Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Settings for CA-Ugly II and Edirol R-09 + R-09HR  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Jeremy Lykins

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Settings for CA-Ugly II and Edirol R-09 + R-09HR
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2016, 12:49:58 PM »
That jazz concert that I taped was part of the Sunflower Music Festival, which is actually a chamber music festival (with the one night of jazz) and the whole thing is free.  I've only gone to the jazz concert in the past but last night I decided to go and try out a different seat in the venue since I've only taped from the front.  Well, when I got there my usual spot was open and I couldn't resist, so back up front it was.  I don't know if any of you like classical music, but I uploaded it to etree and TTD since it turned out pretty good.

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=587103
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126560

Offline andante

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2016, 05:59:31 PM »
^ I think it turned out really nice, especially for  >:D  Really enjoyed the Tchaikovsky: Souvenir de Florence
Gutbucket as well as some of the guys over on Team Classical can provide much better criticism/feedback, but I think the balance worked as well could be expected with collar-mounted omnis.  BTW, there's also a multi-volume Team Jazz thread with a long history of excellent posts.  Gutbucket, voltronic and the other guys there have forgotten more about recording acoustic instruments than I'll probably ever learn.

I've had good luck using google (it's faster) to search this forum for answers to specific questions. 

Example: "microphone placement classical site:taperssection.com"

https://www.google.com/search?q=distance+classical+site%3Ataperssection.com&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=microphone+placement+classical+site:taperssection.com

Offline meursault

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2023, 02:03:21 AM »
I want to reduce the size of my portable set. From pcm-m10 and CA-9100 to pcm-a10 and CA-ugly2.
If you don't mind, I need some information of how to use it. In 9100 there is only one knob for gain from 0 to 20db.
Ugly2 has the gain options (easy to understand) and the volume knob. What does the knob do?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2023, 10:16:34 AM »
The large knob is the primary stereo gain control, similar to the gain potentiometer of the 9100 except rather than being infinitely variable it features detents corresponding to specific gain intervals.  It is a gross, over-all gain control, the easily adjustable one you will change when recording louder or quieter events.

The two trimmer pots are infinitely variable and are used to precisely gain match the two channels - useful when the microphones have slightly different sensitivities.  The posts can also be used in combination to alter the overall gain range through the preamp, changing the gain associated with the detents of the large.  They range from muted signal (fully counterclockwise) to full gain (fully clockwise).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2023, 12:18:19 PM »
I want to reduce the size of my portable set. From pcm-m10 and CA-9100 to pcm-a10 and CA-ugly2.
If you don't mind, I need some information of how to use it. In 9100 there is only one knob for gain from 0 to 20db.
Ugly2 has the gain options (easy to understand) and the volume knob. What does the knob do?

For what it's worth, I reduced the size of my rig by sending my Sony PCM M10 to Doug Oade and having him replace the built-in preamplifier chip with a chip that outperforms my beloved Church preamps. Now I just run mic in and with only a battery box instead of a preamp.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2023, 12:20:10 PM by unidentified »

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2023, 08:26:56 PM »

For what it's worth, I reduced the size of my rig by sending my Sony PCM M10 to Doug Oade and having him replace the built-in preamplifier chip with a chip that outperforms my beloved Church preamps. Now I just run mic in and with only a battery box instead of a preamp.

What mod is that?
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2023, 07:13:28 AM »

What mod is that?

https://www.oade.com/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&keyword=M10

Offline meursault

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 10:33:43 AM »
The large knob is the primary stereo gain control, similar to the gain potentiometer of the 9100 except rather than being infinitely variable it features detents corresponding to specific gain intervals.  It is a gross, over-all gain control, the easily adjustable one you will change when recording louder or quieter events.

The two trimmer pots are infinitely variable and are used to precisely gain match the two channels - useful when the microphones have slightly different sensitivities.  The posts can also be used in combination to alter the overall gain range through the preamp, changing the gain associated with the detents of the large.  They range from muted signal (fully counterclockwise) to full gain (fully clockwise).

So if i understand right, if my mics behave the same I must set both blue pots to the max and then play with the large knob. Correct?

Offline meursault

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2023, 10:34:49 AM »

It would be great if the mod saved us from carrying the battery box

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 11:50:04 AM »
So if i understand right, if my mics behave the same I must set both blue pots to the max and then play with the large knob. Correct?

Yes, that's your starting point.  If you find you need to somewhat reduce levels at particular detent settings of the large knob to best fit your typical recording scenarios, you can reduce overall gain for all large knob settings by turning both of the small trimmer pots down by the same amount.  You will probably want to carefully monitor levels on a meter when doing that so as not to unbalance the image as the trimmer adjustments are sensitive (and also non-linear across their range).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline unidentified

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 04:15:29 PM »

It would be great if the mod saved us from carrying the battery box

True that, but the battery box is a lot smaller than either the Church 9200 or the Ugly II pre-amps I have been using for years.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.089 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com