Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 6785 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (26)
  • Needs to get out more...
Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« on: February 14, 2017, 07:34:17 AM »
Tascam DR-70D Product Page
Reference Manual
Tested Media List (using a card from this list is strongly recommended)

DR-70D FAQ (includes recommended settings, hardware info, list of known issues, etc.)
Modification Discussion Thread

Previous discussion threads:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
DPA 4061 | Line Audio CM3 | Naiant X-Q
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24
Tascam DR-70D JWMod | Sony PCM-M10

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 07:28:32 PM »
With firmware 1.14 and tested media, this machine is great.

Unfortunately, with such a small list of tested media, approved cards are already becoming unavailable.

B&H and Amazon show the 32GB Panasonic RP-SDUC32GAK as unavailable.

Think about what's happened to the PCM-M10, and stock up on cards. I am going to buy the only 128 that works while I still can.

Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline voltronic

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
With firmware 1.14 and tested media, this machine is great.

Unfortunately, with such a small list of tested media, approved cards are already becoming unavailable.

B&H and Amazon show the 32GB Panasonic RP-SDUC32GAK as unavailable.

Think about what's happened to the PCM-M10, and stock up on cards. I am going to buy the only 128 that works while I still can.

It looks like the firmware is not getting updated anymore; last update was 8 months ago.  1.14 is solid, but it would have been nice if Tascam could have implemented the usability fixes we've been hoping for.

About cards: Amazon is not very reliable source.  There are countless stories out there of people getting fakes, and the fakes are getting really hard to spot.

The only way you can be sure you're getting legit SD cards are to buy from a vendor that's on the SD card manufacturer's authorized vendor list.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.    ///    If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music.
- Gustav Mahler

Offline morst

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:23:47 AM »
are there reports of counterfeit cards in amazon's "frustration-free" packaging? I would be pretty frustrated if I got a fake from them!  :-\
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline voltronic

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 02:58:26 PM »
are there reports of counterfeit cards in amazon's "frustration-free" packaging? I would be pretty frustrated if I got a fake from them!  :-\

Maybe that's the safe way to go, then you know it's actually coming from Amazon.  The reports I've read of fakes may very well have all been third-parties who sold through Amazon.

I also see that Amazon is an authorized dealer for SanDisk, but again be sure you're really buying from them.
https://www.sandisk.com/about/where-to-buy
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline morst

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 03:13:24 PM »
I also see that Amazon is an authorized dealer for SanDisk, but again be sure you're really buying from them.
thank you! I actually ordered a cosmetically-damaged one that had been previously returned, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow from "Amazon Warehouse Deals."

I will definitely be skeptical, and make efforts to verify the serial number before I trust that the card is as-labeled!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 04:47:40 PM »
thank you! I actually ordered a cosmetically-damaged one that had been previously returned, and it's supposed to arrive tomorrow from "Amazon Warehouse Deals."

I will definitely be skeptical, and make efforts to verify the serial number before I trust that the card is as-labeled!

See, that could be sketchy.  Given its questionable provenance, I would also run it through a capacity test (H2Testw or FakeFlashTest) and also a read/write benchmark (Crystal Disk Mark).  Fake cards are usually lying about one or both of those things.

All of these utilities can be found here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=176802.0
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline morst

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 08:30:27 PM »
See, that could be sketchy.  Given its questionable provenance, I would also run it through a capacity test (H2Testw or FakeFlashTest) and also a read/write benchmark (Crystal Disk Mark).  Fake cards are usually lying about one or both of those things.
Aha!

ANOTHER very good point. Thanks, Volt! We must be thorough!

Maude: Here's the name and number of a doctor who will look at it for you. You will receive no bill. He's a good man, and thorough.

Offline morst

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 03:53:30 PM »
The inner package was a sealed envelope with a bar code and an Amazon logo sticker. Inside that was an SD card in a small ziploc bag. The label looks correct and I guess the sticker had some gunk on it that the previous buyer didn't like?

Tests out OK on speed via black magic (write 75gb/s, read 87) , I have not done a brute capacity test (fill it up!) or run the windows utilities yet, but I just started creating a 120GB disk image on it...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 04:01:29 PM by morst »

Online goodcooker

• Trade Count: (22)
  • goes to 11
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 08:08:50 AM »

Only 61 hours of record time left on that puppy!

Man, things sure have changed since I was sweating changing out mini discs...
AKG CK1x > tinybox > DR60d
JBmod Nak300 > battbox > MR1

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City

"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:44:46 AM »

Only 61 hours of record time left on that puppy!

Man, things sure have changed since I was sweating changing out mini discs...

QFMFT. On my MZ-R70 you also had to swap in a fresh AA with every mini disk......
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-70D

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (117)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:37:21 PM »
The inner package was a sealed envelope with a bar code and an Amazon logo sticker. Inside that was an SD card in a small ziploc bag. The label looks correct and I guess the sticker had some gunk on it that the previous buyer didn't like?

Tests out OK on speed via black magic (write 75gb/s, read 87) , I have not done a brute capacity test (fill it up!) or run the windows utilities yet, but I just started creating a 120GB disk image on it...

