice small piece of gear

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 07:49:21 PM »
I'm going to have to grab one of these!!  Slick setup, Is that a 5pin XLR on the IPA?? 

Just add caps and a M10.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 08:12:01 PM by jbell »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2016, 05:30:38 AM »

Just add caps and a M10.

Very nice ;D You could've also gotten the IPA with a mini 1/8" output as well, correct? Just trying to figure out why you didn't just get the mini 1/8" output on your IPA ??? Cant you get an IPA with the 1/8" Mini output AND the 5-pin XLR output, with an extended IPA case ??? That way you could have the Mini output AND the 5-pin XLR output, without the need for the 5-pin XLR>1/8" Mini cable? Sorry for ALL of the questions, but I just started doing research on these, and this is the first one Ive seen with some Schoeps ;D Did you do that just so you can run into a Preamp/Recorder with Balanced XLR Inputs/Phantom Power, as well as the 5-pin XLR>Mini cable that you have pictured ???

And Im with JBell, I need to grab one of those eventually!

POWER OPTIONS

external battery or AC adaptor via DC power port (+5V to +15V; +12V recommended)

You could use Capsules> KCY> IPA> Recorder. The IPA's internal battery would provide the 60v to the caps, and the IPA could provide basic gain. As Jon's said in the thread, this is a replacement for the tinybox.

Thanks Noah 8) I saw that, but just wanted someone to confirm that the IPA could be powered solely with my 70d's Phantom Power ;D Seems like its def possible! Since I no longer run a small handheld deck[M10/R9/DR2D/etc], a PFA would be better suited towards my current needs! But for someone running a small active setup, with a small deck, this would be a GREAT option for some compact gain ;D Especially for you stea&lthers out there ;)
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (27)
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2016, 09:06:42 AM »
Jon,

I almost always wish that I had taken a few electronics courses early on in my life before asking any questions that will have obvious answers to you.   Anyway, here goes.

Let's say that I would occasionally want the ability to run a balanced output originating from:  my Nbox ---> Line In --->multi channel XLR recorder.  I do not have a KCY Nbox, I have the Nbob version.  You already supplied me with a PFA for this Gefell/Schoeps rig but I wouldn't be using that option in this case.  My Nbox has a male, 3pin, mini XLR out.

What IPA config would you recommend to me to accomplish what I want to accomplish here?  Would I need two IPA's?

thank you,

David
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 09:32:35 AM by dactylus »
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2016, 10:22:04 AM »
You don't need an IPA, you need a Y cable, ideally with a resistor to match the output impedance of the Nbox (which I don't know).

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Saint Paul, MN
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2016, 10:33:59 AM »
You don't need an IPA, you need a Y cable, ideally with a resistor to match the output impedance of the Nbox (which I don't know).

Thank you.
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2016, 11:54:00 AM »
Bean, I wanted the IPA the way it is.  The XLR is 3 pin into the RA stereo mini. 

I asked Jon about a mini only output from where the XLR output is.  The PFA is part of the XLR jack so that has to be the way it is. 

I suppose one could do like you suggested and run out of the mini output and not use the XLR out.  Maybe--need to check with Jon first on that.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2016, 07:05:03 AM »
Bean, I wanted the IPA the way it is.  The XLR is 3 pin into the RA stereo mini. 

I asked Jon about a mini only output from where the XLR output is.  The PFA is part of the XLR jack so that has to be the way it is. 

I suppose one could do like you suggested and run out of the mini output and not use the XLR out.  Maybe--need to check with Jon first on that.

Just wondered buddy 8) I just saw the option to have the extended case for the ability to have an XLR AND Mini output, and was curious why you went with one over the other! Since you're the first person I've seen with one of these, I'm obviously very curious about it, so sorry for all of the questions Gormenghast ;) I think its a beautiful design overall and I really want one now ;D I love that its a stereo PFA/Amp, yet housed in such a TINY package! I can't wait to hear your first shows with it! I'm very glad that Jon is still providing HQ products tailored to OUR needs, and at amazing prices too IMO! Like I said, I can't wait to hear some shows this these ;D
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »

Just wondered buddy 8) I just saw the option to have the extended case for the ability to have an XLR AND Mini output, and was curious why you went with one over the other! Since you're the first person I've seen with one of these, I'm obviously very curious about it, so sorry for all of the questions Gormenghast ;) I think its a beautiful design overall and I really want one now ;D I love that its a stereo PFA/Amp, yet housed in such a TINY package! I can't wait to hear your first shows with it! I'm very glad that Jon is still providing HQ products tailored to OUR needs, and at amazing prices too IMO! Like I said, I can't wait to hear some shows this these ;D

All's good bean  :D

Ask any question you like and I'll do the best to answer. 

As for recordings--it'll be a while until I can get away for something to tape.  My kids keep me busy with sports and when it's not sports, it's always something else.  But we have a big run with SCI.  Journey, Doobie Bro's, Foreigner, and a few bluegrass stuff planned this summer.  We'll see what happens.  I took my son and daughter to SCI last January and ditched the rig and hung out with them for their first big concert experience.  Such a  great hit with my son that he wants to do more but this time around I might roll tape and see if he's interested in that sort of thing. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2016, 03:47:47 PM »

All's good bean  :D

Ask any question you like and I'll do the best to answer. 

