Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA 2012 & 2015  (Read 1643 times)

zatanax and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • recordings
Re: DPA 2012 & 2015
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2024, 09:45:32 AM »

So, sounds like you feel they may not be ideal for our purposes of field recording at a distance from the stage?

https://archive.org/details/sci2023-07-30/sci2023-07-30_set1t06.flac

This was 160' back from the stage (where they had me set up at soundbaord). ORTF @ 7'

I'd say they handled just peachy at a distance.

The review of the show is interesting and germaine to this discussion

HA!!!! Just saw it was the thread starter. Well how 'bout them apples.  :banging head: :banging head: :banging head: :banging head:

Yes, I really like that SCI show.  Just hoping for more variety before making a commitment.  Plus, you had them running through a MiniMe, which likely adds some flavor.  Just like the 2015's, only used in the same small venues in Nebraska.  I guess they have not caught on in our community much yet.  Coming from nbob active setups, I really like the small form factor of these DPA mics, along with their price (vs. the top line mics).

I’ll work on doing some stuff into the dr100, sans mini-me!
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Online grawk

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2024, 09:50:16 AM »
a better preamp won’t make a microphone better in a situation that isn’t right for it. I think you’re just over thinking things. Most people haven’t adopted the 201xs because most people don’t want to invest $2000 in microphones they haven’t heard used, just like you. You lose out on the ability to run active cables and different caps, but get a good reliable microphone for situations you can run on a stand.
4015gs/4018vlgs/kk14->mma:a d-vice/sd 552/sonosax sx-m2d2/nagra vi/lectrosonics spdr

Offline mterry

• Trade Count: (10)
    • recordings
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2024, 12:28:20 PM »
You lose out on the ability to run active cables and different caps, but get a good reliable microphone for situations you can run on a stand.

This is about it. I didn’t want to track down actives at the same price (because that’s just a weird price range), I love the DPA sound, and to get the mics for $1700 out the door brand new seemed like a great option (and interest free with sweet water). I can run them FOB just fine, and they are very small. durable. and to me, work great with my
mini me.

ill never stealth anything, so that ruled out a lot. took a risk on them. but its not like DPA would put out some hot garbage.
"That's deplorable, unfathomable, improbable!"

"Then we played Davidson, and they wore us out. Davidson controlled us - other than Kentucky - as well as any team all year long"
- Bill Self on PTI (2/28/11)

DPA 2012 > Apogee Mini-Me > Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2024, 02:07:25 PM »

marking thread for that minime prelove

use 24/48 and the soft knee and never look back, man  :coolguy: :headphones:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com