I bought that exact card from Amazon through SanDisk and I got mine in the original packaging and it came it MINT condition! Yours looks a lil beat up to me? But Ive EASILY run battery tests for over 150+ hours on the new 128gb that I just got for XMas, and its been NOTHING BUT 100% RELIABLE! I have ONLY been using my 128 & 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards! I still have a 32gb PNY Card that has worked flawlessly too, but I feel MUCH more comfortable and have more peace of mind since switchimng over to the SanDisk Extreme Pro's!

And FWIW, I would ONLY buy through Amazon and through SanDisk if i were you ;)
Schoeps MK4's & MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS02IB | Naiant +60v PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's ->
Tascam DR-70D's ->
128gb & 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards

FiiO E10K DAC/HP Amp & E11K HP Amp ->
Sony MDR-7506 Cans & SA-VA15 Speakers | Monster iSport Victory Earbuds

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline morst

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2017, 02:54:13 AM »
Yours looks a lil beat up to me?
(snip)
And FWIW, I would ONLY buy through Amazon and through SanDisk if i were you ;)
Beat up? Well, the sticker has a smudge that I can barely see in real life, but the flatbed scanner reveals all!

This is through amazon, though it's a returned - stock item that said it was blemished.

I already have an approved Sandisk 16 and a Panasonic 32. This is more for insurance. Seems like a genuine item, but in the name of science, I think I'll email Sandisk customer support with the serial number just to verify it...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline morst

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »
Seems like a genuine item, but in the name of science, I think I'll email Sandisk customer support with the serial number just to verify it...
Sandisk has Web Chat. Very handy.

"Evan G.: ... based on the information and pictures submitted for review, we have determined that this is an authentic SanDisk® retail brand product"

And now for the bad news:

Tascam DR70D is shown as a Closeout item at Adorama Camera, the only retailer listed on Tascam's official WHERE TO BUY page! http://tascam.com/product/dr-70d/buy_now/
In fact, that link goes to a bundle which is not available, but the Adorama site still sells the recorder...

https://www.adorama.com/tsdr70d.html

Offline voltronic

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2017, 07:53:58 PM »
I wouldn't put too much into the fact that Adorama is the only authorized retailer, and they are listing it as a "closeout."  Being that they haven't updated the 70D firmware or tested any new cards in a long time, I imagine no one is paying attention to its web page either.

It very well may be slated to be discontinued, which if nothing else will drive more customers to the DR-701D (IMO overpriced given the competition or even Tascam's own DR-680 mkII).  But I really don't think it's been axed just yet.

A quick search shows the DR-70D currently in stock at:

Amazon
American Musical
B&H
Broadcast Supply
Full Compass
Trew Audio
Markertek
Sam Ash
Zzounds

...but out of stock at:
Sweetwater
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline drewt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:51 PM »
Interesting - perhaps Adorama is paring down it's ProSound inventory - there are many items slated as disco'd.
You could very well be correct.

It has been suggested in  other threads that the 701 pre-amps are a bit better quality. That coupled with a good form factor, time code and camera trigger may make the
701 workable. But - it here is an update to the DR70 at the same pricepoint - i would consider buying 2 (1 as a spare) in lieu of the 701.

NAB is end of April, will take a loaner to Europe for the first round...
Video / stills guy navigating the sound world.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2017, 08:39:43 PM »
Interesting - perhaps Adorama is paring down it's ProSound inventory - there are many items slated as disco'd.
You could very well be correct.

It has been suggested in  other threads that the 701 pre-amps are a bit better quality. That coupled with a good form factor, time code and camera trigger may make the
701 workable. But - it here is an update to the DR70 at the same pricepoint - i would consider buying 2 (1 as a spare) in lieu of the 701.

NAB is end of April, will take a loaner to Europe for the first round...

The 701D certainly does have better preamps than the DR-70D - for one thing, the opamps it uses are superior.  But the DR-680 mkII will also have better preamps, and for the same $600 price you get six of them.  I don't know that they are the same preamp circuit, but the critical specs are identical (EIN, distortion, S/N ratio).  There's a local professional location sound recording company I know that uses the 680 for low-track-count sessions.  So this is why I say that unless you need the camera triggering, the DR-680 mkII presents a better value from a pure audio recording standpoint.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »
Hmm, form factor over audio quality... Now hoping there is a newer middle ground model nearing release.

Having a smaller set up makes run and gunshooting easier - especially in "unfriendly" environments.
But shyte audio is a killer...

In a perfect world, i'd just go with a BMC Ursa 4.6 and a Sound Devices recorder. But that set up makes for a larger target profile.

Do you have any idea what the Tascam product release schedule is?

Thank you for you insights - not being a sound guy - they are quite helpful.

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2017, 11:10:48 PM »
If Tascam follows any discernable pattern concerning when they release a new recorder, I haven't figured it out.  I'm also not sure that you can tell when Tascam is discontinuing something based on Adorama placing it on closeout.  B&H isn't showing any closeout on it.

The other thing is the 70d price is hovering around $299.  There was a point when B & H was selling it for under $200 including a copy of Sony SoundForge software. 

I think you should just order based on your expected needs and use.  The 70d can be powered by a cell phone battery.  The 680 is a 12v recorder so the external battery powering options are not as plentiful and inexpensive as the 70d.  The 70d is also much more compact. 

Offline drewt

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »
Curious that it jumped 1/3 in price. At $200 it would have been a no brainer.

Thanks for info - my mics for this kit run on either phantom or double AA (Rodes ntg2 & ntg4, senny G3s, upgrading to the AVXs).
It's going to come down to 701 vs 70 price vs quality value analysis...