As for recordings--it'll be a while until I can get away for something to tape.  My kids keep me busy with sports and when it's not sports, it's always something else.  But we have a big run with SCI.  Journey, Doobie Bro's, Foreigner, and a few bluegrass stuff planned this summer.  We'll see what happens.  I took my son and daughter to SCI last January and ditched the rig and hung out with them for their first big concert experience.  Such a  great hit with my son that he wants to do more but this time around I might roll tape and see if he's interested in that sort of thing. 

Sounds like a good summer to me! You never know, you're son could be a tapir waiting to blossom lol ;D But its really cool that he was into SCI and wants to continue seeing shows with you 8) I'll definitely keep my eyes open for some of your IPA tapes! And thanks again for answering all of my questions! I'm very intrigued now!!!
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »

POWER OPTIONS

I read the webpage but what you just wrote above was not clear to me from reading it. "Can support" is the not the same notion as "can deliver" in terms of power supply. The above (especially the picture) did clarify it for me...

Likewise, someone please indulge yet another question I can't figure out from the website:

I have some NBob cables with the standard NBox connectors (I believe those are EN3s -- the things that screw together). If anyone has adapted those to a tinybox or IPA, how did you do it? I feel like I asked folks about adapters and it's maybe not possible, but want to throw that question out there again.... (currently they have an attachment cable that terminates in two PFAs)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 03:06:10 PM by acidjack »
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun
Installed: AT 4051
Pres/Power: Aeta PSP3, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Zoom F8, R-26, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Hypnocracy

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (41)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Hypnocratic Missionary
    • Hypno on teh LMA
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2016, 03:56:11 PM »
It is possible to add the new PFA polarization voltage circuit to v1 tinyboxes internally, so that v1 tinyboxes can also support actives.
Is it a TB version 1? Above is a quote from a closed topic in the Retail Section. I know Jon made many Nbox supported Tinyboxes...and if you now have the PFA internal I guess it's just a matter of a new pigtail with the correct Nbox Binder connectors.

This must be heaven -- This is where the rainbow ends. At last it's the real thing...At least I can pretend.

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2016, 04:03:35 PM »
IPA does not support Nbox format because the supply for the FET is 8-10V.  Any tinybox can be modified to support Nbox, I would recommend via 6-pin mini-XLR adaptor.

Offline spybo

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2016, 06:29:22 PM »
Hi Jon,
I'm just after an IPA with stereo minijacks in/out and a 3 way gain switch- 0/10/15....got plenty of 23A batteries.
All possible?
Cheers mate

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2016, 04:25:16 PM »
It could be done but there still has to be something at the far end of the case; a minijack is too small for that hole (it starts like as an RCA D-panel).  So the minijacks would both have to be on top of the case next to each other, or maybe on the side with the LED.  Then I could use a blank panel on the end, but that would have to be plastic.

I recommend using a 3-pin mini-XLR as a PIP input, although I know few mics are wired that way.  It's a worthwhile change to get a latching connector that won't wear out.

Offline SxPxDxCx

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2016, 05:12:58 PM »
Here is my IPA setup

Offline spybo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2016, 06:49:35 AM »
Hey Jon,
Thanks for the reply on the board.
I would like to order a pair of IPA's with the stereo mini-jack in/out and 3 way gain switch....can the minijacks be placed either end..one for-in the other-out ??...I don't mind a plastic end if that is what you will use...it makes for a neat "inline" small pre which is what I want.
In any case please reply and tell me how to describe this on your website when ordering....or PM me.
( am happy to have a very short stereo minijack>>minixlr cable made as a go-between if it is possible for the reason you mention.)
Thanks

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2016, 11:42:10 AM »
Jon doesn't use the PM system on the Board.  Better to e-mail him:

music@naiant.com

He is very responsive.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh40, md421, md431, md541
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, pueblo pending
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, dr70d, zoom f8, lynx aurora 8

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job!

Offline spybo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2016, 09:24:27 AM »
Thanks!....will do

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2016, 02:55:44 PM »
Looks very interesting.  Marking thread.

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:17 AM »
Here is my IPA setup

Why two IPA's?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #46 on: July 04, 2016, 02:13:23 PM »
Here is my IPA setup

Why two IPA's?
one for each channel/mic I assume

I am still confused with these though, they can run 9v "pip" mics correct ??
They can run "actives", in my case naiant akg, correct ??
They can NOT run 48v mics, correct ??
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2016, 12:01:31 AM »
How do these work with the KCY cable?  The KCY is a Y-cable that connects to two caps, so that would mean you only need one IPA for a set of two MK caps?  And what was the reason again why there can only be an XLR+1/8" output but not just a 1/8" output?  Is it due to design/pre-make parts or some other reason?

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #48 on: July 08, 2016, 05:47:37 AM »
Here's mine, next to my tinybox for size comparison. Click on the picture for a bigger version.

How do these work with the KCY cable?  The KCY is a Y-cable that connects to two caps, so that would mean you only need one IPA for a set of two MK caps?

I suppose it works the same way my Nbob/IPA setup works.

Recordings:

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #49 on: July 08, 2016, 05:16:28 PM »
Here's mine, next to my tinybox for size comparison. Click on the picture for a bigger version.

Thanks for the pic!

