Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Recording from front row...or close to?!  (Read 23847 times)

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Recording from front row...or close to?!
« Reply #45 on: March 27, 2017, 12:42:24 PM »
and it's "though", not "thought".

You obviously can't teach me how to get a great sounding tape, but at least you can help me improve my english a bit. Thank you.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 04:44:08 PM by fandelive »
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #46 on: March 27, 2017, 01:26:14 PM »
how can a show recorded from the front row sound "distant"?

This is a total newbie question.

And it shows.  ;)
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2017, 11:55:06 PM »
Dude you have long since demonstrated suspect hearing.

um, sure, whatever.

would I want ALL of my recordings from the front row?

NO, because it's a 'different' kind of sound....but if you dig McCready as much as I (and others) do, this show is a treasure.

"front row sound" depends *where* in the front row you are....and even moreso the *size* of the venue. (at least in my experience)

which leads into.....

And it shows.  ;)

not at all.

first, this recording is NOT 'distant' sounding; not in the slightest. 

so posing that "question" in regards to such is utterly asinine.

if anything, it sounds like you're right in McCready's amp, yet with all of the other instruments (including vox) adequately represented. (the bassline in "Elderly Woman", you can hear the "bum  bum  bum" of the notes Jeff is playing, Stone is right there (strumming the acoustic), the drums are snappy, and Eddie is loud and clear)

it's so clear you can hear Mikey's fingers drag on the strings ("Nothing As It Seems" is a perfect example of such, listen to how his lead guitar cuts right thru the ambient noise, and the textures that result from said taping position)

this *directly correlates* to my position, that being right in front of Mike.

maybe I should have clarified "how can someone say *this particular* front row recording sounds 'distant'"?

yeah, I have front row recordings where there can be a 'distant' sound, and that location is DFC in an arena or stadium. all drums, little guitar, and the PA above head.

when to the left or the right, a distant sound *for Luther only* on my Tacoma '10 Crowes recording. Rich is 'in your face', and Luther sounds 'far away', but that's it. all the other members are plenty loud.

Reno '96 Crowes is another (front row, right in front of Marc)....it's ALL Marc, and very little Rich (the panning during "Black Moon Creeping" makes this quite clear)

but Seattle '96, 4 nights later, front row, Rich's side (in the corner), and it was ***perfectly balanced***

so, back to my original point....how can anyone say this PJ '00 Nawlins show sounds 'distant'.

if one concludes that, then clearly they have the hearing problem.

and it shows.
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2017, 05:57:09 PM »

And it shows.  ;)

Maybe it was the last row?

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=587758

Recorded & transferred by: Steve "ballsdeep" Hagar
Mastered by: Dennis Orr

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2017, 09:08:33 PM »
So defensive!  :tomato:

I mean, if you really want to hear the guitar, just run an IEM feed. Then you don't get the "OH MY DOUBLE FUCKING GOD" from the front row nuts like on the sample I listened to.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2017, 09:24:28 PM »

I mean, if you really want to hear the guitar, just run an IEM feed. Then you don't get the "OH MY DOUBLE FUCKING GOD" from the front row nuts like on the sample I listened to.

Running IEM requires a bit of dough and technical abilities though  ;D

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2017, 10:31:32 PM »

Running IEM requires a bit of dough and technical abilities though  ;D

It is a little trickier than running internal mics.

Although somebody running 4 sets of recorders all with internal mics should be able to pull it off.
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2017, 01:04:06 AM »

Although somebody running 4 sets of recorders all with internal mics should be able to pull it off.

Seriously? Someone with four decks, and no mics, is going to spend the time to align all 4/8 tracks, assuming everything goes perfect? The value of my time is worth more than a cheap mic pair, with one deck (much less than the cost of four decks alone). Even if you get pristine pulls, if you do not spend the time in post, you gain nothing.

I do not expect to change your mind, after at least four years: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=160873.0, but that method is far from ethical, and not related to the topic.
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2017, 10:35:49 AM »

Seriously? Someone with four decks, and no mics, is going to spend the time to align all 4/8 tracks, assuming everything goes perfect? The value of my time is worth more than a cheap mic pair, with one deck (much less than the cost of four decks alone). Even if you get pristine pulls, if you do not spend the time in post, you gain nothing.

It sounds much better if you run it through a Kenwood home stereo for EQ. That's all the post production you need!

Offline admkrk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm an idiot
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 02:37:59 AM »
It sounds much better if you run it through a Kenwood home stereo for EQ. That's all the post production you need!
Are you saying that all the tracks magically align themselves? Granted, I know nothing about IEM, other than the what I read from the other link I found doing a Google search, but how can you possibly mix 4 sources without spending time in post?
"the faster you go ahead, the behinder you get"

"If you can drink ram's piss, fuck, you can drink anything"

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 11:24:36 AM »
Are you saying that all the tracks magically align themselves? Granted, I know nothing about IEM, other than the what I read from the other link I found doing a Google search, but how can you possibly mix 4 sources without spending time in post?

I'm being VERY sarcastic, as furburger frequently talks about running four Tascam 2D recorders with internal mics.

In regards to IEM recordings, yes there's a lot of post-production work that goes into mixing and making a final product. Multitrack recorders help a lot (as you can imagine).

Offline furburger

• Taperssection All-Star
  • UH-LASS-KUH
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2017, 04:45:54 AM »

And it shows.  ;)

Maybe it was the last row?

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-details.php?id=587758

Recorded & transferred by: Steve "ballsdeep" Hagar
Mastered by: Dennis Orr

and even that one came out sounding fine.

same with my Ann Wilson show.

IEM's suffer from dropouts, and an even more elitist "traders circle" than the dattitudes of the '90's.

one mans trash (screams: you) is another mans treasure (screams: memories for me)

I actually prefer the 'flavor' of occasional crowd noise to that of sterile mic-stand recordings.

to each their own.....

I'm being VERY sarcastic, as furburger frequently talks about running four Tascam 2D recorders with internal mics.

? ? ? ? ?

I just acquired my 3rd DR-2D in Feb, *though I do have 4 decks*, I usually run the 2 Tascams with internals either from the balcony or onstage, sometimes one with the Sonics. then there's a Zoom h4 and an Edirol R-09....which can be placed in different areas or used as backup.

I would dig having 4 DR-2D's and running all of them though.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:51:57 PM by Brian Skalinder »
-------------
people who are fans of the music, they LOVE what I document and capture...people who are fans of themselves....not so much.

Offline hoserama

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 10:38:46 AM »
all business during shows unless I'm doing patch-outs from a soundboard and things are running fine. Not a mic-stand taper myself (generally specialize in the wireless taping field) but would certainly do it if that yielded the best result at a particular show.

Sorry--misread your previous posts. Erroneously equated "taped with four decks" to "taped with four Tascam 2D internals". So you just place the decks and specific places around the venue and then pick up later, and then listen to the general best one?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:52:25 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
Sounds like you make tapes that you love. Good going.  :coolguy:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:52:46 PM by Brian Skalinder »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2017, 09:43:01 PM »
For sure.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 06:53:01 PM by Brian Skalinder »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com