Ordered the 70d today for a test run....
Now to delve into this thread for operating tips... Grin.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Is a 4 channel slut and
  • Trade Count: (117)
  • Taperus Maximus
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 05:18:37 AM »
My two 70D's have been NOTHING but 100% reliable [*knock on wood*] with my SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards! Ive been running battery tests and recording on my 128gb SanDisk card for over 200 hours the past few weeks, and as ALWAYS, the 70D has performed 100% flawlessly ;D
Schoeps MK4's & MK41's ->
Schoeps | NBob 250/05 KCY's ->
Schoeps VMS02IB | Naiant +60v PFA's ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's ->
Tascam DR-70D's ->
128gb & 64gb SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards

FiiO E10K DAC/HP Amp & E11K HP Amp ->
Sony MDR-7506 Cans & SA-VA15 Speakers | Monster iSport Victory Earbuds

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean | http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420 | http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 08:57:18 AM »
My two 70D's have been NOTHING but 100% reliable [*knock on wood*] with my SanDisk Extreme Pro SD Cards! Ive been running battery tests and recording on my 128gb SanDisk card for over 200 hours the past few weeks, and as ALWAYS, the 70D has performed 100% flawlessly ;D

Ditto. I upgraded to the 1.14 firmware before I ever used it (well over a year ago) and it has preformed flawlessly.
Mics: ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's

Offline voltronic

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 06:50:20 PM »

Thanks for info - my mics for this kit run on either phantom or double AA (Rodes ntg2 & ntg4, senny G3s, upgrading to the AVXs).

$299 was pretty much the regular street price until some vendors would put it on big discounts every few months.

For operating tips, you can find a quick reference in the DR-70D FAQ (link in my signature).  The manual is not very well written, and I recently revised the menu reference you'll find in that thread because I was having trouble remembering what does what in the menu.

Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Online Gordon

• Trade Count: (14)
    • my list
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2017, 02:03:25 PM »
I'll be taking my new 70d on it's maiden voyage tomorrow night.  Playing around with it today trying to drain the usb battery.  key word trying ;)  I have it sitting on my desk recording with the internal mics.  anyway when I came back up from lunch it was turned off.  Battery still has over 50% and there are internal AA as backup.  I turned it back on and saw the card was full.  So I'm guessing the card filled up so it went idle and then turned itself off after 30 minutes.  does this sound right?
Mics: Neumann ak40 (din) > Nick mod lc3 > Naiant PFA, CA-11 Omni
Pres: Audioroot Femto, Naiant Littlebox v1 (2015 edition), CA 9200
Recorders: Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-70D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/gordonlw

Offline hoppedup

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Sa da tay!
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2017, 02:44:51 PM »
I'll be taking my new 70d on it's maiden voyage tomorrow night.  Playing around with it today trying to drain the usb battery.  key word trying ;)  I have it sitting on my desk recording with the internal mics.  anyway when I came back up from lunch it was turned off.  Battery still has over 50% and there are internal AA as backup.  I turned it back on and saw the card was full.  So I'm guessing the card filled up so it went idle and then turned itself off after 30 minutes.  does this sound right?

I never ran a card full, so I can't answer that. But if there is anything wrong with the unit it can be returned for a full refund.
AKG SE300B CK91
Berliner CM-33
CA-14 omnis
CA 9200
Tascam DR-40, Tascam DR-60D, Tascam DR-22WL
↑↑↓↓←→←→ BA Start

My recordings on bt.etree

My recordings on LMA

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2017, 02:56:37 PM »

$299 was pretty much the regular street price until some vendors would put it on big discounts every few months.

For operating tips, you can find a quick reference in the DR-70D FAQ (link in my signature).  The manual is not very well written, and I recently revised the menu reference you'll find in that thread because I was having trouble remembering what does what in the menu.
[/qtill uote]

I've read some of the different threads and through the FAQ, but still unsure about the pan feature.  I doubt I'll run four channel so for two channels in XLR or stereo mini input what its the recommended pan setting? 

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2017, 03:02:28 PM »

I never ran a card full, so I can't answer that. But if there is anything wrong with the unit it can be returned for a full refund.

Thanks but I'm pretty sure that's what happened.  It makes sense anyway ;)  Just trying to confirm!

Offline morst

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »
So I'm guessing the card filled up so it went idle and then turned itself off after 30 minutes.  does this sound right?
yes, the 30-minute idle shutdown will save the AA's, in case your battery pack dies too.

Offline morst

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2017, 03:36:11 PM »
Under BASIC > PAN
Left 12 = left channel only, Right 12 = right channel only.

Default should be input channels 1 & 3 go to Left 12, inputs 2 & 4 would be Right 12

Zero is in the center (mono)

I've read some of the different threads and through the FAQ, but still unsure about the pan feature.  I doubt I'll run four channel so for two channels in XLR or stereo mini input what its the recommended pan setting?

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2017, 04:35:17 PM »
if one were trying to get all levels from an external pre where would you start the level knobs on the 70d?  all the way down without turning it off?

For sbd feeds where's a good place to start?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2017, 09:13:57 PM »
Under BASIC > PAN
Left 12 = left channel only, Right 12 = right channel only.

