Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Should I be worried about this CA-9200 malfunctioning? (Spectrum chart provided)  (Read 5724 times)

Offline PaulCayard

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Hi!

During some test of my new U853 capsules, I've found a possible problem of my CA-9200 preamp.

Configuration 1:
U853 (H) > CA-9200 (+15db) > cable A > M10 (line in)
Configuration 2:
AT853 (SC) > CA-9200 (+15db) > cable B > R05 (line in)

Sometimes in BOTH configurations I've seen the left channel of M10/R05 bumped at -30/-25 db in a quiet room. (Right channel instead set to no signal).
I've tried to replicate the problem without the CA-9200 (mic > recorder (mic in + plugin power)) but it was all fine: both the channel were to no signal.

It's very strange that, when I've tried to replicate the problem WITH the CA-9200:
- Sometimes I power on the CA-9200 and the problem disappears
- When the problem appears, I've seen the left channel that bumped at -30, then it came back to no signal, then at about -35, then no signal...

Should I be worried about it?

Thanks to anybody that will help me :)

Additional info:
WAVE #1 (mic > CA-9200 (+15db) > M10 (line in)): https://mega.nz/#!LB1FSCTY!oyL0bmW5CDLKkDWK2Azwsnn5jqnv3wUkI1HyhrV3Vuc
WAVE #2 (mic > CA-9200 (+15db) > M10 (line in)): https://mega.nz/#!bJthlIhC!QidbetwDBKNCGXUiwUaVzjIc87KX2pagEDZJT2kP_aY

These are some screenshots of SpectraPLUS analysis of WAVE #1:

« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 04:20:05 PM by PaulCayard »
Mics: Nakamichi CM-300 JB mod (CP-1, CP-3), AT853 4.7k mod (SC/C/H), AT U853 4.7k mod (C/H), CA-14 (C)
Pre-amp/Power: CA-9200, CA-9100, CA-UBB, SP-SPSB-10
Recorder: Roland R-07, Sony M10, Tascam DR-2d (x2), Roland R-05

Offline PaulCayard

• Taperssection Regular
UPDATE: Chris Church (the producer of CA-9200) reply to me quickly. He thinks that I might have a bad input jack on the preamp. He suggests me to try cleaning it with contact spray deoxit.
Mics: Nakamichi CM-300 JB mod (CP-1, CP-3), AT853 4.7k mod (SC/C/H), AT U853 4.7k mod (C/H), CA-14 (C)

Online beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
What email did you use to contact him? I sent him a repair question but he didn't respond back to me.

Offline PaulCayard

• Taperssection Regular
Facebook Messenger.

I've just tried to bring ca9200 on a audio tech assistance here where I live but it"s impossible to repair. I've bought it one year ago, I've waited it SEVEN months and now I find that it is broken.
I'm disgusted. I have a lot of gigs in the next months. I have 3 pairs of mics, 5 pairs of capsule, 3 recorders but no preamp... Very very sad...

Online beatkilla

Sorry to hear it Paul , try an in search of in the yard sale .

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Won't the AT853s work with your UBB?

Yep, it sucks when gear goes bad. And now you'll send it back to Chris for repair and wait another 6 months. If I were you, I'd go looking for a new piece of gear so you don't bang your head on the wall waiting for Chris to return it.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline PaulCayard

• Taperssection Regular
Won't the AT853s work with your UBB?

Yep, it sucks when gear goes bad. And now you'll send it back to Chris for repair and wait another 6 months. If I were you, I'd go looking for a new piece of gear so you don't bang your head on the wall waiting for Chris to return it.

Yes vanark, I'll follow your advice: I won't send anything to Chris. I've read a lot of thread about its repair policy... One hour ago I was in an audio lab maintenance service and they open the CA-9200: it's impossible to repair, I think neither Chris can repair it.
Yeah, I'll run the UBB. But now I'm very angry and I don't want to tape anything.

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
Well, if Chris can't repair it, he'll build a new one. It certainly is under warranty.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Quote from: PaulCayard link=topic=181072.msg2218516#msg2218516
  But now I'm very angry and I don't want to tape anything.

