Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Time to replace my Logitech Squeezebox; suggestions?

(1/4) > >>

tapeworm48:
Looks like the display on my Slimdevices Squeezebox has bit the dust.  What do people recommend for a replacement?

I use it in my mainroom for wireless playback of my iTunes collection and FLAC audio recordings.  Something with high audio quality, fast response, and remote/app capability is highly preferred.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

kindms:

--- Quote from: tapeworm48 on March 27, 2017, 03:17:07 PM ---Looks like the display on my Slimdevices Squeezebox has bit the dust.  What do people recommend for a replacement?

I use it in my mainroom for wireless playback of my iTunes collection and FLAC audio recordings.  Something with high audio quality, fast response, and remote/app capability is highly preferred.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

--- End quote ---

first gen amazon fire tv (if you need optical) or 2nd gen HDMI only. There is a $3 app which will make it a squeezebox player. I use it with mine. work great. only downside is apps. it doesn't allow you to fire up pandora etc through the app like it does on the logitech devices. but all of those apps are available on the fire tv anyway so not a huge deal.

The fire sticks also can be used but HDMI only as well.

tapeworm48:
thanks, i will look into this one.  any other suggestions?

Chilly Brioschi:
If you have a modest amount of tech skill and a little time, an Intel NUC does 4K video on HDMI, Hi-Res audio to 7.1, SS USB3.0 (x4), and fast Wi-Fi, SD, and SSD support to SATA3

http://www.staples.com/Intel-NUC5CPYH-Intel-Celeron-N3050-Dual-Core-Desktop-Computer/product_IM1ZY0516

There are faster versions than this one for more $$$, if you are a gamer or are going to edit with it.
The NUC can be had for less than at Staples, if you shop it, of course.

From http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5cpyh.html  :

Product Overview

NUC5CPYH is one of the most fully featured Intel® NUCs.  Based on a dual-core Celeron® processor, this Intel® NUC includes new features such as a VGA port, SDXC card slot, and TOSLINK* audio output while continuing to offer 4x USB 3.0 ports, 4K video support, and 802.11ac Wi-Fi*.  Also, we have secured the base with the Kensington lock, significantly improving IT asset security.  From entry-level consumers in emerging markets, to organizations looking for a value-oriented mini-PC, NUC5CPYH is the smart choice.

Brian Skalinder:
tw48 -- I have two functioning Squeezeboxes gathering dust on the shelf, if you want one or both for a reasonable price.  One is a Classic, I think, and the other for certain is a v3.  You're welcome to one or both at a reasonable price -- just shoot me a PM and we'll sort out the details.

If you're looking to move on from the SB, consider Google Chromecast.  I transitioned from my SB devices to Google Chromecast Audio (CcA).  I replaced 2 Squeezeboxes with just CcA, as I merely used them for the interface.  (I added a third CcA + an inexpensive preamp to drive speakers in an additional space.)  And I replaced one Boom with CcA + inexpensive powered speakers like this one, and added the same setup to an another space.  At the time, I wasn't having much luck finding 2+ SB add-ons at reasonable prices, so switched up my configuration entirely.

On the software side, I pair the CcA with BubbleUPnP server and Android app for playback control of my locally hosted music, and use TuneIn for radio and Spotify / Pandora for streaming, all controlled through my Android devices (tablet or phone).

In all honesty, I find the Chromecast Audio a clunkier solution and user experience than the SB, but the price is right ($35 each) and at the time I needed to replace and expand my home audio and found it difficult to source the extra SB devices I needed.

Note Chromecast, to the best of my knowledge, doesn't handle 24-bit.  For my purposes these days, that's a trade off I can accept.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version