Default should be input channels 1 & 3 go to Left 12, inputs 2 & 4 would be Right 12

Zero is in the center (mono)

...And you can safely ignore the PAN setting, as it has no effect unless you're recording in 2MIX mode (a 4 > 2 channel downmix, I don't recommend it).
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline flintstone

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2017, 04:28:51 PM »
Check out the DR-70D mic input noise measurements at Avisoft
http://www.avisoft.com/recordertests.htm 

These results put the DR-70D right at the top of the list for quiet mic inputs.
Also amazing that the EIN measured the same for both high and mid-level gain.
Super impressive for a $300 deck.

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2017, 04:49:44 PM »

Damn. That's wild.

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (127)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2017, 07:08:43 PM »
Wow nice specs!! 
Schoeps MK4's, MK41's> KCY 250/5 Ig> Schoeps VMS 5U> Sony PCM-M10

Offline morst

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2017, 03:37:14 AM »
...And you can safely ignore the PAN setting, as it has no effect unless you're recording in 2MIX mode (a 4 > 2 channel downmix, I don't recommend it).

D'oh!!

:facepalm:

Offline gormenghast

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2017, 09:06:47 AM »

D'oh!!

:facepalm:

Not to a 70d newb.  I don't know what pan is in a recorder.  So, I wouldn't know why I would use it or how to.

Thanks anyway.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2017, 09:07:52 AM »

This almost seems to good to be true, although I've always found the preamps plenty quiet as long as HIGH+ gain is avoided.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2017, 12:18:04 PM »
The DR100mkiii is further down the list below the 70d and the 680? 

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Nobody's finished, we ain't even begun
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2017, 12:53:12 PM »

This almost seems to good to be true, although I've always found the preamps plenty quiet as long as HIGH+ gain is avoided.

According to this chart, the dr70d should allow for higher resolution than a SD 722.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v, mk4v, mk22, mk3 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, Darktrain 2 and 4 channel KCY extensions:
Preamps:    Naiant Littlebox, Naiant IPA, Naiant PFA
Recorders: Tascam Dr-70d, Sony PCM m10
Home Playback: Mytek Stereo96> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400
Office Playback: Grace m903> AKG k701

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2017, 01:10:41 PM »

According to this chart, the dr70d should allow for higher resolution than a SD 722.

Considering there is 10 years between the technology in those devices...not so hard to believe.
Audix M1280/Avantone CK-1/APEX 435/Altec 626A/TEAC ME-120/Sony ECM-999PR/Sony ECM-MS5
TASCAM DR-70D/Tricorder

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »

Considering there is 10 years between the technology in those devices...not so hard to believe.

Yes, but given the difference in MSRP, it's still interesting to note.

I wonder if SD will produce something to replace the 7XX series, and compete with the zoom.
Recording:
Home Playback: Mytek Stereo96> Adcom SLC 505> Marantz Ma500 (x2)> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-400

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2017, 03:42:04 PM »
The DR100mkiii is further down the list below the 70d and the 680?

Yes, I find that strange too, since Tascam claims to have greatly improved the DR100mk3's preamps.

And where does this put the DR-701D?
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2017, 05:22:22 PM »
Not to a 70d newb.  I don't know what pan is in a recorder.  So, I wouldn't know why I would use it or how to.

Thanks anyway.

In general, the Pan feature assigns individual channels to either left, right, or somewhere in between.

According to what Volt posted, unless you're mixing your inputs for a real-time output using the 2Mix feature, any Pan setting will be ignored by the unit. If you DO want to mix using 2Mix, Left 12 is full left with no right channel output, and Right 12 is full right, with no left channel output.

As Volt suggests, when recording direct to tracks (NOT using the 2Mix feature) Input channels 1&3 will automatically be assigned to pure left, and channels 2&4 will be assigned pure right.

Does this make sense?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »

I wonder if SD will produce something to replace the 7XX series, and compete with the zoom.

Not to mention the difference in quality of the actual components used in the units which has something to do with that price difference, 10 years technology difference notwithstanding.

I'm a regular user of the 70D, but have a hard time believing these test results unless they are verified by others.

Here's food for thought: Tascam lists the EIN as "-120 dB or less" in their own specifications, yet Avisoft shows -129 dB which is not a tiny difference.  Wouldn't you expect the manufacturer have the best-case-scenario when listing specs?
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »

Not to mention the difference in quality of the actual components used in the units which has something to do with that price difference, 10 years technology difference notwithstanding.

I'm a regular user of the 70D, but have a hard time believing these test results unless they are verified by others.

Here's food for thought: Tascam lists the EIN as "-120 dB or less" in their own specifications, yet Avisoft shows -129 dB which is not a tiny difference.  Wouldn't you expect the manufacturer have the best-case-scenario when listing specs?

Volt - you should send them your modd'ed DR-70D...it should blow them all away!!!
Audix M1280/Avantone CK-1/APEX 435/Altec 626A/TEAC ME-120/Sony ECM-999PR/Sony ECM-MS5
TASCAM DR-70D/Tricorder

Offline voltronic

« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2017, 04:56:01 AM »
;D

The thing is, as I've said before many times in the modification discussion, that the mod didn't affect the noise level at all; it just improved the sound quality in other ways (treble clarity / extension, transients).  Jim Williams, who designed the mod I have, stated that noise performance of the 70D is a function of the tiny and cheap input transistors it uses.

