Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Battery box or preamp  (Read 4906 times)

Offline one8ung

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
Battery box or preamp
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:32:48 PM »
I'm taping with an roland r-05 recorder and church audio ca-11 mics... do i have enough on the ugly battery box or is a preamp recommend?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 04:34:43 PM by one8ung »
Mics: Countryman B3 - DPA 4061

Power: CA-UBB

Recorders: Tascam DR-2d (4x)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Battery box or preamp
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 06:14:18 PM »
I don't have any experience with the Roland, but, from what I have read here, the internal pre-amps are comparable to the M10, which I have used extensively. So, that caveat in mind, I would say battery box mic-in for quiet to moderate shows and battery box line-in for moderate to loud shows should be fine. If you record a lot of really quiet stuff, and find you are getting noise, an external pre might help.

Offline boyacrobat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 12:24:16 AM »
do i have enough on the ugly battery box or is a preamp recommend?

you have enough because ugly is also a pre amp with trim vol controls
it also provides enough power to mics 9-5v
r05 mic in without ugly is around 2-3v only
not enough really

so just plug ugly out into r05 line in
avoid using mic in on r05 rec when using ugly

basically you have everything you need
happy captures

g

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 09:49:12 AM »
^ careful, Church-Audio makes several "UGLY" products-
1) a battery box (9V mic power only, no buffer/preamp)
2) a preamp (9V mic power + signal buffer/gain-stage; the current version is CA-UGLY2, with ~ -5-40 dB of gain, via individual channel trim-pots and a 6-position rotary-switch; previous CA-UGLY1 version provided ~ -5-20dB gain, via individual channel trim-pots only, and no level switching)

Do this-
I don't have any experience with the Roland, but, from what I have read here, the internal pre-amps are comparable to the M10, which I have used extensively. So, that caveat in mind, I would say battery box mic-in for quiet to moderate shows and battery box line-in for moderate to loud shows should be fine. If you record a lot of really quiet stuff, and find you are getting noise, an external pre might help.

Stated another way- If when using a batterybox you can't get appropriate levels on the R-05 with the recorder's input gain set to a comfortable spot within it's usable range of settings, a preamp can help raise the level of the signal prior to the recorder, allowing you to use lower input gain settings on the R-05.  I don't know what the appropriate input level ranges and other settings are for the R-05, refer to the threads on that recorder for specifics.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 09:54:50 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline earmonger

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 20-20000 Hz
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:00:10 PM »
A battery box should be sufficient for anything amplified--probably through Line-in. Mic-in and battery box should handle the quietest stuff.

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 01:48:02 PM »
Anyone know where I can purchase the Cable that goes from a 9200 PreAmp to my DR 100MKII REcorder?
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 01:53:08 PM »
post some pics

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:28:35 PM »
Anyone know where I can purchase the Cable that goes from a 9200 PreAmp to my DR 100MKII REcorder?

Assuming you plan to use the Line2 input on the DR 100, you simply need a stereo patch cable terminated with an 1/8" stereo-miniplug (AKA 3.5mm TRS plug) at each end, which you can buy pretty much anywhere.  Most users here prefer right-angle (RA) plugs at both ends for those cables because they don't "stick out" awkwardly like straight plugs, which reduces stress on the jacks and makes for a more compact kit with the wire exiting and entering parallel to each device instead of perpendicular to them.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:32:34 PM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 02:42:00 PM »
Papaphunk,

Please don't double-post the same question in separate threads, it just clutters things up and makes for wasted work on the part of those answering, thanks.

Assuming you plan to use the Line2 input on the DR 100, you simply need a stereo patch cable terminated with an 1/8" stereo-miniplug (AKA 3.5mm TRS plug) at each end, which you can buy pretty much anywhere.  Most users here prefer right-angle (RA) plugs at both ends for those cables because they don't "stick out" awkwardly like straight plugs, which reduces stress on the jacks and makes for a more compact kit with the wire exiting and entering parallel to each device instead of perpendicular to them.

Anyone know where I can purchase the connection cable between the 9200 PreAmp and my Recording Unit ?

You can buy an 1/8th inch to 1/8th inch cable just about anywhere nowadays. What is the input on your device? If you need a stereo mini (output of preamp) to RCA/TRS/XLR you can buy those kinds of cables at any Guitar Center.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:56:24 PM by Gutbucket »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com