So it looks like you use a single IPA with a KCY (? of is that a "Nbob" cable?) cable to power two MK caps.  I see there is a 1/8" cable plugged in on the end that the KCY cable plugs into the IPA, and is that the XLR output on the other end?  It looks like nothing is plugged in on that end in the pic. 

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: July 08, 2016, 06:09:28 PM »
So it looks like you use a single IPA with a KCY (? of is that a "Nbob" cable?) cable to power two MK caps.  I see there is a 1/8" cable plugged in on the end that the KCY cable plugs into the IPA, and is that the XLR output on the other end?  It looks like nothing is plugged in on that end in the pic. 

That's an NBob cable, but I see no reason why KCY would work any different if you order the KCY version of the IPA. And yes, you don't need to use the XLR output at all. You can just use the 3.5mm output to feed a portable recorder like the M10. I have yet to run this setup in the field, though (just got the IPA in the mail yesterday).

Recordings:

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #51 on: July 08, 2016, 06:17:04 PM »
That's an NBob cable, but I see no reason why KCY would work any different if you order the KCY version of the IPA. And yes, you don't need to use the XLR output at all. You can just use the 3.5mm output to feed a portable recorder like the M10. I have yet to run this setup in the field, though (just got the IPA in the mail yesterday).

Thanks, that helps a lot.  But does the IPA provide phantom power?  I think Jon said in a different thread that it does not?  And do you know how easy/hard it is to replace batteries?

Thanks again!

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2016, 02:51:27 AM »
Thanks, that helps a lot.  But does the IPA provide phantom power?  I think Jon said in a different thread that it does not?  And do you know how easy/hard it is to replace batteries?

It does not provide phantom power, but it's capable of powering active mic capsules directly.

Battery replacement is easy. You open the IPA using two thumb screws. It looks like this when opened:

As you can see, the battery clip is right there.

Recordings:

Offline robeti

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2016, 08:58:08 AM »

Are your NBOB cables terminated to mini xlr?
at-u853 (c,h)
JB-Nak 300's (2x) , caps: cp1, cp2, cp3
ca-ubb (2x)
r-05 (2x)

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2016, 11:27:51 AM »
Are your NBOB cables terminated to mini xlr?

Yeah, I originally had them made for use with my tinybox.

Recordings:

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Dust of long dead stars is what we are.
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2016, 12:43:53 PM »
Was going to grab a second PFA but this thing is more versatile, can run into an m10 or 1/8 into a 661 great for  >:D
Mk4v/41v>Nbob kcy x2>nbox platinum/Naiant PFA/Naiant IPA>Oade warm mod Marantz 661 x2/Sony pcm m10x2

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2016, 03:10:12 AM »
It does not provide phantom power, but it's capable of powering active mic capsules directly.

Battery replacement is easy. You open the IPA using two thumb screws. It looks like this when opened:

Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.  I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #57 on: July 11, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »

Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.  I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.
yeah tb was killer IMO because it covered all bases, pip/48/actives plus it's size and battery life.
This looks cool if you have a y cable that it supports otherwise having two seems like it could be more challenging and of course leaves the door open for more errors
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #58 on: July 11, 2016, 03:48:30 PM »
I suppose the IPA would be better for stealthing since it is so thin and compact, and could be an easy backup to a Tinybox as well.  Would be good to have both.

I haven't stealthed with the IPA, yet. But judging from my first impressions, I think I also prefer the tinybox form factor for stealth because it seems to be slightly better pocketable. That being said, IPA should do the job as well. It's still damn small, just not as tiny as tb. ;-)

I mainly got it to have a backup for my tinybox (whose batteries are rather old) and as an alternative with exchangeable batteries (e.g. for festivals where I can't recharge tinybox).

Recordings:

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2016, 03:35:41 AM »
Nice!  I didn't realize you didn't need phantom power, that's great.  Thanks for the pic.  Looks nice and compact, although I do prefer the Tinybox form factor.

Someone needs to start making a Tinybox knockoff!  Or maybe Jon could sell his designs or license them out to some intrepid taper/entrepreneur?  :P

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2016, 03:37:56 AM »
I haven't stealthed with the IPA, yet. But judging from my first impressions, I think I also prefer the tinybox form factor for stealth because it seems to be slightly better pocketable. That being said, IPA should do the job as well. It's still damn small, just not as tiny as tb. ;-)

I mainly got it to have a backup for my tinybox (whose batteries are rather old) and as an alternative with exchangeable batteries (e.g. for festivals where I can't recharge tinybox).

That's what I would do with it too, use it as a back up for a tinybox or maybe as a stealth option as it seems slightly smaller, especially if you chopped off the XLR output end.  Of course, I don't even own any mics...

