Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Trying to upload to archive.org and finding it overwhelming

(1/2) > >>

jackstraw2679:
I've been taping for a few years but have never uploaded anything to internet archive. I have files that I've split into tracks using Cd wave and I want to get them up to share. What is the specific workflow that I should use. I've primarily been using Audacity so I would like to keep that in the process. what I'm doing at this point is going from SD>audacity>Cd wave> hard drive file. I've shared a few with Dropbox but would like to share them to a wider crowd. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks.

rocksuitcase:
I used to be intimidated by it and am now relatively comfortable with it. I'm sure some others have better advice, BUT, I use Audacity and cdwav so I'll give you my abbreviated work flow: (You need TLH also)

Audacity: edit, fades, levels, EQ     I end up with a file titled bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo_finaledit        My mentor says name it bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfodxt
in cdwav: I cut it into tracks, save them into a folder titled bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo wavs   I also save the cue sheet (typically my filesets are 24/48)
Using Traders Little Helper: convert the 24 bit wavs to 24 bit flacs level 8; creating an ffp file saved into a folder named bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo flacs  ( I then do the same for 24 bit mp3-but NOT required for LMA uploads)

Then I go back to the final edit in Audacity; convert that to 44100, save as 16 bit signed wav titled bandnameyyymmdd-16micinfo_finaledit into a folder titled bandnameyyymmdd-16 wavs
then load that up into cdwav editor; load the previously saved cue sheet, say NO to "do you wish to open the file associated with"
Save into the folder titled bandnameyyymmdd-16 wavs
Using Traders Little Helper I then convert the 16 bit wavs to 16 bit flacs level 8; creating an ffp file saved into a folder named bandnameyyymmdd-16 flacs

Now you have four folders (five if you do 24 bit mp3's). the flac folders should have the .ffp files and a .txt file all with the same nomenclature (i.e. bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo.txt; bandnameyyymmdd-bitmicinfo.ffp)

For upload to LMA, you follow these instructions: https://ia802709.us.archive.org/10/items/lmaupload/lmaupload.html
uploading your 24 bit files, following through to completion, adding in all the metadata and then do the same for the 16 bit filesets

One optional aspect I like to be as detailed as possible with the LMA sequence is the "Topics" section. this is like a hashtag indentifier for searching. I typically put in:
 band name; individual artists; my TS upload account handle; bit depth; city; venue        as one example, her is a topics entry of mine:
Drive-By Truckers; The Egg; Hart Theatre; Albany NY; Rocksuitcase ( I omitted the band member names but do use them for some LMA uploads)

jackstraw2679:
Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

billydee:

--- Quote from: jackstraw2679 on October 06, 2017, 05:45:55 AM ---Thanks for the response, I'll give it a try and see how it goes.

--- End quote ---
Hi there. Let me know if you still need help. I recently put together an MS Word document workflow with a few screenshots to help a friend start upping shows to LMA. the workflow begins once your files are ready (tracked and flac'd).

vanark:
There is an upload guide for the LMA on the LMA. If it can be improved, let me know and I can make changes.

https://archive.org/download/lmaupload/lmaupload.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version