Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: TSKB: Google Drive questions  (Read 454 times)

Offline Ben Turnbull

• Don't ask me about Audacity...
  • Trade Count: (13)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • A Clark Nova ate my lunch... Don't ask, just pee
TSKB: Google Drive questions
« on: February 18, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »
OK, so I got tapped to do the archiving chores for a six night a week jazz room here. Owner guy has a Google Drive account set up, part of it is earmarked for the nightly recordings (Recording Archives-Recent) and another for 'deep storage' (Recording Archives).  Fine.

I get the weekly recordings on SD cards, process them, turn them into 196kbps MP3 single track files  ::) and upload to my DropBox account for easy distribution to the bands. 

At the same time I salt my DropBox, I add the same files to the house Google Drive Recording Archives-Recent.  All's good.  After a couple three weeks, I'll move the oldest files on the Google Drive over to the deep storage folder... (It's the process that the former archivist developed.)

My problem is that somehow or another I've got my own Google Drive account that I must have fooled with years ago but it's now been activated some how.  I now have duplicated files in both the "house" G'Drive account and in MY G'Ddrive account.  WTF, I didn't tell it to do that... did I?  My supposed account is a basic free setup, where as the House account is a "pay for 15gb" option. 

Before I delv into deleting the content on my account, I thought I'd check in and see if anyone had a clue as to what I did!...or if the two accounts are so connected that killing mine will affect the other.  (Can I even kill a Google app?)
Thanks, be gentle.
d
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:28:59 AM by Ben Turnbull »
Who came first, Dave King or Zack Galifianakis?...
-My name is Ben, and I'm an AQhaulic ranting hysterically in my dotage
Official Archivist for Jazz Central Studios, MinniMN
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
Re: TSKB: Google Drive questions
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 10:32:13 PM »
I don't have a lot of experience with this, but maybe try using a "private browsing window" and go work on their google drive account without ever logging in as yourself?

Once you're in, if you can see that your personal account has permissions or files, go remove your personal account so you don't get your space filled up?
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 09:11:01 AM »
I'm no help here, just posting to monitor the thread as i use a couple different Google accounts and occasionally upload audio via G-drive.

The private browser angle seems apt, as I've had some Google multiple identity confusion in the past based on previous logins, cookies or whatever.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

"Narrow or widely spaced microphone configurations are preferred. It is well-known experience that pure coincidence microphone concepts are not able to produce a satisfying natural spatial impression, due to the lack of adequate interchannel temporal relations (time-of-arrival, phase, correlation)" -Günther Theile
"The mix of the Double M/S signals with a large A/B configuration of omnis results in the spacious sound that is often desired. This option also provides decorrelated low-frequency signals." -Helmut Wittek

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »
^ I have to think that's what's going on. Damn Google sees it all! 

One Google to rule them all, One Google to find them,
One Google to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them
   >:D
DPA4021/SKM140/NakCM1k/ADK A51s/ATes943/SPc4/och... > TinyBox OT> PCM-M10/DR-680/R4/T+mod UA5 needs attention

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:03:50 PM »
 :banging head:
well that went well.
I logged into my Gdrive account and opened a private session for the other.
I deleted the duplicate versions in mine and, poof... they  all disappeared in the other.

Apparently I may have thought I was uploading to the "house" account but it might have been mine. Or, there's some sort of live connection between the two that when one is broken the other dies. 

I have back up but it will take some time to recover.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 12:09:14 PM »
D'oh!

Wish I was of more help.  At this point just hoping to benefit indirectly through your pain once you figure it out.
volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values | numeric values > voltages > vibrations > virtual teleportation time-machine experience

"Narrow or widely spaced microphone configurations are preferred. It is well-known experience that pure coincidence microphone concepts are not able to produce a satisfying natural spatial impression, due to the lack of adequate interchannel temporal relations (time-of-arrival, phase, correlation)" -Günther Theile
"The mix of the Double M/S signals with a large A/B configuration of omnis results in the spacious sound that is often desired. This option also provides decorrelated low-frequency signals." -Helmut Wittek

Offline morst

• Archivist: Camper Van Beethoven & Cracker
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Get in touch if you wanna record Cracker or CVB!
    • Soundscape Preservation Society
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
I have back up but it will take some time to recover.

Fancy google has no fancy UNDO feature?

D'oh!

I guess I could have suggested starting with some small test files first to check the behavior!? Sorry!  :facepalm:
Teams: Neumann, Bay Area Tapers, Multitrack, Pioneertown Tapers, Mac Geeks, Cassette Masters, Poster Collectors, Alumni of teams St Louis, Upper Midwest & Milwaukee / Southern Wisco

Offline Ben Turnbull

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2017, 02:37:34 PM »
Not your fault. I think it was hosed from the start.  I guess, after a while... and nOOb that I am/was... I thought it odd that when logged into  The House account, I saw several files with my name as the owner and the balance as "me" the owner of the account... The House.

I think what might have happened is I didn't have a link saved for Google Drive, so I did a search for it and when I got a login page, it must have found an old cookie based setting that wanted my login info.  Since I had The House info I punched it in. That might have added it as an additional account, but maybe not. 

I don't know, the more I deal w/Google the more I think it's not worth it. That's why I use Startmail and StartPage I guess.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.148 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2017 Taperssection.com