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:32 PM »
I just ordered an IPA for my schleps caps and nbob kcy, looking forward to playing with it. I was gonna pick up a backup PFA anyway but figured the IPA is more versatile in that I can run either my 661 with it phantom on or off, or my M10. And it's pretty freaking tiny.  >:D
Mk4v/41v>Nbob kcy x2>nbox platinum/Naiant PFA/Naiant IPA>Oade warm mod Marantz 661 x2/Sony pcm m10x2

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2016, 06:14:50 AM »
I just ordered an IPA for my schleps caps and nbob kcy, looking forward to playing with it. I was gonna pick up a backup PFA anyway but figured the IPA is more versatile in that I can run either my 661 with it phantom on or off, or my M10. And it's pretty freaking tiny.  >:D

Noyce 8) Snap some pics when you get it please? I don't think Ive seen an IPA/Schoeps setup yet!
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2016, 11:03:16 AM »

Noyce 8) Snap some pics when you get it please? I don't think Ive seen an IPA/Schoeps setup yet!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176836.msg2193994#msg2193994
Mics: Schoeps MK5, Schoeps MK41, AT853u (C,SC,H)
Preamps/converter: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony M10

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2016, 11:12:05 AM »

Will do.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2016, 12:13:01 PM »
There is a pic of the schoeps setup on page 2 of this thread!

Offline drewloo

• Friend of Salsa
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • it's recreational
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2016, 01:21:28 PM »
Bean did you mean nbob/IPA?
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.  -FZ

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
Same difference!!  I think it only powers KCY version of the Nbobs. 

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #68 on: July 17, 2016, 02:35:59 AM »
Cool pics thanks guys! Im really intrigued by this tiny lil thing! Cant wait to hear some "tapes" with it soon :)
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2016, 04:34:00 AM »
hi guys,
I need a final clarification about IPA for my equipment:

I bought a set of Nbob cables from Datfly some months ago. They should be v2 cables
see pic > http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k191/datfly/DSC01158w_zpsjzh5pq1u.jpg

that go into a connector that I plug into a 6-pin mini-xlr connecotr to a Naiant Tinybox (that should be v2.5)...

now what I would need to know is if I can use a Naiant IPA as a backup for my tinybox or of it can not correctly power the caps through Nbob Actives. I asked Jon but I could not clearly understand that (my bad, I'm a total dummy about this matter). It seems like the answer is YES if you have a KCY active cables set but I guess I've not...

thanks in advance!
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R09 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2016, 08:07:09 AM »
With a kcy schoeps or NBob yes!   So that is a no for you.

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2016, 09:40:35 AM »
It will work just fine. Jon can make the IPA with the same input as your tinybox. This is how you do it:

1. Point your browser to: http://naiant.com/studio-electronics-products/inline-devices/ipa-flexible-power-inline-amplifier/
2. select the stereo tb6m as the input option
3. Select whatever you want as the output (don't get surprised that a single XLR can cary a *stereo* signal. It can. But you might want the mini jack too)
4. Select what gain option you want (most likely variable spindle)
5. Purchase the IPA
6. Share your recordings with us.

I've included a screen shot to make it ever more obvious.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 09:44:05 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Home Playback: Mytek Stereo96> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400

Offline thomasdk7

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2016, 10:23:21 AM »
From what I was told by Jon over email, is that it works for KCY only. Schoeps KCY or Nbob KCY should both be fine, but needs to be KCY.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2016, 10:59:54 AM »
This is how I understand it!!  The Nbob configuration requires different powering setup that the IPA won't do. 

From what I was told by Jon over email, is that it works for KCY only. Schoeps KCY or Nbob KCY should both be fine, but needs to be KCY.

Offline MLKLuke

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
  • going going...but never GONE!
    • MLK Audio
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2016, 12:19:56 PM »
not so clear to everyone then  ;D

from what I can understand it won't work for me unless I get my Nbob cables converted to KCY system...isn't it?
MLK - Luke
Mics: Schoeps MK4+Nbob Actives / AT853 (H,C,SC) / DPA 4061
Power: Tinybox v2.5 / 3-Wire BBox / CA-9200 3W / CA-UBB
Recorders: R09 / R09HR / Pocketrak C24 / Tascam DR2D
My Recordings

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #75 on: July 28, 2016, 12:20:53 PM »
Due to the A23 battery, the IPA has maximum voltage supply to the mics of 8V (FET supply; the polarization voltage can be 60V), so the 16V nbox format won't work.  Also, an IPA only has a single-ended input, so one IPA can't support all microphone combinations that a tinybox could (that is, only one pair of input pins will be active with an IPA), and one IPA can only have a balanced input in mono and then only to a balanced-input recorder via the XLR output.

edit:  PS:  I've been sketching a digital version of the IPA that would have both analog & digital outputs in AES3/SPDIF format (optical as an option) and would run on 5V-10V digital or 12V-48V analog phantom power (analog output only) or 5V external.  This would have 110dBA dynamic range and options for preemphasis or dither for 16-bit compatibility (should be about 100dBA in 16-bit mode), and the ability to sync units via aux SPDIF input.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2016, 12:40:47 PM by ~Jon Stoppable »

Offline willndmb

« Reply #76 on: July 29, 2016, 10:31:59 PM »
  PS:  I've been sketching a digital version of the IPA that would have both analog & digital outputs in AES3/SPDIF format (optical as an option) and would run on 5V-10V digital or 12V-48V analog phantom power (analog output only) or 5V external.  This would have 110dBA dynamic range and options for preemphasis or dither for 16-bit compatibility (should be about 100dBA in 16-bit mode), and the ability to sync units via aux SPDIF input.
so as someone who is always an idiot when it comes to understanding this stuff, if you are saying this version could support 48v mics, then I think it's a great idea.
The best part of a __box was the option to support multi formats. For example my tb does 48v/pip/actives and I love that so if the new IPA supported that too I would be super happy

