Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 Battery  (Read 8608 times)

Offline tomy01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Sony PCM-M10 Battery
« on: May 23, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »
Just an opinion - what type of battery would be best for the Sony PCM-M10 - the Duracell Copper Top that you would replace every time for a new concert or something like the Duracell Rechargeable type battery that comes with several AA and AAA batteries plus a mini charger?

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Re: Sony PCM-M10 Battery
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »
I use Duracell's and they last FOREVER. You most certainly won't need to replace them every show. I'd wager I go to about 5-8 shows with a single set of AA's.

Other folks like the rechargeable Enloops batteries. Probably cheaper in the long run to go that route. I probably should buy some. :P
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:12:17 AM »
^ No doubt.  The battery life is so good with quality batteries (either alkaline or rechargeable), that it has made me kind of lazy.  I probably should replace them more frequently than I do.  Not like other recorders I have owned where a switch out was mandatory after every show...

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »
^ No doubt.  The battery life is so good with quality batteries (either alkaline or rechargeable), that it has made me kind of lazy.  I probably should replace them more frequently than I do.  Not like other recorders I have owned where a switch out was mandatory after every show...

I use the silver and green chargeable energizers.  I still charge them every show out of habit, but they last over 15 hours per charge.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 05:49:22 AM »

I use the silver and green chargeable energizers.  I still charge them every show out of habit, but they last over 15 hours per charge.

I also use those 2,300mah Energizer rechargeable AAs, and they lasted me around 18 hrs when doing 2 channel@24-Bit[96k or 44.1k is what I use] using the Line In! GREAT batteries too! I just replaced most of the ones I bought 5+ years ago! I have a nice Maha MHC-9000 charger[the "Break-In" on new batteries is critical IMO], and it lets me know when they are dead for good! Best charger Ive ever owned for AAs/AAAs by FAR! I still have a few of those 5+ yr old ones in use in remotes ;D Just got new ones in the last few months, and I expect them to last for 5+ years too ;D

Those cheap chargers that come with the rechargeable batteries[AAs and AAAs usually] at most chain stores are JUNK, and you're batteries won't be reliable IMO! You never know how much juice is actually in your batteries with those POS chargers, and the MHC-9000 has real time info on the batteries, which those def do NOT! I have used plenty of those and swore them off years ago! My Maha MHC-9000 charger has lasted me well over 10+ years now and no reason not to last another 10+ years, so you should NEVER need to buy another AA/AAA charger! I know $50 is a lot for a charger is some peoples mind, but having RELIABLE batteries is very important to me, and I'm sure you as well ;)

I'd spend the $50 on the Maha MHC-9000 charger
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-MH-C9000-Advanced-Battery-Charger_p_2558.html

And another $23 on these 2,700mah NIMH batteries, and you should be getting 20+ hrs out of just 2xAA's :) And they're LSD[Low Self Discharge] batteries, so that means they'll hold a charge for a long time between charges, so you can use them quickly if you don't have time to charge them before the show 8)
http://www.thomasdistributing.com/20-Maha-Imedion-AA-2400mAh-Rechargeable-Low-Discharge-Batteries-_p_3167.html
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 05:56:28 AM by F.O.Bean »
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Perry

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 11:20:16 AM »
An M10 and a pair of Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries will run 30+ hours. The lithiums are definitely worth the added cost.
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline chinariderstl

• Trade Count: (43)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • https://chris-finn.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 01:11:10 PM »
An M10 and a pair of Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries will run 30+ hours. The lithiums are definitely worth the added cost.

Niiice.  ;D
Mics: Audio-Technica AT853's, Avantone CK-40 (Busman mod), Busman BSC1's, DPA 4022's, DPA 4060's
Pres: Apogee Mini-MP, Core Sound Battery Box
Decks: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
Power: Initial RB-270, Naztech PB15000
LMA: http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Chris+Finn%22

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2016, 10:48:36 AM »

that's what I use.  I've had the same set in for roughly a year.  I don't tape a ton anymore but I would guess I've gotten over 30 hours.  they are just now needing replaced.
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 06:18:11 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
Another vote for the Energizer Ultimate Lithiums.  They're all I ever use in my M10s.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2016, 08:25:58 PM »
There are significant dangers associated with disposal of batteries into our landfills, regardless of chemistry. NiCad was the worst, but Alkaline and Lithium batteries aren't 100% safe either. I can probably dig up 100 posts on taperssection where we've already hashed this out, so please, from the very fucking bottom of my hippie heart, stop using and recommending disposable batteries unless absolutely required. The M10 isn't a DAT deck and you're not recording Spinal Tap's final performance... it doesn't need Lithiums.  :-*

The M10 is unquestionably the single easiest recorder to power ever produced. It simply does not care what batteries are used and will last an entire day on even the most humble NiMH rechargeable batteries. Furthermore, I am unaware of any performance claim that can be made by using a 1.5v nominal voltage.

Use rechargeables.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:33:35 PM by hi and lo »

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 10:40:05 AM »
Rayovac (black, alkaline)    I get about 20 hours on a pair.   You can get them way cheaper than Duracells. 

I hate lithiums in the M10, because they can die on you without warning.  There's no "warning blink" from the battery meter that you get from dying alkalines.  It happened to me once, so I swore I would never use lithiums in it again.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 10:43:44 AM by spyder9 »

Offline cavekelly

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 02:17:45 PM »
I apologize if there is a specific thread, but I do not recall seeing this information.  Can someone explain the intricacies of the M10 battery meter?  I normally change out alkalines once two "segments" have disappeared; is there a time correlation to the segments? And what is this "warning blink" (never seen it) and what does it mean?

ilduclo

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 02:48:34 PM »
I've been using some sets of 2700 mah rechargeables for quite some time, Duracells. Probably 5 years on the oldest set, 3 on the newer ones.  I sometimes replace them between bands, but the rechargeables are the way to go, IMO, if you have more than one or 2 sets, you always have some on hand, and it saves $ and the environment not to be tossing out alkalines.  The battery meter bars to me are just an approximation, I generally try not to go below 50% of the bars, but I won't try to replace them on the fly in the middle of a set if I have at least one bar registered. I haven't seen the low battery flashing, either ;D

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 03:49:53 PM »
I apologize if there is a specific thread, but I do not recall seeing this information.  Can someone explain the intricacies of the M10 battery meter?  I normally change out alkalines once two "segments" have disappeared; is there a time correlation to the segments? And what is this "warning blink" (never seen it) and what does it mean?

My advice to you is to "do a dry run" -- set up your gear and record ambient noise, check every few hours and note where the battery meter is -- since the batteries will eventually run out, this will also give you a good guestimate of total run time.   

FULLY agree with those who suggest rechargables -- unlike previous generation rechargables, which would only hold their charge for a few weeks, the current LSD (low self discharge) NIMH batteries will retain 80%+ of their charge capacity for over a year (and have capacities that are similar to, or frequently exceed, depending on load that of alkaline aa batteries).  I've had no issues using eneloops (made by panasonic and considered by many to be "top tier" rechargables -- see, e.g. https://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BK-3MCCA8BA-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B00JHKSN5I?ie=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0) for entire shows (2 sets plus opener) in my M10 and now run eneloops in virtually every consumer device in my house that requires aa batteries (and experience charge to charge runtimes equal or greater than alkaline aas) -- with a 2100 cycle lifetime, suspect my eneloops will easily outlive me -- Coupled with the lacross bc700 charger, one would have a bulletproof charging system that, even if used exclusively for powering an M10 would pay for itself after a few shows. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com