Given my experience with my modded deck it should be noted that EIN is not the only thing to consider when evaluating the sound quality of a unit.  I think the DR-70D has rather quiet preamps, especially for its price.  But I find it very hard to believe that it performs better than a SD 722.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline EvilEye

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2017, 04:21:38 PM »
Checking in.  Just got a 70D from raoulduke in the yard sale.  Very cool little machine.  Probably run it this weekend for Wilco at the Beacon.  I can run my FR2-LE or my SD MP-2/PCM-M-10 with my eyes closed, but this little thing is a little more complicated.  I've read through most of these posts (8 parts - really?) and the manual, etc, still have a couple questions, if you'll indulge me....

Firmware is 1.14, I'm waiting on an approved card, I'll have a 5V power bank, plus AA batteries in the unit (seamless power swap if the powerbank dies, right? nice feature).  I'll be running 4 mics (AKG ck63s and ck2s) 17th row center on the floor.  I figure if the gain is MID I'll start at noon on the gain knobs....

So, I arm all 4 channels, set preamp gain on MID, set the input to XLR/TRS, set the input gain to MIC+PHANTOM, set Phantom to 48V.......limiter, lowcut, delay and phase are all off, file format BWAV 24/48, battery on NIMH...man, a lotta settings scattered throughout a bunch of different menus...... :-\

One thing I don't understand - is File Type - mono or stereo?   I'm guessing stereo will give me two stereo files - 1/2 and 3/4 right?  (I'll want to do the mix down post in Reaper).

The line out, I'm stuck with the mixdown of four channels (same as 2MIX?) based on the levels set, right?

I'm thinking of running the ck63's through the MP2, and feeding the DR70 a line in on 1/2 from the tape out, and running an M-10 safety from the MP2 XLR outs, which I know are hot, but I think the M-10 line in can handle them (and the DR70 can't) is that right?

I'll probably man up and skip the MP2 and just run all 4 channels through the 70D.  We'll see.

Advice, tips and anecdotes welcome.....
AKG 460/ck61/ck63 /ck2 / ck8
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
Nbob AKG actives / PFAs / Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables
FR2-LE (Oade mod) / PCM-M10 / DR-70D
SD MP-2 / CA-9100

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
Checking in.  Just got a 70D from raoulduke in the yard sale.  Very cool little machine.  Probably run it this weekend for Wilco at the Beacon.  I can run my FR2-LE or my SD MP-2/PCM-M-10 with my eyes closed, but this little thing is a little more complicated.  I've read through most of these posts (8 parts - really?) and the manual, etc, still have a couple questions, if you'll indulge me....

Firmware is 1.14, I'm waiting on an approved card, I'll have a 5V power bank, plus AA batteries in the unit (seamless power swap if the powerbank dies, right? nice feature).  I'll be running 4 mics (AKG ck63s and ck2s) 17th row center on the floor.  I figure if the gain is MID I'll start at noon on the gain knobs....

So, I arm all 4 channels, set preamp gain on MID, set the input to XLR/TRS, set the input gain to MIC+PHANTOM, set Phantom to 48V.......limiter, lowcut, delay and phase are all off, file format BWAV 24/48, battery on NIMH...man, a lotta settings scattered throughout a bunch of different menus...... :-\

One thing I don't understand - is File Type - mono or stereo?   I'm guessing stereo will give me two stereo files - 1/2 and 3/4 right?  (I'll want to do the mix down post in Reaper).

The line out, I'm stuck with the mixdown of four channels (same as 2MIX?) based on the levels set, right?

I'm thinking of running the ck63's through the MP2, and feeding the DR70 a line in on 1/2 from the tape out, and running an M-10 safety from the MP2 XLR outs, which I know are hot, but I think the M-10 line in can handle them (and the DR70 can't) is that right?

I'll probably man up and skip the MP2 and just run all 4 channels through the 70D.  We'll see.

Advice, tips and anecdotes welcome.....

Skip the MP2. You can have all that stuff set before you go to the show. At the show, just turn it on, hit the menu button 4 times to confirm you want all 4 inputs to have phantom, then hit record when you're ready to go. easy peasy.

Offline EvilEye

• Wishes He Could Get Out More..
  • Taperssection Member
  • YEEEWRAAAUGHHH... OOOOHHH..YEAAAHH
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2017, 04:41:29 PM »
So I use STEREO, not MONO, and I get two stereo tracks which I can later mix down, right?

and the Mic Input knobs don't work when the HOLD switch is on - right?  (that kinda sucks, but I can live with it).
AKG 460/ck61/ck63 /ck2 / ck8
AT853RX  - O/SC/C/H
Nbob AKG actives / PFAs / Bumblebee MiAGi-II Silver Cables
FR2-LE (Oade mod) / PCM-M10 / DR-70D
SD MP-2 / CA-9100

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2017, 05:01:25 PM »
So I use STEREO, not MONO, and I get two stereo tracks which I can later mix down, right?

and the Mic Input knobs don't work when the HOLD switch is on - right?  (that kinda sucks, but I can live with it).

The gotcha on the HOLD is that if you move the level knob - the level change will be abruptly applied when you un-HOLD...I'd avoid HOLD altogether.

For the most part STEREO is fine - unless you are doing a 3 channel or other non-symmetrical setup - then MONO might make more sense.

