Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Internal depth & dimensions of MOVO WST windscreens?

(1/1)

Gutbucket:
Hey you Movo 'Balistic Nylon' windscreen (super softy clone) users, if you could take a couple measurements of your Movo WST windscreens you can help me figure out a which windscreen I may be able to adapt for use with some non-standard microphones.  I've not been able to find this information online.

The WSTT50 is nominally 3cm
The WST80 is nominally 6cm
The WST100 is nominally 8cm

>Does the nominal measurement accurately indicate the actual internal depth clearance as measured from the deepest insertion point out to the inner-most edge of the flange of the rubber end-cap coupler?  (if not what is the actual measurement?)
>How much further can the eraser end of a pencil be pushed in once it lightly 'bottoms out'? (slightly compressing the internal end-foam)
>How deep is the  rubber coupler's microphone mounting flange? (same depth as the external flange around the outer edge of the rubber endcap?)
>What is the exterior diameter of the entire rubber end cap?
>What is the overall external length of WSTT50, WST80 and WST100?

Thanks for your help!

Gutbucket:
Thank you kindly and much obliged.  Seems you have the WS80.

I was thinking of replacing B-A-Shures, used in my typical non-conformist setup on microphones neither of these windscreens were intended for.  I ended up modifying some beat-up Shures with a makeshift hole-punch and a foam hair curlers as mic bushing for the Wanee fest.  Don't laugh, it worked really well.  Although happy with that solution, I may still pursue the Movo route as I like the fabric outer cover and compact size, and I think this info will be useful here for others, so if anyone else has dimensions for the other models please post them.

So we're comparing finger sizes now?  :o

voltronic:
I have the WSTT50 and will gladly take the digital calipers to it.  Would you like that in imperial or metric?   :hmmm:

Gutbucket:
Either is fine. I'll convert and post a summary once we get a few more reports, thanks!

voltronic:
Measurements below for WSTT50:

--- Quote from: Gutbucket on April 11, 2017, 10:34:20 AM --->Does the nominal measurement accurately indicate the actual internal depth clearance as measured from the deepest insertion point out to the inner-most edge of the flange of the rubber end-cap coupler?  (if not what is the actual measurement?)
--- End quote ---
Ha!  Not at all.  6 cm.

--- Quote --->How much further can the eraser end of a pencil be pushed in once it lightly 'bottoms out'? (slightly compressing the internal end-foam)
--- End quote ---
Almost a full cm more.  Difficult to measure as the inner foam is the large open-cell variety.

--- Quote --->How deep is the  rubber coupler's microphone mounting flange? (same depth as the external flange around the outer edge of the rubber endcap?)
--- End quote ---
External flange where "MOVO" is printed is 17 mm.
Thickness of rubber that contacts the mic body is 1.5 mm.
That contact area is countersunk / beveled inwards towards the head of the screen 5 mm.  Inner beveled area is 37 mm dia. 

--- Quote --->What is the exterior diameter of the entire rubber end cap?
--- End quote ---
7 cm

--- Quote --->What is the overall external length of WSTT50, WST80 and WST100?
--- End quote ---
WSTT50 is 100 mm total length.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version