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #77 on: July 29, 2016, 10:49:18 PM »
  PS:  I've been sketching a digital version of the IPA that would have both analog & digital outputs in AES3/SPDIF format (optical as an option) and would run on 5V-10V digital or 12V-48V analog phantom power (analog output only) or 5V external.  This would have 110dBA dynamic range and options for preemphasis or dither for 16-bit compatibility (should be about 100dBA in 16-bit mode), and the ability to sync units via aux SPDIF input.
so as someone who is always an idiot when it comes to understanding this stuff, if you are saying this version could support 48v mics, then I think it's a great idea.
The best part of a __box was the option to support multi formats. For example my tb does 48v/pip/actives and I love that so if the new IPA supported that too I would be super happy

No the IPA is a P48 device, it doesn't support P48 devices.  You should think of it as a microphone body that has a few added features.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2016, 04:45:36 PM »

No the IPA is a P48 device, it doesn't support P48 devices.  You should think of it as a microphone body that has a few added features.
ahhh thanks, as a mic body that makes sense to me now

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #79 on: August 08, 2016, 12:12:25 AM »
Just received my IPA configured for Schoeps KXY cable, really neat little piece of gear.  Has anyone compared its performance to the Schoeps VST 62 IUg (discontinued, was an order of magnitude more expensive)??  Subjective opinions also welcome.  Just very curious...

Jeff

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2016, 02:08:32 PM »
Just received my IPA configured for Schoeps KXY cable, really neat little piece of gear.  Has anyone compared its performance to the Schoeps VST 62 IUg (discontinued, was an order of magnitude more expensive)??  Subjective opinions also welcome.  Just very curious...

Jeff

How long from ordering did it take to ship?
MK41v's / MK4v's / MK4's / Telefunken FET M60 Cards and Hypers / AT853s
KCY x 2 > naiant PFA or IPA or Nbox  / SP-SPSB-11 Battery Box
Zoom F8 / Zoom F4 / Sony M-10 /  SD 702

Offline WiFiJeff

• Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2016, 02:27:57 PM »

How long from ordering did it take to ship?

Roughly a month.

Jeff

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2016, 07:43:02 PM »
Just got mine, I'm pretty fired up, it's so damn tiny. Really glad I got the recessed gain pot. A23 batteries 3.99 a two pack at Home Depot, anyone do better? First show most likely Earle Colvin this Sunday.  :headphones:

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:26 PM »
Mine just came too. I got the spindle, which I still have to figure out.

I'm thinking mk4v> nbob KCY> Naiant IPA> m10 will be small and easy and run forever.
Recording:

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2016, 11:57:24 PM »

I'm thinking mk41v> Schoeps KCY> Naiant IPA> m10 will be small and easy and run forever.

>:D

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: September 01, 2016, 09:34:30 AM »

I'm thinking mk4v> nbob KCY> Naiant IPA> m10 will be small and easy and run forever.

Mine came 10 days ago. I'm thinking the same thing

mk4 > schoeps KCY> Naiant IPA> m10

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #86 on: September 02, 2016, 01:01:29 AM »
Definitely a cool and TINY device :) An mkxx->KCY->IPA->M10 would be tiny and killer sounding, I bet :) Cant wait to hear some stuff from these starting to circulate :) I love that Jon can do the 60v Polarization for the Schoeps caps with these tiny lil IPA's as well!
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (9)
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #87 on: September 02, 2016, 02:23:16 AM »
So...for the Beyer CK930's would I be able to replace my mic bodies with these things? ...or would they go between the bodies and the recorder?

I'd be pretty happy to get rid of those bodies. CK930 caps > IPA > M10 would be pretty nice.
-24      -12              -6             0       OVER
||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []  
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||| []

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 ~ Nevaton MCE400 ~ Countryman B3 |||
||| CABLES: Kind Kables |||
||| PREAMPS: Naiant Tinybox | Naiant Littlebox | Naiant IPA | Church BB |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre-6 | Sony M10 |||
||| PLAYBACK: Outlaw Audio RR2150 > Epos ELS8 |||
||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||
|||Concerts History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube Channel|||

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #88 on: September 02, 2016, 12:02:41 PM »
Yes.  You'd want to have some sort of adaptor cable to run two capsules into one IPA; I'd recommend the tinybox TB6M input format.

The IPA won't help with the 658 (handicap) series I dropped on your elders last night though  ;D

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #89 on: September 02, 2016, 05:33:04 PM »
Definitely a cool and TINY device :) An mkxx->KCY->IPA->M10 would be tiny and killer sounding, I bet :) Cant wait to hear some stuff from these starting to circulate :)

If you don't mind a little Krautrock, here's something I recorded last night:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=570428&hit=1

Recordings:

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #90 on: September 03, 2016, 08:06:50 AM »
Definitely a cool and TINY device :) An mkxx->KCY->IPA->M10 would be tiny and killer sounding, I bet :) Cant wait to hear some stuff from these starting to circulate :)

Unfortunately, I cant DL from Dime :P

EDIT: I just signed up for a new acct, but I don't see an option to DL the torrent file or anything from the page you linked?? I haven't been on Dime in forever, so any help would be much appreciated :)
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline yug du nord

• uncleyug>Snowman>
  • Trade Count: (53)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #91 on: September 03, 2016, 08:20:30 AM »
^"torrent file" at the very top of page.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2016, 11:34:02 AM »

EDIT: I just signed up for a new acct, but I don't see an option to DL the torrent file or anything from the page you linked?? I haven't been on Dime in forever, so any help would be much appreciated :)

A new Dime account can only see whats available. You have to request a mod give you access to to downloading torrent files, or something like that.

