Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

AKG C34

(1/4) > >>

Charlie Miller:
Here’s a nice ‘old’ microphone. It’s a AKG C34 which was used by The Grateful Dead on stage for many years. It was used M/S as Mickey’s overhead mic. The last time it was used was July 9, 1995 at Soldier Field. When I powered it up it worked perfectly. No static at all from the controller box. I used it on stage for some Kimock shows and the results were stunning. I’ll post some links soon. I was told that I can buy the mic if I promise not to resell it, after all, it was used on stage by the band.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BynlChBOY6RsVWE3c1JGVUJPaDA

Edit:
One of the band members threw up in the road case that the mic came in, so they removed the foam padding. Wouldn’t tell me which member

Charlie Miller:
I wish I had taken a pic of the controller before changing the settings. I think it was Omni + fig8.

perks:
Did Healy run an AKG stereo mic at the board? I have some pics of friends standing in front of one inside the SBD area fence from McNichols 1990. I had always thought that was where the audience came from in an Ultramatrix recording. Sweet mic to own. A museum piece really.

dactylus:

Nice mic and a piece of history!  Thanks for posting Charlie!!

Charlie Miller:

--- Quote from: perks on September 30, 2017, 12:04:39 PM ---Did Healy run an AKG stereo mic at the board? I have some pics of friends standing in front of one inside the SBD area fence from McNichols 1990. I had always thought that was where the audience came from in an Ultramatrix recording. Sweet mic to own. A museum piece really.

--- End quote ---

Don Pearson and Howard Danchik from Ultrasound ran the AKG C42 at the board M/S and mixed it with a delayed board feed. They also made 4-track VHS tapes where the board is digital pcm audio on the video track and the ambient mics are on the audio track. I have a bunch of these which I’ve mixed down.
Here’s an example: http://db.etree.org/shn/138723

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version