Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What happened to the Naiant pre-amp boxes (Tinybox, Littlebox)?  (Read 8509 times)

Offline su6oxone

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
So bummed to see that they're no longer made per the Naiant website.  What a shame, I loved my old Tinybox v1.0 (should have held onto it even when I quit taping).  It gave me my favorite, low-profile (for stealth and open) setup.  Jon (I see he still posts here but I couldn't send him a PM), did you get bored with the boxes?  Not worth the time/effort?  Hope you bring the boxes back someday.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
Re: What happened to the Naiant pre-amp boxes (Tinybox, Littlebox)?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 01:24:11 AM »
So bummed to see that they're no longer made per the Naiant website.  What a shame, I loved my old Tinybox v1.0 (should have held onto it even when I quit taping).  It gave me my favorite, low-profile (for stealth and open) setup.  Jon (I see he still posts here but I couldn't send him a PM), did you get bored with the boxes?  Not worth the time/effort?  Hope you bring the boxes back someday.

He has PMs blocked and prefers to conduct business by email. Shoot him one, the address may be in his profile here (don't recall offhand) and it is available on his website.

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 07:25:49 AM »
In response to one of the numerous requests he has received to make more boxes...

Well first I have the IPA, which can support any low-voltage or active capsule at half the price of a tinybox and generally much less fuss.  Second, tinybox was not selling that well at EOL.  Sure there would be pent up demand after a couple of years off the market, then it would be back to the same low volume as before, probably even lower as the IPA wouldn't go away and in the meantime small P48 recorders are cheaper than a tinybox used to be.  tinybox was also really time consuming to build and required a large inventory of parts.  My inventory is half what it was three years ago and my overall sales haven't dropped.  I don't see the business case for a tinybox anymore.

I'd rather focus on future-oriented products like a configurable digital microphone interface.  As with the IPA, that offers multiple product formats on the input and output side with a single development effort, and the parts stock has a large overlap with the IPA.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 05:53:27 PM »
In response to one of the numerous requests he has received to make more boxes...

Thanks!

Offline Nigel Tufnel

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 07:19:27 PM »
Check out this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176836.0;topicseen

When I saw photos of SxPxDxCx and gormenghast's setups, it seems like a very flexible solution.

Offline su6oxone

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:02:52 AM »
Check out this thread:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176836.0;topicseen

When I saw photos of SxPxDxCx and gormenghast's setups, it seems like a very flexible solution.

Thanks, looks like a reasonable alternative, although I do prefer the tinybox to the IPA (especially design/form factor).

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 04:31:42 PM »
couple of ideas:

Jon would you consider selling your tinybox design to someone like sound professionals, they might bite.

Also recently I priced out assembled boards from itead and shenzhen, and the assembly costs were not that bad, in volume it might work out for you. Plus they source all the parts from standard suppliers so you would not need to stock parts, order, etc.

I agree about the tinybox form factor, it was great.

(why was I inquiring about assembly? - stay tuned for the 6 channel altoids mixer)

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 08:36:18 PM »
My overall sales are up, profitability is up, and inventory is way down.

This is awesome to hear, Jon. Happy to hear about vendor success stories.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline MakersMarc

• 😈
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 11:32:29 AM »
Really looking forward to playing with the IPA. I can't believe I used to carry 4011s, ad2k, portadat, and 12 volts around. 50 pounds plus. Now two sets of caps, two nbobs, an nbox, an IPA and PFA, a 661 and an m10 in my bag, ten pounds. Tiny is awesome. :D
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Jarts don't kill people!
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2016, 12:25:27 PM »
su6oxone, not sure if it makes you feel any better but the CCM4 > Tinybox v1.0 > M10 I bought from psychoarts is in my possession.  It is still in the family.   :guitarist:
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline willndmb

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 10:13:31 PM »
The only function that tinybox had that the IPA doesn't is P48, which is obsolete anyway because you can buy a P48 input recorder for less than the cost of a P48 tinybox.  If that's what you want, it's past time to find a more compact solution.
out of curiosity, what p48 recorders do you feel sound as good or better then your products did/do?
For my ears, I have not found anything that is as good as a tb > m10. Close but not equal or better and def not as compact.
Thanks for your opinion
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com