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2016, 11:58:07 AM »

Alright, here's a wetransfer link. Should be good for the next few days...
https://we.tl/KlNFJTQ2ra

Recordings:

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2016, 10:16:38 PM »
Any resident cable builders come up with a way to make a U-shaped XLR? So the cable exits back in the same direction it plugs in, putting the cable along side the IPA and back towards the input side. Might make the IPA more "pocket" friendly.
DPA4061 HEB/AT943>CA-UGLY -> R-09
Samson C02/Superlux S502 -> DR-680MKII
AKG CK63 -> ...

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2016, 11:10:12 PM »
Any resident cable builders come up with a way to make a U-shaped XLR? So the cable exits back in the same direction it plugs in, putting the cable along side the IPA and back towards the input side. Might make the IPA more "pocket" friendly.

I posted a photo of my Schoeps IPA setup.  Jon made the XLR>stereo mini cable.

Offline jefflester

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2016, 05:22:52 PM »

I posted a photo of my Schoeps IPA setup.  Jon made the XLR>stereo mini cable.
I think you misunderstand the point of my query. True, the whole input connector+IPA+XLR is not all that long, but the cables are going out of the IPA in opposite directions. Place it in a fanny pack or some other  >:D like location and one cable, the other, or both are likely to be bent. Several people in the thread have mentioned still having a preference for the Tinybox configuration even if it is larger in volume, perhaps because the IO is on the same side, better for  >:D. My suggestion is a custom built cable/connector that makes the output cable run back along the IPA so it is then in parallel with the input cable so there is less stress on the output cable in a tight situation. Including the 1/8" output and using that would alleviate the problem (with a right angle 1/8" plug), but having a locking XLR is nicer. Essentially making a chopped XLR but with additional potting to give it the full U-turn bend perhaps?
DPA4061 HEB/AT943>CA-UGLY -> R-09
Samson C02/Superlux S502 -> DR-680MKII
AKG CK63 -> ...

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2016, 07:04:03 PM »
I understand.  I think the IPA can have a stereo mini output.  The hole on mine is where the gain knob is, but I think the mini output is in a similar spot but on a different side. 

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2016, 12:00:37 PM »

I think a full-on U-shaped (180º) connector is probably overkill.  A right-angle connector with a subsequent 90º bend in the cable would accomplish the same goal.  But IME RA XLRs are pretty bulky.  Alternatively, you could use a RA connector on the input (much smaller), which would route the input cable back towards the output XLR.  Though this would put the IPA 'upside down', relative to your option.

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2016, 12:15:08 PM »
here's mine:
Recording:

Offline willndmb

« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2016, 08:30:20 PM »
I understand.  I think the IPA can have a stereo mini output.  The hole on mine is where the gain knob is, but I think the mini output is in a similar spot but on a different side. 

:even smaller then I thought

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2016, 02:48:55 AM »
Here's another one I pulled with the IPA: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=572229&hit=1

After using the IPA for a while, I don't think it sounds any different from my trusty tinybox. I'm still not happy with the form factor, though. But I might be able to come up with a solution to that...

Recordings:

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2016, 04:54:34 AM »
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2016, 02:37:40 PM »
Here's some more Psychedelic Krautrock recorded with the IPA:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=573467&hit=1

... and some Garage Punk:
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=573100&hit=1

Recordings:

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #104 on: October 22, 2016, 06:08:31 AM »
Finally took the IPA to a big show with a decent PA, and the result is awesome: https://soundcloud.com/user9705966/bhic2016-10-15_mk4_d1t13/s-jZgsX
The full recording is on Dime.

Recordings:

Offline Gunner

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #105 on: October 22, 2016, 07:44:02 PM »
It sounds great! Congrats

• sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2016, 04:47:18 PM »
Got mine in the mail the other day (thanks Jon).

Mine is set up for my Beyer CK930's. Now I don't have to run my bodies...so nice. I can put this whole setup together in about a minute. Caps > cables > IPA > mini to mini cable > M10.

Now I need to pick up a new (smaller) pelican case for my caps, and maybe a new bag because the tiny bag I was already using is too big. :D

Also planning on getting one of the cable builders here to make me some shorter cables without techflex for stealthy operation. Also need to have them make a right angle to right angle 1/8" cable to go between the IPA and M10.

Going to try it all out on Friday for Mike Cooley in Denver.

Here are some pics (with and without my windscreens).

Thinking about picking up an external battery for long shows/festies and just to have as a backup power solution. A quick Amazon search brings up this sucker:

https://www.amazon.com/Talentcell-Lithium-Amplifier-Multi-led-indicator/dp/B00MHNQIR2/

A) Will this work? (I know I'll need to make a cable for it).
B) Any better options?

||| PHOTO: Sony a6000 | Sony 16-50 | Sony 55-210 | Rokinon 14mm | Rokinon 8mm |||

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2016, 06:41:06 PM »
I will have a 5V-->12V USB-A to 1.7mm adaptor cable ready in January, that will enable use of any USB battery.

• sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2016, 06:43:35 PM »
I will have a 5V-->12V USB-A to 1.7mm adaptor cable ready in January, that will enable use of any USB battery.

Perfect! I have piles of USB batteries.

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2017, 08:20:03 AM »

Any update on this?
Recording:

Offline ~Jon Stoppable

• Naiant Studio
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2017, 11:32:10 AM »
Not really, that design is done but I'm trying to finish a couple more designs before I order circuit boards.  Hopefully later in the month.

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2017, 11:00:30 AM »
Finally got to run the IPA for the first time after a too long hiatus, for Kamasi Washington. Ran 4v>IPA>right angle mini cable>M10. I was about 30 feet from stage dead center. It sounds like it sounded, very good. Great job Jon!

Sorry I'm not advanced enough to upload it here, but if anyone is so motivated, I'll send a dvd. This might be the best jazz band going.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Taperus Maximus
« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2017, 10:04:14 PM »
Marc, send me a PM and I'lll gladly UL that recording for you ;)

And I am DEF grabbing one of these! For the $$, size and sound quality, you simply can't go wrong! It's basically just a different PFA that actually has gain built into it! I am SOOOO excited to get my 2nd +60v PFA and [4] -12db MPD's back from Mr. Naiant, when he's all finished up with them ;D Then once I get all of that stuff back, I can get an IPA made for 2 channel's! I was thinking about getting a small external preamp for a small 2 channel rig, but like I said, for the $$ and size and SQ, I am just going to get one of these instead! If I pair this with an M10/DR-05/DR-07/etc, it would pretty much be the smallest 2 channel rig possible! mk4's/41's>NBob KCY>IPA>M10 would be a sick lil TINY rig!

Marc, hit me up if you want me to UL that for you buddy ;)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 10:10:36 PM by F.O.Bean »
Tascam DR-70D's ->

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase
« Reply #113 on: February 09, 2017, 09:30:39 AM »
Does anyone know the pin assignments for the XLR output on the IPA? I want to try and make a cable myself and didn't see that information via search here. Thanks for your help.

boa
[Microtech Gefell sms2000/m21 | JB Mod Nakamichi cm300 | AT803b | AT831b]
[Naiant IPA | Aerco mp-2]
[Busman R4 | Busman R44 | Sony M-10 | Tascam DR-05]

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #114 on: February 09, 2017, 04:11:11 PM »
Does anyone know the pin assignments for the XLR output on the IPA?

What do you have planned for the other end of the cable?  Just continuity-tested the XLR > Stereo Mini cable Jon made to go with my IPA.

I don't have a fully functioning setup yet, so can't test directly for + / - / ground.  But if it follows the XLR standards with which I'm familiar (and are noted in SRC's post), and I assume it does, see parenthetical references below.

1 -- Sleeve (ground)
2 -- Tip (+)
3 -- Ring (-)

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase
« Reply #115 on: February 09, 2017, 04:18:43 PM »
That is exactly as I need; XLRf > 1/8 miniplug. Thanks a lot for the help!

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2017, 05:35:35 AM »
Does anyone know the pin assignments for the XLR output on the IPA? I want to try and make a cable myself and didn't see that information via search here. Thanks for your help.

From the product page at naiant.com:

A stereo IPA has the left output on pin 2 and the right output on pin 3 of the XLR-3-M output connector.
(...)
A mono IPA has an impedance-balanced output with signal on pin 2 and an impedance-balancing network on pin 3.

Recordings:

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #117 on: February 16, 2017, 09:38:47 AM »
any update on the external power cable to run the IPA off of a 5v usb battery?
Recording:

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase
« Reply #118 on: February 20, 2017, 09:18:41 PM »
Anyone else using an IPA to power Nakamichi's?

Offline Walstib62

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Archivist-Virginia Key Grassroots Festival
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2017, 07:34:09 AM »
The IPA looks to be a great solution for Nak mics

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2017, 11:07:53 AM »
Chopped 700s>actives>IPA nice!

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2017, 03:27:59 PM »
The IPA looks to be a great solution for Nak mics

I'm debating on whether the presence boost offered in the IPA build would be a good option for use with the Nak 300 capsules.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2017, 06:17:47 PM »
I'm debating on whether the presence boost offered in the IPA build would be a good option for use with the Nak 300 capsules.

I would think you're better off with a stock, flat frequency response IPA and doing any adjustments in post where you have much more control.

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2017, 07:39:03 PM »
I can't speak to the presence box, but with my flat stock version, very flat and neutral, just what I want. Love it.  :headphones:

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2017, 08:53:24 PM »

I would think you're better off with a stock, flat frequency response IPA and doing any adjustments in post where you have much more control.

That is the correct answer. Go Natural. What the hell am I thinking? I guess my mind is drifting while I wait through the IPA build period.

Offline seethreepo

• Taperssection Member
  • Let's Get Small
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2017, 10:08:53 PM »

Any update on this?

Offline SoundHolic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2017, 09:34:26 AM »
My package has just arrived.
This one has "TB3M + minijack for stereo plug-in power" and a spindle.
Here is my setup, B3 > IPA > M10.
# Rigs
Mics: AT U853(Cards, 4.7K mod), Countryman B3(No band, 4.7K mod)
Pres/Power: Naiant IPA, SP-SPSB-10
Decks: Sony PCM-m10

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2017, 02:16:57 PM »

That is the correct answer. Go Natural. What the hell am I thinking? I guess my mind is drifting while I wait through the IPA build period.

