Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound devices PIX-LR?  (Read 3441 times)

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sound devices PIX-LR?
« on: July 23, 2016, 12:47:52 PM »
I know this is geared toward video, but would this work as a standalone preamp?  Has xlr ins and outs.  But it's unclear, to me at least, if this can be used alone or if it has to be used with the video monitor.

2-channel preamp for $400

http://www.videodevices.com/download/guides/PIX-LRug_en.pdf

Pristine Audio Quality

The PIX-LR features high-performance microphone preamplifiers designed by Sound Devices, LLC, a company renowned for producing innovative, award-winning audio equipment for professional sound mixers. The PIX-LR also comes equipped with superior quality limiters to prevent distortion due to excessively loud sounds, as well as high-pass filters for reducing unwanted low frequencies like wind noise. With such a wide dynamic range and superb limiters built-in, the PIX-LR ensures crisp, noise-free, audio every time.

The PIX-LR enhances the recording experience by adding I/O flexibility and intuitive features, such as hyper-accurate, 23-segment LED metering with limiter indicators. There are two extremely low noise, wide gain XLR analog inputs. Both mic/line-level inputs may be stereo linked, with or without pan, and support 48V phantom power for use with condenser mics. There are also two XLR balanced analog outputs, ideal for low noise, long cable runs.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: Sound devices PIX-LR?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 01:09:17 PM »

The manual is not really clear about how it functions if not connected to the PIX unit with the multi pin connector. Seems most of the functions are set and viewed on the screen of the PIX unit itself.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline tedyun

• Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 05:46:35 PM »
There's no indication of an external DC or battery compartment, so it probably has to be connected to the PIX-E unit to draw power through the multi-connector.
Mics: B&K 4011, Schoeps MK5 (Nbobs, Naiant PFA), Busman BSC-1 (K11/K21/K31/K41 caps), Church CA-14 (o, c), Church CAFS, Core Sound Binaurals
Pre: EAA PSP-2,  Lunatec V3, Nbox-Platinum, Church CA-9200
ADC: Mytek 192 ADC, Oade Mod SBM-1
Rec: Oade Supermod PMD-661, Tascam DR60D, M-Audio MicroTrack II, Korg MR-1 (32GB SSD mod); Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R09HR; iRiver HP-120
Photo: Canon 5D3, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8, Canon EF 35mm f1.4L Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L MkI, Canon EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS MkI, Canon EF 50 mm f1.4, Canon EF 50 f1.2L, Canon EF 300 f/4L IS, Canon EF 100-400 f4-5.6L IS MkI
Video: Canon HF100

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »
That's what I was thinking too.  It's too bad, this loos almost perfect for the Tascam 70d

Offline KOG

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 02:31:51 AM »
The PIX-LR only works with the PIX-E recorders.  It will only record sound when it is receiving a video signal.  But as a combo, it can record up to 8 channels of audio whether it's from the XLR's, line input, or from the HDMI or SDI connections
Peluso Cemc-6 | DPA 2011c | DPA 4017B | DPA 4018C | Sanken CS-1e | Sanken CS-3e  | SD 552 | Oade Super mod PMD661 mkII | Tascam DR-70D
DigiGal AES/SPDIF cable | GAKables

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 12:46:33 PM »
From Sound Devices:

The PIX-LR is a PIX-E accessory and does need to be connected to a PIX-E monitor to function. However, the PIX-LR can take in signal from 48V mics and pass it out of the XLRs to other recorders that can receive a line level signal.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »
From Sound Devices:

The PIX-LR is a PIX-E accessory and does need to be connected to a PIX-E monitor to function. However, the PIX-LR can take in signal from 48V mics and pass it out of the XLRs to other recorders that can receive a line level signal.

The thing is, you need access to the menu to activate 48V phantom, and that requires the PIX-E.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Colin Liston

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 04:29:32 PM »
Unfortunately, this has to be used with the PIX-E monitor.

Clarification from Sound Devices:

"The PIX-LR receives its power through a proprietary connection between a PIX-E monitor. The PIX-LR cannot function in any way without being connected to a PIX-E monitor. "

Oh well....

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com