Gear / Technical Help > Playback Forum

Record player and amplifier question: Rega Planar 1 and Cyrus II

(1/2) > >>

Humbug:
It's my birthday soon, and I'm in the market for my first LP player - are these two a good match? I'm concerned that the Rega Planar I does not have a preamp - will it work with the Cyrus?

Here's a pic of the inputs for my '80s Cyrus 2:

Cheers,

Humbug

dyneq:
Looks like you're all set. First, use the switch to choose the type of cartridge you are using (MC stands for Moving Coil and MM stands for Moving Magnet). Then, use the corresponding pair of 'PHONO INPUTS' to connect to the turntable's outputs.

Finally, make sure to connect the ground wire from the turntable to the GND terminal.

Do you already have some vinyl to play?

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

Humbug:

--- Quote from: dyneq on April 05, 2017, 10:48:09 AM ---Looks like you're all set. First, use the switch to choose the type of cartridge you are using (MC stands for Moving Coil and MM stands for Moving Magnet). Then, use the corresponding pair of 'PHONO INPUTS' to connect to the turntable's outputs.

Finally, make sure to connect the ground wire from the turntable to the GND terminal.

Do you already have some vinyl to play?

Enjoy!

Enjoy!

--- End quote ---

Cool, thank you. I have a ton of vinyl, from memory, here's some of it:

Led Zeppelin's entire back catalogue
Hendrix live at the Beeb on triple sided purple vinyl (might stick to the CD for this one)
Pink Floyd - Meddle
~12 x Led Zeppelin bootlegs pressed in the '80s (most of these I have on CDR)
Alternative Abbey Road and Sgt Peppers
Ride's (Oxford shoegaze band) entire first two years output
Abba's greatest hits :-)
The Eagles "
Guns 'n' Roses - Appetite for destruction
The Who - Live at Leeds
The Who - Quadrophenia
Cream - live at RAH (I expect this will halve in value if I break the seal on the box set)
Elton John - Madman Across The Water
various other singles and albums I inherited from my parents

and on the way....Rose Hill Drive's new album, Mania (vinyl only release)

Humbug:
By the way is a vinyl cleaning machine absolutely essential?

Most of the records were bought new and have been carefully stored for 20-30 years, but a few were second hand purchases.

dyneq:
I only listen to my vinyl occasionally, so I use manual cleaning methods. I would guess that a vacuum system could do a better job, but haven't taken the plunge.

There are DIY solutions out there if you like to tinker. Moke posted his solution on here a while back.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version