TASCAM DR-70D/Tricorder

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2017, 06:31:53 AM »
I'd use LOW not MID for a rock show.
Recording:

Offline morst

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2017, 06:48:14 PM »

YES!

LOW GAIN!!!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2017, 09:05:18 PM »

Agreed.  I don't go past MID for classical recording, and find myself using LOW for a lot of things with orchestra or loud percussion.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2017, 09:56:04 AM »
I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these and can get it for $224.99 new. Seems like a great deal.
Any thoughts on that price point from you folks?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2017, 10:00:17 AM »
There were a few in the YS you may want to see if one hasn't sold!

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
I got a mint used one for much less than that!  Like Jbell said look in the yard sale.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2017, 07:47:55 AM »
I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these and can get it for $224.99 new. Seems like a great deal.
Any thoughts on that price point from you folks?
There doesn't appear to be anything available in the Yard Sale as of now, and I'd prefer new with warranty etc.
Thanks for the suggestions.
So is $224.99 a fair price for a new unit in the box?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »
$225 is a fair price.

Offline lsd2525

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2017, 12:23:14 PM »

Offline noahbickart

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2017, 04:57:07 PM »
When i got mine, Chris at Busman modded it for me, you might want to reach out to him, and have it shipped right to him...
Recording:

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2017, 09:00:40 PM »
Well, I'm now a (hopefully) proud owner of this deck. Plan to give it a four channel run tomorrow night with a couple local/regional jam bands.
Wish me luck.  ;D

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2017, 09:35:47 PM »
make sure to hit record!  seriously!  one thing I love about this deck is if it's on you can see levels as if it was in record/pause.  one thing I hate about this deck is if it's on you can see levels as if it was in record/pause! 

Offline voltronic

« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
Well, I'm now a (hopefully) proud owner of this deck. Plan to give it a four channel run tomorrow night with a couple local/regional jam bands.
Wish me luck.  ;D

Hope it works out well.  :coolguy:

For a while I was thinking that I was going to upgrade from the DR-70D to something else, but I think I'm sticking with it. I haven't yet run into a situation where I really need more than 4 channels, and despite the usability annoyances the quality of recordings I'm getting is consistently very good.  I'll be saving my money towards more mics in the future.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline voltronic

« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2017, 09:48:01 PM »
make sure to hit record!  seriously!  one thing I love about this deck is if it's on you can see levels as if it was in record/pause.  one thing I hate about this deck is if it's on you can see levels as if it was in record/pause!

Yes, it's different from other decks that you put into "REC/PAUSE" mode first and then "release" the transport to start recording like you would on a tape deck.  But the easy way to tell is that Red LED on = Recording.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2017, 10:24:37 PM »
Yes, it's different from other decks that you put into "REC/PAUSE" mode first and then "release" the transport to start recording like you would on a tape deck.  But the easy way to tell is that Red LED on = Recording.
You guys can say that again...I had to do a search to see how the darn thing paused.  :facepalm:
I think I'll be ok with it, enough of the features and functionality are similar to the DR-60D which is my regular recorder.

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2017, 10:40:32 PM »
easy way to tell is that Red LED on = Recording.

that and no time running!  got me the other night!  at least it was the opener I didn't care about.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2017, 06:09:40 AM »
easy way to tell is that Red LED on = Recording.

that and no time running!  got me the other night!  at least it was the opener I didn't care about.

?  It definitely shows running time.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2017, 07:12:31 AM »
I meant no run time if it's not recording.

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2017, 08:18:35 AM »
I'm looking for something that'll power the 70-D and want to get some feedback on this adapter which seems ok to me-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2A-Wall-AC-Power-Adapter-for-Portable-Digital-Recorders-Replace-TASCAM-PS-P515U-/252400322438?hash=item3ac43b4786:g:XQkAAOSw5VFWMrN2

I have the TASCAM PS-P515U for my DR-60D but want something in case I'm running both recorders which happens every now and then.
Thanks folks.

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2017, 08:37:49 AM »
Not a wall wart but I have two of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331541674213?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=540700709762&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

General consensus is they will run the deck forever!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2017, 08:30:35 PM »

Not following you.  Do you mean remaining time available?  It shows that on the top-right under the battery icon.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline voltronic

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »
Not a wall wart but I have two of these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331541674213?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=540700709762&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

General consensus is they will run the deck forever!

Seconded.  Many of us have this battery, and while it's not really 20,000 mAh it does a great job powering the 70D for long hours.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2017, 09:13:30 PM »

Not following you.  Do you mean remaining time available?  It shows that on the top-right under the battery icon.

if you haven't hit record then time shows as 00:00:00

Offline voltronic

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2017, 06:20:03 AM »

if you haven't hit record then time shows as 00:00:00

OK, yes on the large running time clock that's true.  How is that a problem?  I'm really lost here.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2017, 07:05:54 AM »
If the clock isn't moving, you haven't pressed record.

I really don't see how Gordon wasn't clear on this.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at etree(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: AKG C480B/CK61, CK63 | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: <empty>
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Sony PCM-M10

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2017, 09:51:52 PM »
So the brand new recorder had a great opening performance last night. Recorded two bands, ran my recently phantom power modded Teac ME-120 mics in CH 1/2 and a soundboard feed into CH 3/4. Took me a couple minutes to find the phantom setting even though (I think) I saw it the night before when I was checking out the recorder settings.