Paul...totally understand your frustration...but understand this is a hand made item. Things like that won't have the consistency of something made by a machine. Chris makes a great product.

Yes he can be a little slow (ok maybe a lot slow) with the warranty service...but at least you have a back up way to record.

I know how you feel. My Tinybox shit the bed so I didn't get a recording of a good show. I had actually noticed the previous show I recorded that something was amiss but figured it was just a fluke. I learned my lesson. (1) Have a back up rig, (2) Always test your equipment on a regular basis (more often after it gets older).

I actually bought an Naiant IPA to replace the Tinybox. I plan on sending the Tinybox back to Jon to have him fix it (it needs a new battery). Once I get that back it will become my back up rig (since it's bigger than the IPA).

I HIGHLY recommend checking out the IPA if that is an option for your setup. It's a very nice product. I haven't opened any of Chris' products, but I suspect Jon makes a higher quality product (not that Chris' aren't very good).

After many frustrating shows where something went wrong I have finally adopted my new taping mantra: "If the taping Gods don't want that nights show to turn out...they will screw you over...nothing you can do about it but move on to the next show." Yes it sucks when you can't record...but it's not the end of the world either.

Best of luck with your upcoming shows.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 04:20:52 PM by Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B) »
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Online beatkilla

I have  a 9200 that's needs repair also but unfortunately Chris just told me he isn't accepting repairs now.

Online vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
Wow. Sorry to hear this. I would never buy anything else from him if he can't stand behind his product. I have stopped recommending his gear to folks. 

Link to LMA Recordings

jcable77

• Trade Count: (0)
Kind of off topic but I saw a denecke p-48 and zephiro inbox at a music shop by my house last week. Don't think they knew what they had as the prices were like $60.00 a piece. Was contemplating just getting em to put em up on yardsale cheap for someone in this situation. Im not sure how warn they were or if the cables were all there? Ive never run that set up so I don't know if it's of interest or not. If I can help out I will? PM me if your interested. Sorry to hear about your pre.

Offline PaulCayard

• Taperssection Regular
Well, if Chris can't repair it, he'll build a new one. It certainly is under warranty.
He told me that:
- this problem is not under warranty
- it will "change the input jack" if I send it to him and pay the repair.
I think that it's very difficult to repair the 9200 because it's not developed to be repaired: I've opened it and all the components are covered by glue or somehing similar.

Paul...totally understand your frustration...but understand this is a hand made item. Things like that won't have the consistency of something made by a machine. Chris makes a great product.

[...]

Best of luck with your upcoming shows.
Thanks for the message! Yestarday I was very angry but now it's ok... Also because beatkilla suggest me a CA9100 offer on ebay, so I hope to have a preamp for my next show!
Anyway I thank you for your advice: back-up rig and IPA. You are the third member of TS that suggest me the IPA option :-)

I have  a 9200 that's needs repair also but unfortunately Chris just told me he isn't accepting repairs now.
As I wrote above, he told me that it will "change the input jack" of my CA-9200... Boh...

Wow. Sorry to hear this. I would never buy anything else from him if he can't stand behind his product. I have stopped recommending his gear to folks.
+1

Kind of off topic but I saw a denecke p-48 and zephiro inbox at a music shop by my house last week. Don't think they knew what they had as the prices were like $60.00 a piece. Was contemplating just getting em to put em up on yardsale cheap for someone in this situation. Im not sure how warn they were or if the cables were all there? Ive never run that set up so I don't know if it's of interest or not. If I can help out I will? PM me if your interested. Sorry to hear about your pre.
jcable77, thanks very much for your offer. You are very very kind (as other member here in TS). As I wrote above, I've taken a CA9100 on ebay (thanks beatkilla for the link!), so I hope to be safe now. Anyway thanks a lot for your offer to buy a preamp from a local seller for me!

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
If the UBB can power AT mikes, use that plugged into the "mike input" (plug-in-power turned OFF) on your M10.
The M10 has pretty good internal preamps.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline PaulCayard

• Taperssection Regular
Thanks yug! Months ago I tried at home ubb with at853 and m10 and they were fine. I prefer a preamp but this configuration is ok...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.11 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com