Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USB drive for Digital Soundboard  (Read 9165 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
USB drive for Digital Soundboard
« on: May 11, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
I just picked up a thumb drive for being able to patch out of digital soundboards.  Figured I would just leave it in my bag and it may come in handy.  How should I format this thing?  I think a sound guy told me recently that it needed to be FAT32 but I am not sure.  What would be the most universal option; btw i use a mac for editing.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline Life In Rewind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
Re: USB drive for Digital Soundboard
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2016, 09:53:42 AM »
The Behringers want FAT32

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2016, 11:24:40 AM »
It came FAT32 looks like I will just leave it that way.  Thanks...
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline danlynch

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • nyctaper
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2016, 01:09:18 PM »
Behringer only gives you 16/44 two-track wav.
Founder and Host of NYCTaper:  http://www.nyctaper.com

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s
Recorders:  Sound Devices 744t, Edirol R-44 (Oade Concert Mod), Edirol R-05
Pre-Amps, D/A's:  Apogee Mini-Me

My Recordings on Archive.org: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/danlynch

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:12:13 PM »
Perhaps helpful for those encountering the Behringer X32 consoles

http://hmc-soundcheck.blogspot.com/2014/01/recording-on-x32-direct-usb.html

USB recorder defaults to post-fader L/R - which is what you want in most cases.

I think...I read somewhere you can use the P16 Sends to create a special mix for the recording - and route that to the USB.

You can probably even add AUD mics to that mix, I would think...

(P16 is a monitoring system on the X32)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:13:52 PM by Life In Rewind »

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2016, 03:23:29 PM »
I just picked up a thumb drive for being able to patch out of digital soundboards.  Figured I would just leave it in my bag and it may come in handy.  How should I format this thing?  I think a sound guy told me recently that it needed to be FAT32 but I am not sure.  What would be the most universal option; btw i use a mac for editing.

Great idea! I've had an 8gb or 16gb USB Thumb Drive in my bag for about 3 years now! Luke Stratton [Dopapod's Soundguy, before they starting selling their Multitrack sources] used to put the SBD on my thumb drive post show, and then I would sync the SBD from the thumb drive, with my Schoeps AUD mics in WL6 in post! It would only take like 5-10 mins max for Luke to transfer both sets of the SBD source [WAVS@24/48] onto the thumb drive, and its a really old thumb drive, so I bet a newer one would transfer even faster! Cant beat the cheapness and easiness of just tossing one or two into your gear bags :)

Easiest patch ever, right? ;D 8) And yes I agree FAT32 will do the job, so just leave it as it is and do a couple of QUICK FORMATs and you should be good to go! I have mine sealed in tiny pharmacy baggies that only cost like $3/50 or 100, that I use for all of my adapters and stuff! That way your USB Thumb Drive wont get wet if your bag did ever get that soaked, or a zipper got left unzipped, etc :)

Even if you never use the thing, its still worthy of a spot in your bag IMO, because the ONE time that you do need it, you won't have it, happens every time lol ;) And like I said, its the easiest SBD patch EVER!!! No cables or levels or batteries or decks to deal with! Just hand the soundguy a 2" USB Thumb Drive, and you have the whole show in the RAW high res files, back in your hand in 10 minutes 8) Easy peasy!
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2016, 11:36:54 AM »
You can probably even add AUD mics to that mix, I would think...
Yepper, I get my SBD from the X32 via a USB thumb drive as my mics are not set up close enough to the SBD.  Awhile ago the venue added their own aud mics to make their own matrix house mix for recording, and  that's the mix I get on my thumb drive @ 48/16. 

Offline microburst

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • formerly "mcroberts"
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2016, 11:43:22 AM »

Any time I dropped a thumb drive into a Behringer X32 the result was 16/48, 2 tracks.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »

Any time I dropped a thumb drive into a Behringer X32 the result was 16/48, 2 tracks.

On the X32 USB recorder - I think it is limited to 2 channel16 bit recording - you can run the console at 44.1 - but I think most people use 48.

The feed probably defaults to the house L/R mix - but depending on the how cooperative the soundman is he can make special mix for the recording.

The best case scenario is the soundman has 2 extra AUX outs - link those a a stereo pair, and use the Sends On Fader mode to make a nice mix.

Pretty sure there are delay features so - assuming the soundman has a few extra inputs - you could add a pair of stage mics or room mics.

Obviously - a lot of that isn't good for "walk up" taping - but might work out for bands/venues and production crews you work with a lot.

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2016, 01:58:39 PM »
In the venue where I plug into that board, I have mics installed upfront and have cables run back to the board.  I plug in XLR to whatever channels the FOH sends the L/R feed.

Microphones:  Schoeps CCM4Us, Sennheiser MKH-8040s, Neumann KM-150s, Neumann TLM-102s, DPA 4061s

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2016, 02:00:56 PM »
It was suggested to me that frequent USB recordists ask their local sound engineer if the X32's record function can be turned on in the main template, which is typically copied in order to save each band's mix as a separate preset. If the main template does not have recording enabled, the mix engineer will have to take the extra step each time a new program is recalled. In my experience, this does not always occur before the music starts!!!?!  :o

RTFM:

5.16 Recording a 2-track directly with
the console
The X32 offers the possibility to record a 2-track of your mix (or any other
selection of signals) directly onto a USB-stick/external USB hard disk:

Plug a FAT-formatted (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32) USB stick into the USB port
next to the main display.

Press the VIEW button next to the USB port and the home screen of the
recorder will show up with a nice emulation of an old tape deck.

On the config tab you can select the source for the recording, default is
main L and R.

