Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: metal detectors at the door  (Read 9295 times)

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
Re: metal detectors at the door
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2017, 10:52:35 AM »
I was wanded at a Gillian Welch concert last month, a first for me. I haven't seen any airport style metal detectors at concerts, not to say they don't use them, but it would have to be a pretty big event to justify the cost. Presumably they know what a recorder looks like so if it sets off the detector you'll have to take your gear back to your car. My cell phone didn't set off the wand, so the sensitivity is probably fairly low. OTOH if they are just looking for knives and guns maybe they don't care about small electronics. I don't stealth, so I'm not trying to get around the detectors, YMMV.

They have them at the Warfield in SF.  Less than 3,000 seat theater.  Not a big event, used for all shows.

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2017, 03:10:15 PM »
They generally won't mess with females.  My friend wears a big belt buckle.  All I'll say about that.

This summer I just held the gear in my hands as they wanded me thru--must have been a Jedi mind thing.

Last show I went to this summer they didn't even wand.  They did send some folks away because their chair was too high  :facepalm:
A lot of people run a race to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts, who can punish himself into exhausting pace, and then at the end, punish himself even more.

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2017, 03:32:53 PM »
They generally won't mess with females.  My friend wears a big belt buckle.  All I'll say about that.

This summer I just held the gear in my hands as they wanded me thru--must have been a Jedi mind thing.

Last show I went to this summer they didn't even wand.  They did send some folks away because their chair was too high  :facepalm:

Last summer I was first in line at a shed show with my gear in a photography backpack (open taping show). I laid it on the table, opened it up, the girl went through it with a fine tooth comb, all good. Couple of minutes later, the gates swung open. Picked up my pack and started walking in and all of a sudden she yells "no backpacks"!!!  I just shot her a look and kept on walking. Half the time these people don't know what they are doing
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2017, 04:24:49 PM »
MSG has walk-through metal detectors.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2017, 06:53:06 PM »
MSG has walk-through metal detectors.

and wands but they can still be beaten.  It's all about knowing the soft spot in their security.  Obviously that is not posted publicly.

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2017, 07:31:57 PM »
I've walked right through airport style metal detectors with my Schoeps rig and don't beep (my cell phone and keys always go into a tray) on the way out once I walked back through with keys/phone and it went off)  They ain't looking for us with these things, they're looking for a certain mass of certain metals which would imply weapon...most gear these days (except maybe an SD unit) should go in no problem. key is know your rig and know what might set it off, and change out that piece of gear.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2017, 07:45:12 PM by mountaintaper »

Offline zeus163

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2017, 12:22:06 AM »
My Schoeps rig has set off the walk through airport metal detector both times I've gone through. I've changed my rig slightly since the last time I was at this venue though, so maybe when I'm back I'll find out if that made any changes.

I was completely shocked the first time I walked up and noticed the "new toy" the venue was using. I definitely had to improvise.
Kangol wearing fool...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.058 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com