Boa, did you get one of these? I have a pair of chopped CM300 (Walstabi) that I would to use with Sony M10. Let me know - if you did - what configuration you choose.  :coolguy:
Currently in use:
Recorders: Edirol R44, Sony M10 & Sony D6
Microphones: Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 (cards) & Nakamichi CM300 (all CP-s)
Preamps: JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b, Chris Church 9200 preamp & Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use

http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Popmarter%22/

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2017, 06:24:06 PM »

Boa, did you get one of these? I have a pair of chopped CM300 (Walstabi) that I would to use with Sony M10. Let me know - if you did - what configuration you choose.  :coolguy:

I picked up a pair of chopped Nak 300's from waistabi.  I also ordered the IPA and some cables to run the mics.  Not sure when they will arrive or when I have a chance to run the rig.

Offline boa

• Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase
« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2017, 09:49:04 PM »

I ordered the IPA with the following requests:

IPA:

Input: stereo TB6M (tinybox format)
Output: XLR & mini-jack (extended case)
Gain: fixed (+18dB)
Pre-emphasis: flat

Cables:

01. Y Input Cable 18" (TA3M (2) > TA6F. To run from each mic to the IPA input)
02. Y Output Cable 18" (XLRF > XLRM (2). To power the IPA via phantom power)
03. Stereo Output Cable 8" (XLRF > 1/8" mini-plug. To run IPA output into 1/8" mini-jack on m-10)

Here are cables #1 & #2:

Here is the IPA setup with cables #1 & #3:

« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 04:15:18 PM by boa »

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2017, 05:38:45 AM »

I ordered the IPA with the following requests:

IPA:

Input: stereo TB6M (tinybox format)
Output: XLR & mini-jack (extended case)
Gain: fixed (+18dB)
Pre-emphasis: flat

Cables:

01. Y Input Cable 18" (TA3M (2) > TA6F. To run from each mic to the IPA input)
02. Y Output Cable 18" (XLRF > XLRM (2). To power the IPA via phantom power)
03. Stereo Output Cable 8" (XLRF > 1/8" mini-plug. To run IPA output into 1/8" mini-jack on m-10)

thanks Boa, I am getting into this and some of it difficult to understand, this will help!
Currently in use:
Microphones: Milab VM-44 Links (cards), AT853 (cards) & Nakamichi CM300 (all CP-s)
Preamps: JK Laboratories DVC-X-17b, Chris Church 9200 preamp & Nakamichi MX-100 modded for 9v battery use

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »

What is that knob on the right, picture IMG_0907-vert.jpg? Is that the spindle? Used for adding gain to the TB3M input?

And the small white is the gain variable (slot) for the minijack next to it?
Currently in use:

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2017, 02:22:27 PM »
Just a quick plug, my kcy IPA is my go to box when I need to get small. Mk41/4v>nbob>IPA>m10 all fits in one cargo pocket.

Offline SoundHolic

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2017, 03:31:42 PM »

What is that knob on the right, picture IMG_0907-vert.jpg? Is that the spindle? Used for adding gain to the TB3M input?

And the small white is the gain variable (slot) for the minijack next to it?

The left hole is a minijack for PIP, the white is a gain spindle, and the right hole is an external power input.
# Rigs
Mics: AT U853(Cards, 4.7K mod), Countryman B3(No band, 4.7K mod)
Pres/Power: Naiant IPA, SP-SPSB-10
Decks: Sony PCM-m10

Offline Popmarter

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #134 on: April 02, 2017, 02:18:11 PM »

I picked up a pair of chopped Nak 300's from waistabi.  I also ordered the IPA and some cables to run the mics.  Not sure when they will arrive or when I have a chance to run the rig.

Which version did you pick?
Currently in use:

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #135 on: April 20, 2017, 11:25:25 AM »
Don't leave your A23 in the IPA between shows, definitely has a significant draw. Luckily I saw the red light with a few minutes to showtime, had to run out to car to switch.  :facepalm:  I'd left it in for about a month between shows, it only had 2-3 hours on it, I usually do two shows on one A23.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 11:27:01 AM by MakersMarc »

Offline gormenghast

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #136 on: April 20, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »
Don't leave your A23 in the IPA between shows, definitely has a significant draw. Luckily I saw the red light with a few minutes to showtime, had to run out to car to switch.  :facepalm:  I'd left it in for about a month between shows, it only had 2-3 hours on it, I usually do two shows on one A23.

Marc, you should do a test for us to see who long those batteries will last  ;D  Last summer I ran them for 3hr shows and didn't use them past that.  Unfortunately, I can't use the batteries in anything else, or find rechargeable if there are any.

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #137 on: April 20, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
I've only been brave enough to go to 6.5 hours or so. Should do a test.

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #138 on: April 20, 2017, 05:15:52 PM »
is there a rechargeable a23 solution?
Recording:

Offline MakersMarc

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #139 on: April 20, 2017, 10:46:31 PM »
Not that I'm aware of. 3.99 a two pack at Home Depot. I'll live with a buck a show.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.758 seconds with 159 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com