Press RECORD (encoder #5) to record your mix.

To adjust the volume during playback, press the AUX IN / USB FX RETURN
button next to the fader section and adjust the volume with the AUX
7/8 faders.
Remarks:
Due to the FAT format of the stick, the file size will be limited to 2 GB, which is
about 3 hours of stereo recording. Please test the recording capability of your USB
device before you do the "real stuff" as some sticks may not be supported or be
too slow. We also recommend you defragment your USB device prior to recording.
The recording will be done as 16-bit WAV file with the selected sample frequency
of the console.

Please also note that it is possible that the specifications of USB storage devices
may be changed by the manufacturer without any change in physical appearance
or notification.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »
On the X32, USB-stick recording should always be available...the biggest hitch is finding a USB stick that the console will actually like...

The "preset" is more about routing extra analog or digital outputs for recordists...outputs which wont be there if you dont tell the console to do it.

The X32 has 16 outputs - by default 15 and 16 are L/R outputs. Any of the other outs can be set as L/R or AES (I think!) - but some will inevitably be used for monitors....so you gotta hope there are some extras if you want XLR feeds.

There is also something called "Monitor Out" that is a pair of XLRs and also carries the L/R audio...it may have a gain control too.

There are also some RCA outs - and I think these can also be routed to carry a mix...

There is also an AES out - and it defaults to L/R out...

Offline danlynch

• nyctaper
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2016, 09:38:29 PM »

"There is also an AES out - and it defaults to L/R out..."

Oh man, thanks for pointing that out.  I never noticed this.  I could definitely run into the 744t with this and not even has to ask the FOH in my venue to send me the feed.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 10:44:10 PM »
On the X32......

There is also something called "Monitor Out" that is a pair of XLRs and also carries the L/R audio...it may have a gain control too.

I'm not positive about this...I have only patched into an X32 a couple of times.

The soundman plugged me into some XLR outs that gave me L/R full mix.

He gave me a single knob that I could use to adjust the level.  Wow did that sound great.

The problem became when later he was checking single channels......I got what he was hearing, instead of the full mix.

What was I plugged into??  ???
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 01:20:31 AM »
On the X32......

I'm not positive about this...I have only patched into an X32 a couple of times.

The soundman plugged me into some XLR outs that gave me L/R full mix.

He gave me a single knob that I could use to adjust the level.  Wow did that sound great.

The problem became when later he was checking single channels......I got what he was hearing, instead of the full mix.

What was I plugged into??  ???

Sounds like he gave you that Monitor Out, which would be the same thing the sound guy hears in his phones when just listening to the main mix, but also what he hears when he hits the PFL switch on individual channels to check on mics.  It's a different mix than the main out at those moments, as those PFLs wouldn't route to the main outs (thankfully). That would explain having your own volume pot.  I don't know these X units, but on analog boards he could have given you a sub group out instead which would have saved you the PFL interruptions but would have been an extra step for him to route the main mix through to your subgroup.  I don't know if that's possible on this unit or not.  On the analog boards I used to use you couldn't even do that, but had to manually assign each individual active channel to the subgroup feeding the recorder. 
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2016, 09:19:07 AM »

"There is also an AES out - and it defaults to L/R out..."

Oh man, thanks for pointing that out.  I never noticed this.  I could definitely run into the 744t with this and not even has to ask the FOH in my venue to send me the feed.

I've been running this into my Behringer Ultramatch 24/96 SRC to get an analog out for my DR-70D - works like a charm - I pretty sure this is a 24 bit feed - at 44 or 48 depending on how the console is set.

I keep this image handy - (the way ours is set - its hard for me to see the back of the console)

https://media.music-group.com/media/PLM/data/images/products/P0ASF/2000Wx2000H/X32_P0ASF_Rear_XL.png

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 01:03:39 PM »
On the X32, USB-stick recording should always be available...the biggest hitch is finding a USB stick that the console will actually like...
Let me ask.....has anyone using a USB stick on the X32 have the recording file reach the 2GB limit and start a second file seamlessly??  Twice I've had new files created at the 2GB limit and neither was seamless; there was a clear audible gap.  Having recorders that perform this task effortlessly, I was shocked when it happened with the USB stick.  The sound guys I work with are terrific and they stop & restart the USB stick recording @ set break so the 2GB limit doesn't become an issue.   

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 02:35:41 PM »
Just because some routing is defaulted on the x32 doesn't mean that the engineer hasn't loaded his showfile and changed all the routing.

stay away from the monitor outs, that's the solo/pfl bus and will cause you problems when the engineer solos a channel in his headphones

By default, there is nothing assigned to the AES out, you have to get the engineer to assign whatever bus you want to it.

I've spent most of 2015-2016 touring with an x32 and the only thing I use the onboard recorder for is a quick 2 track file so the band can listen on the bus after the show.
it's not terribly reliable, it hates certain brands of USB drives, and can insert diginoise and dropouts if you don't have it formatted correctly.
Multitrack via the FW/usb out + a normal AUD/SBD mix into my DR70D makes sure that every note is recorded throughout the whole tour.  ;D
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:24:37 PM »
You guys were spot on....and thanks Life In Rewind for the link to a picture of the back of the X32.

Thanks voltronic, it surely was him using Pre-Fade Listen (PFL)...yep, I was plugged in to the monitor outs.  Won't do that again.

Patrick, I could use the AES out, but if I have to bother the engineer to get him to assign something to it, would I be better off asking for and using the RCA R/L outs?

Are the AUX OUT RCA's  on the X32 like common "tape outs"?
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com