What I didn't find last night was the low/med/high/high+ input gain settings, but I was still ok level-wise, more so on the sbd side than the mics.

It also seemed like the maximum headphones volume was nowhere near what the DR-60D puts out. And I will miss the ability to monitor channels 1/2 and 3/4 separately.

I do like the form factor with this deck, and no longer have to worry about the DR-60D CH 3/4 input problems I was having from time to time if the deck or cable got moved.

Thanks Voltronic for the FAQ, and Gordon for the battery suggestion. I probably should have one of those just in case.

Gotta lot to learn here...time to start reading thru these threads.  8)

Offline voltronic

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2017, 06:06:03 AM »
If the clock isn't moving, you haven't pressed record.

I really don't see how Gordon wasn't clear on this.

I thought he was saying that was a problem of some kind.
Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2017, 10:15:17 PM »
70-D newbie question here-
Regarding this feature from the FAQ- 2MIX - *2MIX is a stereo mixdown of all armed channels.  PAN adjustments made to tracks will affect recordings made in this mode only

Is that another way of mixing four channels straight down to two? And if so, would that qualify as an instant matrix, delay and all?

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2017, 03:09:04 AM »
Regarding this feature from the FAQ- 2MIX - *2MIX is a stereo mixdown of all armed channels.  PAN adjustments made to tracks will affect recordings made in this mode only

Is that another way of mixing four channels straight down to two? And if so, would that qualify as an instant matrix, delay and all?

That is correct. Pan and delay only affect the mix bus. This affects the 2MIX recording as well as the Line Out 1/8" output. When recording four tracks they will not affected. Typical usage of Line out of mix feature would be to feed audio to a streaming box such as Teradek's Vidiu.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »

That is correct. Pan and delay only affect the mix bus. This affects the 2MIX recording as well as the Line Out 1/8" output. When recording four tracks they will not affected. Typical usage of Line out of mix feature would be to feed audio to a streaming box such as Teradek's Vidiu.
I realize that most folks here advise against it but, I want to try the 2Mix next weekend where I'll be archiving a three day indoor bluegrass festival with a set of mics hanging about 10ft in front of and about 15ft above the stage, and also a stereo sbd feed. I may only use minimal delay on the sbd feed if any.
I guess what I don't understand is how the levels will work. Is that final 2 track recording going to be based on the mic and sbd levels on my meters? That said, if I run all four inputs at about the same level, would that final mix then be a 50/50 matrix?
And do I have to run them a bit low so the combined signals aren't too high?
If I can get this to work well, it'll save me tons of time in post.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 10:12:17 PM by billydee »

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2017, 07:41:44 AM »

I realize that most folks here advise against it but, I want to try the 2Mix next weekend where I'll be archiving a three day indoor bluegrass festival with a set of mics hanging about 10ft in front of and about 15ft above the stage, and also a stereo sbd feed. I may only use minimal delay on the sbd feed if any.
I guess what I don't understand is how the levels will work. Is that final 2 track recording going to be based on the mic and sbd levels on my meters? That said, if I run all four inputs at about the same level, would that final mix then be a 50/50 matrix?

Add me to the list of folks advising against this...!

If it goes wrong - you're stuck.

Remember - since you're going to be using the same setup all weekend - In post - once you figure out your delay/alignment number - you can just repeat that for each set - no need to realign by eye/ear every set - that will cut down post time nicely.

Also - slightly concerned about you mic placement..."10 feet from the band and 15 feet above?"

Sounds too close - and too high. 10 feet sounds way to close for PA recording.

And - most sound guys are only 5-6 feet tall - and mix for the sound to be good where people are listening - not 15 feet above.

Stay on the speaker projection axis...

If you really want to try this - pick one of the early bands - and run one set like that - and then check it out...but I wouldn't roll the whole event like that.
TASCAM DR-70D/Tricorder

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2017, 10:30:27 AM »

Remember - since you're going to be using the same setup all weekend - In post - once you figure out your delay/alignment number - you can just repeat that for each set - no need to realign by eye/ear every set - that will cut down post time nicely.

Also - slightly concerned about you mic placement..."10 feet from the band and 15 feet above?"

And - most sound guys are only 5-6 feet tall - and mix for the sound to be good where people are listening - not 15 feet above.

If you really want to try this - pick one of the early bands - and run one set like that - and then check it out...but I wouldn't roll the whole event like that.
I appreciate the advice, thanks.

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2017, 10:45:10 AM »

I think using stage/close micing for Bluegrass is not a great idea.

Those acoustic instruments don't really make any noise on stage, and the only stage sound will be from monitors...and those monitors are pointed at the musicians.

You really want the PA sound if you are thinking of fodder for matrix.

For bluegrass - get about 20-30 feet back from the PA - and use a pair of OMNIS - split about 6-8 feet...dreamy!

Check out this effort from last year...no matrix necessary!

https://archive.org/details/mountainride2016-06-11
TASCAM DR-70D/Tricorder

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2017, 11:12:44 AM »

I think using stage/close micing for Bluegrass is not a great idea.

Those acoustic instruments don't really make any noise on stage, and the only stage sound will be from monitors...and those monitors are pointed at the musicians.

You really want the PA sound if you are thinking of fodder for matrix.

For bluegrass - get about 20-30 feet back from the PA - and use a pair of OMNIS - split about 6-8 feet...dreamy!

