Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Rode buys Soundfield  (Read 2264 times)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Come On, Get Happy
Rode buys Soundfield
« on: March 10, 2017, 03:40:31 PM »
I haven't seen this posted yet. I was doing a search and one of the results was a story from last fall about the Rode Microphone company buying Soundfield. Here's the article.

http://www.tslproducts.com/rode-microphones-buys-soundfield/
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Rode buys Soundfield
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 04:04:59 PM »
Thanks for the head's up Charlie.  I see this as good news!

Rode is apt at doing good quality manufacturing efficiently, and is responsive to customer needs and support.  When I was looking into buying a Soundfield mic a number of years ago, the Soundfield people I contacted were incredibly inept, knew less about their products than I did, couldn't answer technical questions, and couldn't refer me to someone with the company who could.   That experience, plus the a few horror stories here at TS from others dealing with Soundfield made the decision to purchase an alternate manufacturer's ambisonic mic an easy one.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 06:53:52 AM »
When I was looking into buying a Soundfield mic a number of years ago, the Soundfield people I contacted were incredibly inept, knew less about their products than I did, couldn't answer technical questions, and couldn't refer me to someone with the company who could.   

I'm surprised - the people at Soundfield I talked to were incredibly knowledgeable. Pieter Schillebeeckx was the man to talk to.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 09:10:24 AM »
My frustration stemmed from the fact that I knew that was the case and was a willing customer ready to purchase.  I was quite surprised, and subsequently disappointed, in the seeming total disregard and disinterest on the part of at least three or four different representatives I talked with, at being unable to get in touch with the right people there despite repeated efforts.  Perhaps the problem was with their rep network here in the USA.  Sales support issues aside, I asked numerous times to be connected with someone technically knowledgeable at the home office in the UK, which went nowhere.    That experience, in combination with reading reports of at least two other members here at TS concerning deep frustrations with sales and service support, which in all cases ended with the members selling their microphones and moving on despite the promise of the technology when working correctly, forced me to look elsewhere.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 06:49:05 PM »
My frustration stemmed from the fact that I knew that was the case and was a willing customer ready to purchase.  I was quite surprised, and subsequently disappointed, in the seeming total disregard and disinterest on the part of at least three or four different representatives I talked with, at being unable to get in touch with the right people there despite repeated efforts.  Perhaps the problem was with their rep network here in the USA.  Sales support issues aside, I asked numerous times to be connected with someone technically knowledgeable at the home office in the UK, which went nowhere.    That experience, in combination with reading reports of at least two other members here at TS concerning deep frustrations with sales and service support, which in all cases ended with the members selling their microphones and moving on despite the promise of the technology when working correctly, forced me to look elsewhere.

That's sad - though it looks like the US distribution was the problem, rather than Soundfield themselves.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com