Check out this effort from last year...no matrix necessary!

https://archive.org/details/mountainride2016-06-11
That recording does sound nice. But it's not Colorado, where although crowds are not too bad for this particular venue/fest, are probably the chattiest anywhere on Earth. I don't record ever unless I have a board feed to go with the mics. And fortunately in my part of the state I get a board feed 99% of the time and can usually place my mics anywhere within reason.
I've been recording at this venue for a while and pulled 4 channel matrix recordings for three days straight at last years fest. Using a pair of cardioid condensers 35 feet from stage, about 8 feet high and a board feed. And am very happy with the results.
This year I was looking to get a closer mic position and I have the opportunity to mount a flange for mics permanently on the beam in front of the stage. And my assumption is that there will be less possible chatter with mics in that location and any combination of stage volume/PA will mix nicely with the board feed. I plan to use my phantom modded Teac ME-120s with card caps for this application.

So thank you for the advice. I'd like nothing more than to run a set of omni caps from 20-30 feet away but....

I am still looking for thoughts on how my four input levels on the DR-70D will affect the final two track mix.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 12:46:47 PM by billydee »

Online Gordon

• my list
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2017, 05:47:43 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one finding the 70d kind of a pain to fit in my gear bag to my liking.  This is not my full time deck so not getting another bag just for it.  So I made some stilts like I did years ago for my V3.

4 inch mending plates and Velcro from Home Depot = $8.  The have also have 5,6 + inch.  You could use the screw holes on the top if you wanted.

It's not pretty but it works!

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 08:01:15 PM by Gordon »

Offline CorFit Chris

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • InsideOut Recording & Promotions
« Reply #85 on: April 20, 2017, 11:34:29 PM »

It also seemed like the maximum headphones volume was nowhere near what the DR-60D puts out. And I will miss the ability to monitor channels 1/2 and 3/4 separately.

I fully agree with the low headphone output.  I haven't tried yet, but can the output level in the Monitor Settings menu be turned up a few db to increase the headphone output level?  It can be turned up to +12db.

FYI.. I sold my Tascam DR-680mkii (which I loved and will miss), to downsize to the DR-70, and have been incredibly happy with the decision.  My gear bag size has decreased greatly, external 5V usb power is awesome (cheap, small, effective), and the pre's are equivalent.
LMA: https://archive.org/details/@corfit
SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/orithris
Mics: AKG 460 (ck61 & ck63) | Studio Projects C4 (cards & omni's) | CA-14 cards | SP-SPSM-9
Recorders: Tascam DR-70d  |  Tascam DR-60d  |  Tascam DR-2D
Preamp: CA Ugly
Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2017, 09:00:23 AM »
So I ordered one of the "Tascam DR-70D tested SD cards" from Amazon (sent from Circuit City) and it seems to be slightly different.

I ordered the SDSDUP-016G "Ultra Plus", but instead I got the SDSUNB-016G "Ultra" model card.

Should I be concerned?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »
So I ordered one of the "Tascam DR-70D tested SD cards" from Amazon (sent from Circuit City) and it seems to be slightly different.

I ordered the SDSDUP-016G "Ultra Plus", but instead I got the SDSUNB-016G "Ultra" model card.

Should I be concerned?

I could be wrong, but my impression was that after the FIRMWARE V1.14 update, using a card from the Tascam approved list was not as crucial.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline morst

« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »
Trashcan never admitted that there was a problem, so they have not verified that they have fixed it.

I would stick with exactly what is on the list, but I've gotten burned a few times with the older firmware.

By the time 1.14 came out, most of us were paranoid enough to be using cards on the list.

Also, if you use a card not on their list, Tascam "customer service" will blow off your complaints.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 12:26:47 PM by morst »

Offline voltronic

« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2017, 06:58:08 PM »

Should I be concerned?

Return it immediately.  Multiple red flags:

For starters, the card they sent is microSD card according to the model number you posted.  It's not what you ordered.

Second, Amazon is a SanDisk authorized retailer, but that only counts for items that are sold and shipped directly from them.  There are countless stories of counterfeit flash media on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.  Circuit City is not a SanDisk authorized retailer, so even though they are a known name I wouldn't totally trust this sale.

Third: The provenance of this card being in question and it not being on the approved card list, you're lowering the odds of it working correctly.

Best Buy has the card you're looking for, often in stock locally.  That's where I bought mine.

Naiant PFAs | Shure FP24

Tascam DR-70D FAQ
Team Line Audio
- Gustav Mahler

Offline billydee

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »

Should I be concerned?

Return it immediately.  Multiple red flags:

For starters, the card they sent is microSD card according to the model number you posted.  It's not what you ordered.

Second, Amazon is a SanDisk authorized retailer, but that only counts for items that are sold and shipped directly from them.  There are countless stories of counterfeit flash media on eBay and Amazon Marketplace.  Circuit City is not a SanDisk authorized retailer, so even though they are a known name I wouldn't totally trust this sale.

Third: The provenance of this card being in question and it not being on the approved card list, you're lowering the odds of it working correctly.

Best Buy has the card you're looking for, often in stock locally.  That's where I bought mine.
That's what I'm doing, returning it, although it is not a micro SD card.  Seemed like a good deal at $8.09 and free shipping. Guess I should have known better.
Thanks all.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 1.132 seconds with 113 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com